What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the blue man

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, wrong, that is not assumed..not even remotely asumed.. :thumbdown:
if it was, there wouldnt be any discussion about it! ;)

"It is a martial art which is very effective in combat when no one has any weapons"

now its assumed! :-O

Scot

No offense Scot but have you taken any martial arts before? They don't put you in situations where one person has a gun at medium to far away range. There are no martial art styles that use guns...hence why it's stupid to even bring them into the picture. There's only discussion about it because people here assumed he believes that Tai Chi is effective against someone who has a gun, and in all fairness he never said anything about guns. He said martial arts, which does not encompass firearms.

There are no martial art styles that use guns.

Wouldn't it be cool if there WAS! How awesome would THAT be!

AYAAAAAAA BANG! TAKE THAT, CHUCK NORRIS!

No one studies martial arts to combat someone with a gun...
There are no martial art styles that use guns
Wrong again! I see you've never heard of krav maga.

If you are mugged at close range, you have a very good chance of defending yourself regardless even iif there is a gun, because a guns advantage is nullified at close range
Neg. As 99% of martial arts teachers will tell you..."don't be a hero". I've trained 2 different styles, and unless I was certain I was going to die anyway, I'd much rather just hand over my wallet. Plus, getting shot close range will tear you up way more than getting shot from far away.

y r u guys talking about martial arts, i thought this was about a blue man<.<

Neg. As 99% of martial arts teachers will tell you..."don't be a hero". I've trained 2 different styles, and unless I was certain I was going to die anyway, I'd much rather just hand over my wallet. Plus, getting shot close range will tear you up way more than getting shot from far away.

Um, duh

no one said you had to kick their butt or be a hero. Or stop it. There is defending yourself and there is stupid. Dieing over money is stupid. But a chance is better than none if your pretty sure your going to die, and that was my entire point... though mugging was not a good example

Well in that case we agree. Ahhh misunderstanding things on the internet.
Granted though, if I was 99% sure I was about to get shot in the face, I wouldn't use so much prior training, as I would use foaming at the mouth in an androgen-induced 'caged animal' type of fury. If it was me or them, I have no problems ripping someones jugular out...with my teeth.

If it was me or them, I have no problems ripping someones jugular out...with my teeth.

Yummy! Remind me that when I'm trying to steal some of your seedlings.

xvart.

mmm... fake vampire teeth get better grip... or so i hear...

:-)) Thats too much!

My dad is living proof that his treatment cured him, otherwise he would have been dead years ago.

I also agree, my grandmother, cousin and now my mother currently under chemo treatment is proof the stuff does do something for you. Yah, its not the nicest stuff around but if its going to give them another chance at life why not?

I don't take kindly the comment as chemo patients are "lab rats" either. Thats plain ignorance and rude. I don't consider my own mother to be a lab rat. :mad:

Because insulting someones beliefs is the fastest way to earn respect by others, so they are inclined to listen to you instead of skip over the post entierly?

Hes got my respect

Martial arts were originally developed in eastern culture, because fighting happened allot. It was intended for hand to hand combat when it was needed. And has increasingly been taught how to defend your self at close range gun point if needed, with hand guns becoming more common over the years, or any weapon for that matter.

Though i think i just reiterated this whole topic.

agreed..............know way to many ppl still walking around due to chemo..........the crap is poison but thats the point.........your just looking for it to kill the cancer faster than you. if i had the choice between teas and chemo for the most part ill take chemo........if my chances are slim to none, would rather live whats left of my life as comfortable as i can instead of sick as a dog on chemo. but thats a personal choice, will never knock a persons choice to pull out all the stops. it is after all their life to make the choice about.

Hes got my respect

Martial arts were originally developed in eastern culture, because fighting happened allot. It was intended for hand to hand combat when it was needed. And has increasingly been taught how to defend your self at close range gun point if needed, with hand guns becoming more common over the years, or any weapon for that matter.

Though i think i just reiterated this whole topic.

Actually mates martial arts started due to the greeks believe it or not. Mostly Alexander the Great and his army. They traveled east towards India and China. They met with the locals and taught them pankration (which consisted of wrestling, kixkboxing, and something else... correct me if you know). From there they broke off each country adapting its own.

:0o: this convo has taken multiple topics since i read it... take forever for me to replyto them all but ill try anyway

My mom had some of the best doctors in the country and when i suggested tai chi they never laughed. they said it would b good FOR HER BODY AND MIND! And as to tai chi not helping to fight any other disease it does. Better blood flow helps the body fight off disease no? Do you think laughter is useless? why do you think it is people feel better when theyve had a good laugh after being sad? endorphin are sent, blood flow, capillaries relax, muscles do the same. does that sound useless to you? ok, ill grant you parts of certain animals are useless. shark cartilage, apricot seeds are both natural ways to fight cancer. maybe thats a better way to have put it, not cure. chiropractice also helps colds, fights certain other bodily alments. wheres the drugs in that? All im saying is do more research before you make comments.

HAHAHAHA. Maybe a couple hundred years ago, but these days? Let's get serious. We already had this convo a couple months ago if we're just talking about martial arts, but these days, combat is guns and bombs. I'll grab a gun and "combat" any tai chi master :D.

You don't say! So does any kind of exercise.

Any respectable doctor would laugh in your face if you asked them if tai chi would help fight cancer, or any other disease for that matter. Eastern doctors don't count, because they don't know anything. I'm not being mean, I'm being serious. They don't know jack compared to western doctors. If anyone is remaining in the dark, its you. Thinking that tea and sucking on random roots on the 3rd Sunday of the month or whathaveyou is going to cure something is stupid. I've been around medicine my entire life...my dad is a doctor! But nooooo, I couldn't possibly know anything about medicine. As Clint said, if homeopathic treatments really worked, everyone would be using them. There wouldn't even be a need for pharmaceutical companies or any of that. I mean, why go to a doctor who trained for a minium of 6 years, and who can more than likely cure whatever you're suffering from, when you could go to some self proclaimed "mystic" old Asian guy, who will give you some tiger *******? This isn't some Hollywood fairy tale world, it's reality, and eastern treatments are for the most part, about as effective as a steaming pile of feces.

Oh, and I insult lots of people's beliefs. If I think something is idiotic, I'll be the first to let someone know. You're basically shrugging off hundreds of years of medical knowledge in order to willingly live in the stone age. Do I need to continue tearing this hocus pocus nonsense apart, or are you done?

No offense Scot but have you taken any martial arts before? They don't put you in situations where one person has a gun at medium to far away range. There are no martial art styles that use guns...hence why it's stupid to even bring them into the picture. There's only discussion about it because people here assumed he believes that Tai Chi is effective against someone who has a gun, and in all fairness he never said anything about guns. He said martial arts, which does not encompass firearms.

Then youre going to the wrong place. Military uses m/a against guns. hell our marine corps. has a m/a program that uses armbars, wrist locks, joint locks, sweeps, throws, pressure points (i think? i guess joint locks are in that category?) Brazilian Jujitsu is what they use i think...look around talk to the senseis and shifus (masters/teachers) about street self defense

My mom had some of the best doctors in the country and when i suggested tai chi they never laughed. they said it would b good FOR HER BODY AND MIND! And as to tai chi not helping to fight any other disease it does. Better blood flow helps the body fight off disease no? Do you think laughter is useless? why do you think it is people feel better when theyve had a good laugh after being sad? endorphin are sent, blood flow, capillaries relax, muscles do the same
It's pretty damn hard ot say who the best doctors in the country are. Lots of doctors that are ranked the "best" in their cities/states at least have their entire staff write reviews and send them into the medical association magazines, which of course, patients don't tend to look at. It certainly helps your reputation though to say "AOA ranked me #1 in Texas this year", even if it be an ill-gotten title.
The benefits you described are once again benefits of any type of exercise. Or it could just be the tai chi after all....I'm sure you know more than an oncologist. Here's a secret for ya: doctors sugar coat things. No one wants to hear "you're a lost cause and you only have a few days left", so doctors tend to tell you something like "try this, do this, blah blah blah, do all you can". Trust me, no doctor in their right mind would ever think, "tai chi! Why didn't I think of that! That's exactly what'll turn the tables in this person's favor in their battle against cancer!". Let's get real here.

chiropractice also helps colds, fights certain other bodily alments. wheres the drugs in that?
Lol! Chiropractors are an intermediate between hocus pocus eastern nonsense, and real doctors....but they're wayyy closer to the abracadabra tomfoolery. Chiropractors think they can cure the flu by poking you in a certain spot, or they can adjust your spine into a configuration that will make hepatitis go away. Chiropractors aren't totally useless, but they're pretty ridiculous, and lots of them are downright know-nothing sleazers. I've dealt with lots of them in my day.

All im saying is do more research before you make comments
In the nicest possible way, you know absolutely nothing about medicine. I've been around it all my life (lots of family members in many areas of medicine), worked in a doctors office for 7 years, taken a whole hell of a lot of classes about it (mostly on a molecular level except A&P). I could go on and on....

regardless of all that, youre mind is closed and therefore until you decide to open it up you cant fully understand healthcare or other things. im not saying i know everything but at least im open minded to others ideas and not being a pompous arrogant... person about things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back