Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: the blue man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    actually, esentially he did say that..
    he said "It is a martial art which is very effective in combat "..
    how many people engaged "in combat" are walking around without weapons??

Scot
    From the cases / issues I have to work with on a yearly bases I'd have to say all the ones I've come across have been without weapons. Personal arguments mixed with alcohol is a great contributing factor to quickly getting a situation out of control. Or even just alcohol in general.

If there is something you can do to create a distraction or to defend yourself in order to get out of a situation, its defiantly worth the effort and training to do so. Even the skill of being able to keep your head cool during an incident is worth the effort as well.

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many people engaged "in combat" are walking around without weapons??
    A better question is how many people you are likely to encounter out of combat are walking around with weapons. Armed combat aside (there is a reason guns replaced close quarter combat long ago) it is not useless unless you are expecting to get shot at every turn. Or you could not learn any physical defense skills, martial arts or otherwise, and get beaten to a pulp by fists, because who needs to know anything about punching when you have accuracy on the shooting range.

"I dont need to learn how to throw a punch (martial arts or in general) because If someone wants to shoot me i will likely get shot"
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    A better question is how many people you are likely to encounter out of combat are walking around with weapons. Armed combat aside (there is a reason guns replaced close quarter combat long ago) it is not useless unless you are expecting to get shot at every turn. Or you could not learn any physical defense skills, martial arts or otherwise, and get beaten to a pulp by fists, because who needs to know anything about punching when you have accuracy on the shooting range.

"I dont need to learn how to throw a punch (martial arts or in general) because If someone wants to shoot me i will likely get shot"
    Finch,
    I dont quite understand what you are saying..

"A better question is how many people you are likely to encounter out of combat are walking around with weapons."

in a situation where you are going to be mugged or otherwise attacked,
    the answer is "a lot"

I think you meant to imply the answer is "not a lot"..but I dont agree with that at all.

If you are walking around in an area where muggings are likely for example, probably about 99% would have a knife or gun..(probably 90% with a gun)
    unless you are getting mugged in rural south dakota maybe..
    but otherwise, in any city, if you find yourself in a "combat situation" where you need to defend yourself, the person you need to defend yourself from would virtually always have a gun..

maybe things are different elsewhere..but thats the situation in the 4 largest cities in New York State..(that would be NYC, Syracuse, Rochester & Buffalo..the cities I am very familiar with..)

I just avoid those certain areas! which luckily for me is very easy to do..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not saying learning martial arts is a BAD thing!
    I would like to learn some myself..self-defense skills are a great thing to have..
    I just find the statement ""It is a martial art which is very effective in combat " to be laughable..

99% of the time it would be useless in any "combat situation"..regardless of how you define the word "combat"..

If im walking around certain neighboorhoods of Rochester at night (or even during the day) even being a black-belt would be virtually useless..
    there are extremely few "unarmed" criminals out there..not in the cities anyway..even the petty thug teenagers have guns...

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a form of martial arts is used in the same sentence as combat it is assumed that weapons are not involved. No one studies martial arts to combat someone with a gun...
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    When a form of martial arts is used in the same sentence as combat it is assumed that weapons are not involved.
    No, wrong, that is not assumed..not even remotely asumed..
    if it was, there wouldnt be any discussion about it!

"It is a martial art which is very effective in combat when no one has any weapons"

now its assumed!

Scot

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to remind folks that everyone here is entitled to their opinions. If you want to debate a point, you can do so without being derogatory or insulting to someone else. I've seen some comments in here that were poorly worded to say the least.

Continue the discussion but if I see any more comments that are condescending or insulting, I will be PMing you.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better question is how many people you are likely to encounter out of combat are walking around with weapons."

in a situation where you are going to be mugged or otherwise attacked,
    the answer is "a lot"

I think you meant to imply the answer is "not a lot"..but I dont agree with that at all.

If you are walking around in an area where muggings are likely for example, probably about 99% would have a knife or gun..(probably 90% with a gun)
    unless you are getting mugged in rural south dakota maybe..
    but otherwise, in any city, if you find yourself in a "combat situation" where you need to defend yourself, the person you need to defend yourself from would virtually always have a gun..

maybe things are different elsewhere..but thats the situation in the 4 largest cities in New York State..(that would be NYC, Syracuse, Rochester & Buffalo..the cities I am very familiar with..)

I just avoid those certain areas! which luckily for me is very easy to do..
    I disagree, it is not dependent if they have a gun or not but if they are within arm's reach. Martial arts people are trained to knock knifes and guns out of hands and such, but if they are out of arm's reach that wont happen. If you are mugged at close range, you have a very good chance of defending yourself regardless even iif there is a gun, because a guns advantage is nullified at close range. The entire point of a gun was to kill without getting close enough to get hit back. Holding a gun to a blackbelts head is a bad idea... but at long range, not so much.

I just find the statement ""It is a martial art which is very effective in combat " to be laughable..
    I agree with the general statement, but some martial art defense and attack stuff is also trained to our armed forces. If it was completely useless it would not be taught
    that makes no logic

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast