What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Water Thread

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
On the advice of senior growers, I recently bought a TDS meter to test water for my CP's. Even though I get their water from vending machines, in front of every supermarket in AZ (Andy and Joseph know what I'm talking about), it is still recomended to check it...every time you refill. Vending machines have been known to dispence straight tap water. The TDS meter was only $15.99 shipped, from 'that auction' site, and I think a good insurance investment for the hundreds of dollars many have in their CP collection.
Anyway, I tested the RO water from the vending machine and it test at 5ppm. But as for my Phoenix tap water, well I knew it would be bad, but..............
drum roll..........................................................................:censor:

Phoenix tap water is - 528ppm.

I'd venture to guess that this is one of highest TDS tap water in the country. But I'm hoping more of you will weigh in with your cities tap water TDS count.

Egads! Come to Buffalo, I set out plastic trays to collect the snow! Seriously, can you buy distilled water at your local grocery stores? My wife buys me a couple gallons per week.

They have RO water machines. The closest grocery store to me is $.20 per gallon with 3 machines, but they run from $.15 to $.30 a gallon, depending on the store. I take 2, 5 gallon containers about once a month for my water.

.....and while our tap water is almost solid, (LOL), at least we don't have to melt it....

We pay 95 cents per gallon. Man, I's stock up!

Store-bought RO water runs about 39 cents a gallon here IF you bring your own container...which I do.

I don't have a TDS meter to test my water.

I collect rainwater. When I run out I have to pay .25 per gallon, bring your own container.
If I had to buy water off the shelf at .95 per gallon I'd seriously invest in a RO unit.

There is a wondeful place called super wallmart(drives me crazy sorta) the water tastes completely bland compared to my spring so go there :) It is like 25 cents per gallon and syas it is RO water

my tap water in Maine is 23 ppm and ro water is 0ppm.
can't ask for anything better then that:)
peace,
Zero

my tap water in Maine is 23 ppm and ro water is 0ppm.
can't ask for anything better then that:)
peace,
Zero

I'm jealous. That's likly some of the cleanest tap water.

Be happy you didn't take the advice some like to toss out "Use tap water, I have for years with no problem." there is just way too much variance! I think my tap water is like 180, but 1 mile away my parents are on a different water system (i'm on city) and theirs is about 400ppm of TDS.

Andrew

With my $25 TDS meter, my tap water is a steady 300ppm. :(

Local grocery stores have both distilled and RO water that both fall into the 30ppm range.

Price is anywhere from 29¢ to 39¢ a gallon.

the grocery stores near me only offer drinking water with sodium added in, i have to go down to the pharmacy and get distilled water there, $1.39 per gallon. Usually it's sold out and i have to come back another day:-(

Phoenix tap water is - 528ppm.

I'd venture to guess that this is one of highest TDS tap water in the country.
NOPE! Lubbock water is over 1000ppm. That's from the city water quality report. We have to chew before we swallow.

I get mine from the refill machines at walmart. I think it's 29 cents or something

I use rainwater, but when I run out, which has been very often in the last two years, I use my tap water. It's only about 80 ppm.

:banana2:

Man, and I thought my tap water was bad.

Awhile back it was around 120-140 TDS, but I checked it just now and its 230. Wonder what caused the change..

My tap is about 380ppm, and the RO brings it down to about 140ppm. Is that good?

Not really Jayson. I believe The Savage Garden says that water suitable for CPs should be 50 ppm and under and I think Barry Rice's book says water up to 100 ppm is fine. I tend to change the water in my trays if I check and its above 60ppm.

I just changed out all my pre-filters and membrane on my unit and I'm getting water in the 18ppm area.

ours isnt too bad. like 170ppm. i use it when we have a dry spell.

Alex

JRF, its bran new so....Should I put another filter on it or something?

What RO unit do you have? If its one of those 2 filter units, it might just not be up to the task of lowering the 380 ppm water to a CP safe level. Or the filters could need to be flushed.

Back