Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: the blue man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 dont insult what i believe 2) Dont knock tai chi if you dont understand it or anything for that matter. 3) Do research before you make statements.
    Your beliefs are not supported by fact. Deal with it.

As for research, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, in this case that Tai Chi cures cancer. Care to offer support of that claim? Articles from peer-reviewed medical journals only - all else is garbage.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The creationist viewpoint is a theological position, not a scientific one, as it is based not on evidence that can be debated...
    some one posted this on some thread about creationism, i liked it allot. Not saying what you beleive in is creationism, but its viewed theologically. It cant be debated!

But on your side, I do beleive meditation, and things like that ARE helpfull,but wont cure things like that, eating healthy, drinking green tea or any thing with anti-oxidants in it, and listening to your doctor are HEALTHY things to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be very ignorant to suggest that Chinese medicine, which has been established and practiced way longer than Western medicine is all garbage. It would also be very ignorant to suggest that natural herbs and plants are valueless and cannot help cure or prevent disease. Lastly it would also be ignorant to assume that you would need to withdraw from Western medicine practices because you're taking a specific herb. Quite to the contrary, many herbs do not interact with Western drugs and chemotherapy and can actually be taken simultaneously and result in additional benefits. I also think it would be enlightening if people actually took the time to read the statistics of how effective some of these drugs (like anti-depressants) really are.

Most obviously, Western medicine is broken. It's all about Pharmaceutical companies making money and creating new diseases and illnesses. They have a pill tailor made for everyone, for every symptom. You can't watch TV without seeing some kind of advertisement for a certain medication. People go to the doctors office suggesting they need X, instead of the doctor prescribing them X. It's just all backwards. Then you have a system that will not allow anything that isn't classified as a 'drug' to be sold as a treatment for an ailment, without a suit. It's so pathetic that they want to deem vitamins as drugs, and remove them from the OTC section.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokele
    Your beliefs are not supported by fact. Deal with it.

As for research, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, in this case that Tai Chi cures cancer. Care to offer support of that claim? Articles from peer-reviewed medical journals only - all else is garbage.

Mokele
    You truly are a special case Mokele. You do realize that most Chemotherapy treatments have no proof of curing cancer as well? I also can promise you there are no peer-reviewed medical journals for the treatments that most cancer patients are receiving today. Western cancer treatments are something that is debated in bio-ethics today, because the truth is most chemotherapy patients are nothing more than lab rats. Unless you get into a phase 3 or 4 trial you are really donating your body to science. Phases 1 and 2 trials are not even treatments at all, instead new experimental drugs are being tested on you for effectiveness and to figure out dosage amounts. The majority of these people die or their life is shortened by these chemotherapy treatments.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post

Oh, and I insult lots of people's beliefs. If I think something is idiotic, I'll be the first to let someone know.
    Just as your beliefs will be insulted, for they hold no respectable authority but rather resemble the rant of a child.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't fall into the trap of beliefs. I have ideas. Those can adapt....try it sometime
    You using middle school tactics because you're embarassed/upset that I tear your nonsensical/straw man arguments apart is getting old btw.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US-style medicine is the best at bringing someone back from the brink, but that doesn't make it good health care. If you think of health as being a twisting road along the edge of a canyon, our medical system focuses on building expensive cranes that can lift cars back up from further and further over the edge. The cars of people who have good insurance, that is. What we need are guard rails. Traditional cures and practices look like guard rails to me.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think "natural" cures are completely ineffective.... mostly because the flip side of that is assuming that all "natural" supplements, etc. are safe because they're "ineffective". Nothing irritates me more than seeing a commercial toting an herbal/etc product that's "PERFECTLY SAFE because it's ALL NATURAL!!!" Know what else is "natural" and "plant-derived"? Ricin (castor beans), cyanide (found in small amounts in almonds and apple seeds), atropine (jimsonweed), digoxin (foxglove), etc etc, all of which will kill you in fairly small doses. Anybody who doubts the power of certain plant compounds need only look to the world of illegal drugs... where do you think cocaine comes from?

I do feel that because of their complexity, those herbs that are biologically active are not going to be as targeted as drugs that have been tweaked in the lab. For example, atropine has a lot of medical uses, but you don't see doctors going and feeding people jimsonweed tea because there are a whole lot of nasties that come along with that... plants don't often manufacture just one toxin. Dosage is also very hard to control, since the amount of a compound in a plant is dependent on growing conditions (as growers of a particular herb will be quick to inform you). BUT the natural world is an excellent place to look for these compounds... nature can produce some pretty wild molecules that either can't be re-created in a lab or would be extremely difficult to do so. Sometimes all modern medicine is, is old cures whose active properties have been ferreted out and distilled into a more effective form. The most famous of all? Aspirin, derived from salicylic acid, named for its source- Salix, or willow trees.

Still... because of a lack of research, there are a LOT of so-called "natural cures" that do a) nothing or b) more harm than good. Colloidal silver is a prime example of this... first off, anything toted as a cure-all like that is an obvious fake, because there's simply no such thing. Silver has its place- it's found in assorted topical creams and cauterization compounds for its mild antiseptic properties to the best of my knowledge- but INGESTING a heavy metal is never a good idea, because it's never eliminated from the body, hence the blue man. You wouldn't attempt colloidal mercury, no? Same family...
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    If a woman collects the dew on a Lady's Mantle leaf in full moonlight, alone and drinks it, it will not preserve eternal youth, as was once believed. Sorry, ladies.
    It won't?!?!?!?!?

DANG and here I've been drinking gallons of the stuff... All for nothing...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast