Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite beer is free beer! If I had to go out and buy beer it would be an pale ale.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polygamy Porter... from SLC, Utah

or

Taj Mahal... Indian beer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Cow! How did I miss THIS thread?

I think pretty much any brew from Saranak (for a store bought beer) - best ones being black forrest and caramel porter.

However, I did have a blueberry ale made by some Long Island company when I was out at a specialty brew restaurant that blew me away (no pun intended....this time).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of the books ive found handy for home brewing for those interested are:

for the serious on the cheap do it yourself type The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible by Leon W. Kania is pretty cool......has all kinds of stuff from home made wine and beer to oddball things like milk wine. its an interesting read.

for beer The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian has been through 3 editions and like 25 reprints since 1984........can usually be found cheap at a used book store.....granted the newest one will have the most up to date info and i recommend atleast finding on printed in 1991(the second edition) or later....i found one for $2 at a used book store.......tons of info.

as an companion to the above if you are seriously interested in beer Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher is pretty cool. the author assumes you know the basics or have the Joy of Home Brewing so doesnt cover the basic info.........on its own it just a good read even if your not serious about brewing beer but just like beer. has all kinds of ideas from off the wall types chocolate mint stout to duplicating brews from 200 plus years ago. all kinds of neat recipes, history and facts and such things made it well worth the $20 new at Barnes and Noble
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does steel reserve count as beer?
    REAL tequelia as`in 100% agave is good stuff.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joy of Home Brewing is a great book.

Does Radical Brewing only have full mash recipies or what? I do either partial mash or extract, since I don't have the equipment (yet) for full.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a mix............if he knew of an extract recipe he gives it to but some of them have no extract equivalent, especially when trying to recreate something like Finnish Sahti or Russian Kvass.....there is an extract recipe for a circa 1800 Welsh ale so some of the other old stuff its hit or miss......if he knew how to make them with extracts instead of all grain he includes it........there are about 90 complete recipes plus many more where he tells yah pretty much what they did so you can experiment going off another recipe and i would say roughly half have an extract recipe along with the whole grain

edited to ad: Radical Brewing isnt just a "cook book" its about 300 pages of info of which there are 90 recipes......its a good read if you just like to drink beer and arent going to brew. the first chapter is entitled "An Embellished History of Beer" which includes a "Mostly True Beer History Timeline" in chapter 3 there is a section called "How Not To Screw it Up".....under the different brews is the "(Not So Dumb) Blondes"....."Brews of Beelzebub: Strong Pale Ales"...."Smokin: Beers That Is"......"Outlaw Ales of Northern Germany"....."The Horrors of Colonial Ales"....."Mead Glorious Mead" amoung many others...............the author has a heck of a sense of humor and the book is just fun to sit and read
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never went full mash either because of equipment, space, and ambition shortages.

The Complete Joy is the only homebrewing book that a beginner needs. Once you're past that, you can find all the prose and recipes you'll ever need on the internet. Anyway, after I made enough different styles, I began thinking up recipes either as I was buying supplies or as I was brewing. Some of my best successes and certainly my worst failure were created that way. And remember to drink the yeast to prevent hangovers.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast