User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dum dum duuuum - Trying to find my first REAL job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Dum dum duuuum - Trying to find my first REAL job!

I haven't posted here in quite some time, probably because life has been so busy and crazy. It has absolutely nothing to do with you guys personally, I swear! I am still growing CPs, with a recently assembled sundew tank and a variety of hardened Neps for my new patio. They are all more or less "on hold" while I figure my life out, which translates to me watering them but not paying them much attention!

I graduated college with my BA in Psychology a few weeks back and now I'm on a small vacation from work (teaching drum lessons) in order to find a new job in San Diego (my new home as of February 1st). My girlfriend and I already have an awesome apartment here, so it's just a matter of me finding something that can pay the bills. Here's where my predicament comes in...

I've been on a serious job search for probably two weeks now, looking at everything from magazines to the San Diego Zoo and I'm having a hell of a time finding a) what I'm qualified for b) something fulfilling and c) something that pays well. I've lightly considered doing something related to psychology, but it's not my first choice. I'm more interested in psychology than I am passionate about it, but if an opportunity came along I probably wouldn't pass it up. My current job has given me valuable experience with kids, music education, and running my own business, which is essentially what I've been doing, since my students pay me directly and I pay the store studio rent. While I plan to still teach part-time here in San Diego, it's not my first priority. I'm very much ready for a career change, one in which I'll have the opportunity for advancement (I've hit the ceiling at my current job with roughly 50 students, plus there aren't any benefits). Luckily my parents have been nice enough to let me live at home while I attended school, allowing me to finish my education and save a substantial sum before starting my journey. I also feel like I have the potential to do something amazing with my life, and moving to this incredible city is the key to unlocking this potential.

Here's a short list of my career interests and what I'm good at:

- Music
    - Writing
    - Plants/Animals
    - Video Games
    - Non-profit/Environmental
    - Social Work

All of those tie in pretty closely with my hobbies, and it's quite difficult to find work in any of those fields (especially entry level!). So I'm reaching out to the TerraForums community in an effort to gain some perspective and hopefully some fresh ideas on how to go about this job search. I'd love to hear what you all do for a living and how you started out. I feel like I'm in a quarter life crisis (or post-college purgatory, if you will) and I absolutely need to find work before the move, which is roughly a month and a half away. I'm posting this from my new apartment in San Diego, and I'll be here until Saturday continuing my job search, so I'd greatly appreciate if you all could post some opinions, experiences and advice over the next couple days to aid in my quest.

I really hope this post doesn't come off as whiny, because I'm very excited about this huge change in my life. I've lived in the same city (Alta Loma, CA) for almost my entire life and I feel like there's this whole world of opportunity opening up to me. The challenge is finding what suits me and what I'll excel at, and what will ultimately make me happy and provide a stable and enjoyable life for me and my girlfriend. It's all very difficult and scary work, but I know there's a place for me somewhere out there!

Having said all that, I must now say this: Man, growing up is hard!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A B.A with Psychology is like having no degree at all. Same goes for Sociology, Anthropology, and a bunch others. You need a Masters degree to do anything in that field.

I would sign up with CareerBuilder.com, Monster, and a few others akin, as well as the temp agancies, just to get your foot in the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's very difficult to find something in life that:

A) You are qualified to do, and
    B) Pays 'well', and
    C) Is interesting to you, and
    D) Is something you won't eventually dread doing everyday, and
    E) Allows you enough time off.

Work has such a huge impact on one's quality of life. You could spend easily a third or more of your life at work. I really think finding a good job is about connections. In my field who you know can make or break your career. Most of my friends in other industries got places and good jobs based on connections. Most of them in the business world got their foot in the door via internships, and they swear by them. I'd suggest trying to hit up every job fair you can. It's a great opportunity to let people see you as more than just a resume', it allows you chance to ask them openly about the company and job, and it helps with your networking, which is invaluable.

I wish you luck - finding your place in the job/career field is anything but easy!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh... I know the feeling! Similar to what Jimscott was saying, my degree was worthless (Interdisciplinary Studies of Physical Sciences). I knew this beforehand so I was already planning on going to graduate school in higher education administration. In grad school I got married to a girl that was going to go to nursing school when I got done with grad school. She knew where she wanted to go so when I started looking for a job I was constrained to a relative vicinity of her school; and, there's only so many colleges in this area.

All my job experience is in housing but I was reaching all over the place just trying to find a job. I never counted but I would estimate that I submitted 35 - 45 applications and cover letters. I even applied for a job as a receptionist/administrative assistant (a job which I am staggeringly overqualified for) because I needed a job on a college campus. They didn't even hire me because they figured I would not be staying long, which they told me. Two weeks is nothing! I was searching and interviewing for six months. After my graduate assistancship ended and I hadn't found a job my wife and I had to move back in with my mom for the summer while I worked maintenance at the Rec Center of the school where I got my graduate degree.

My wife and I put a deposit down on an apartment just down the street from her nursing school (about an hour from where we were currently living) that we were going to move into at the end of summer before school started.

Well, I finally found a job and it is one I am happy with. It's giving me good experience and is a great job just out of graduate school.

Here's the underlying point: there is no job beneath you when you don't have one. Expand your search criteria and if you have to take a job that is not necessarily what you want to do or not in the area you want to pursue take it! You can continue to look for other jobs while you work and pay your bills.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're expecting too much from a first job and,as others have mentioned, you're asking a lot from a BA in Psychology.

The only job on your list that is plausible is social work, because the rest are hobbies, not professions. They seem so fulfilling that the supply of workers is way beyond the demand and the availability, pay and/or working conditions, therefore, tend to suck.

I spent a year printing photos and selling film & frames 7 years after getting an engineering degree. The moral of that story is to never feel that a job is beneath you or that you're at a dead end. Find a job that'll help with the rent and bills while you keep an eye out for something better. And be prepared to go back to school or do whatever it takes to get you that better job. Good luck.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moral of that story is to never feel that a job is beneath you or that you're at a dead end. Find a job that'll help with the rent and bills while you keep an eye out for something better. And be prepared to go back to school or do whatever it takes to get you that better job.
    i whole heartily agree with this statement...............find something to pay the bills ASAP, keep looking for better. also remember, alot of times finding a job in a favorite hobby often results in the death of your favorite hobby. a hobby is to help yah get away from the stresses of work and life. sometimes work and hobbies can intermingle fine but alot of the times they cant.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're expecting too much from a first job and,as others have mentioned, you're asking a lot from a BA in Psychology.
    What about a BS in Biology? Anyone got the lab hook up? lol
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a soon to have BS in accountancy and BA in German?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast