What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraforums Cup

Mario Andretti was in F1. His son is in NASCAR I think.

John Andretti was the best nascar driver ever.

!! !! !!NOT!! !! !!

So....is the Cup up?

And why DO flames shoot out the sides of the cars??

It's been up since I started this tread.

Flames shoot out the sides of the cars because of the heat buildup inside the car. It works like a heat sink. Flames shooting out the side helps cool the inside of the car so the driver will be more comfortable.

Flames shoot out the sides of the cars because of the heat buildup inside the car. It works like a heat sink. Flames shooting out the side helps cool the inside of the car so the driver will be more comfortable.

And it looks freaking cool. I mean seriously, PAK, would you rather date someone with a car that has bursting flames or someone without flames? ??

xvart.

Last edited:
I guess that would depend on where the flames are bursting from.

lol Ummmm...I'd rather date someone who has a good utility car that can haul old furniture and plants. :D Flames are best utilized to toast marshmallows. :rolleyes:

So...are you saying that the flames are deliberately set off? Is there a "Shoot Flames" button on the inside of the car?

No there is no "button". As the heat is absorbed, the cockpit is cooled. Same as any cooling devise. Like your home AC, cool air comes out one side, and hot air comes out the other side. Freezers and refrigerators work on the same principle, but in a nascar car it's taken to an extreme. There is no fan to blow the hot air out, like in your home ac. It absorbs heat into a monotwin vapor receptacle, otherwise known as a steam bucket. The heat builds up until it reaches combustion. When it conbusts, a 3-phase direct current motor pumps the heat out the side of the car through the fender sprocket.
When the super heated steam hits the oxygen in the air it ignites and that is the flames that you see. That's why you see the flames more at night races than during the day. As the air cools at night, more oxygen settles near the ground or in this case the track.

This is as non technical I can make it. Maybe somebody can add to what I said or explain it better than I did.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have been wondering about that for a long time. It took me a while to realize I wasn't imagining I was seeing flames. And no one seemed to get excited about it like the car was about to blow up.

The time is almost here, less than two weeks left. Hurry up and get signed up.

There is a geocaching group too.

geocache group number is 24683

Password is geocache

Now we can have twice the fun

:banana2:

C'mon...its almost time! Sign up for the TerraForums cup! We are especially in need of women! I'm drowning in testosterone in there!

Jan...where is Jan??

Tomorrow night is the first race. It's the Bud Shootout. It's not a points race so we don't have to choose drivers for it., that will start next week. You should watch this race to get ideas who to choose for next week.

There is still time to sign up. So if you haven't yet, now is the time.

I've heard of that race. So is this kinda like a practice so everyone gets their feet wet back into racing after the off season?

I'll have to grab me a Bud and some beer nuts. hehe

Actually the only thing good about Budweiser is their commercials with the Clydesdales. Their Superbowl commercial was awesome.

I'll take a Clydesdale over a stock car any day. :D

No it's not "practice" It is a race to determine the front two rows for the Daytona 500. There is also a lot of money to be won.

Oh. I thought they decided that in...what do you call those things...those speed trial things before the race.

I hope Jeff Burton wins it. :D

Women ???.

Didn't I already say that once?

The season starts tomorrow, so you need to sign up now if you're going to.

We have a great group of people this year and it's going to be a lot of fun. If anybody needs some advice on what to do, please ask me.

One last reminder!! The race starts in about an hour or so.. you still have time to sign up and get points for this week!!

Well, we see who takes the lead after this fine first week of racing!:-D

Ryan Newman? Who would have thunk it?

Yeah...no kiddin. Although, as I said, there are MANY good drivers in the batch who are very good but get ignored by the press. Good for Newman!

Congrats on taking the lead, LAS76!

Back