Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

media.

peat moss, silica sand and pumice or peat moss, and perlite.

this is what i want to plant
    dente
    cape sundew
    and s.Flava, or maybe oreophela

are both the soil the same? one better than the other? pros and cons?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter to be honest. All of the above will grow in pretty much anything. Some people will give you their personal preference... but then their plants won't be better than the next person's with a completely different media. Pure LFS... pure peat... peat and sand, peat and perlite, peat and bark and sand and perlite... I've even got some plants growing in peat/lfs/sand/packing peanuts/bark/charcoal/APS and God knows what else. I just threw some crap I had laying around into a tub and they're loving it. Everyone has their own mix.

I've seen very nice S. flava growing in clay in the wild. It was literally like sculpters clay. It was a fabulous plant. I wouldn't recommend adding clay to your media, however. Clays vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat and perlite is one of the better mixes. It provides an acid media with drainage. One problem with it is that the perlite floats which can surface over time compacting the bottom media. I have not found this to be a big problem unless you are using it as a soil for a bog. Also, your mix is lighter than if you used sand.

Anything with sand in it has the potential to leach harmful salts into the media. Of course you could sit there and wash the sand again and again, checking it by dropping a spoonful into a glass of vinegar as you went along and watch for bubbles, but that is a serious pain; not to mention unnecessary. Remember, sand is heavy too!

Pumice is something I haven't had any experience with. It would provide good drainage as well as have pores to hold in air and moisture. I know some people use pumice in Nepenthes mixes but other than that I am at a loss. Watch out for the size of the pumice stones as well, they can be pretty large. It may leach minerals but probably not so you could use it. I would still recommend the peat and perlite mix.

Hope it helps,
    -J.P.

Beat me to it JLAP
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its because there's this vendor that i'm not allowed to name, that only sells peat moss, silica sand and pumice and not peat,perlite. and i dont have any experience with these soil because i only use the one with fertilizer, and since i cant use it anymore, sand seems pretty nutrition free to me

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat, perlite, silica sand, long-fibered sphagnum...all are good in varying combinations. Everyone develops their preferences over time. I hate perlite myself. Mostly I use sand/peat or LFS, depending on the plant.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried peat & perlite..didnt like it, as was said, perlite" floats" and it looks really bad IMO.

I have tried peat & sand..hated it..it turned super-dense..I felt like my plants were growing in concrete.

im done experimenting!

For small pots, I like pure LFS..stays airy and open, but holds water.

For my larger mini-bogs, I fill them 90% with straight peat, nothing mixed in, then a top-dressing of LFS about 1-inch thick, for looks and to keep rain from splashing the peat around.

thats probably what I will go with for the rest of my life..

Scot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like perlite (totally understandable!) try aquatic plant soil. It's a more attractive brown, is inert, and doesn't float. It's a little heavier but still very light. 10 pounds is only like 6 bucks, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP- Aquatic plant soil? I have seen varying brands at places like Lowe's but they seem to contain fertilizer. Do you use a specific brand?

Thanks!
    -J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast