What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Sterile Transfer chamber in 15 mins!

Hey guys,

Been reading up on Tissue Culture so on but I didn't wanna pay a lot to give it a whirl so while I was heatng up my TV dinner tonight I put this little puppy together:

sterile1.jpg

Made with a 66 quart clear Sterilite storage box (with white lid) from target
(no that's not anything illegal on the table it's only catnip- the cats run from the smell of new plastic and silicone :) )

sterile2.jpg

The "arm hole guards" or whatever you calll them are made from 4" diameter Closet Flange(s) from Home Depot siliconed in place

sterile3.jpg

all sealed up and Ready to Rock! (other hand taking the pic)

Here's how I did it if you happen to be interested in sterile techniques but wanna save some $$:

1) trace the outer diameter of the closet flanges on the lid with a sharpie
2) using a drill trace the lines drilling every 1/2" or so
3) put the drill aside and grab a heavy duty utility knife and open a vein, no, be very careful and trace the knife from those drilled holes one to the next like connect the dots- here you will have two nice holes
4) test fit the closet flanges in the holes, put box upright (top facing up)
5) put silicone on the back of the front of the flange, place in holes, give a slight pressure and twist to secure in place and let dry
6) remove lid and apply silicone around the inside edge where the flanges emerge from the lid, this will super seal the gaps around the arm holes to make sure no air is getting in

This isn't my invention, I saw it somewhere online and made notes. It took me only 15 minutes to do the bulk of the project. compare that with buying a sterile transfer hood (even without a HEPA flow) and you're looking at way more than this which cost me all of about $20 :
Box $8
2 Plastic Closet Flanges $8
Silicone $3
Of course you could also cut another hole and attach a small $20 HEPA filter unit from Wal Mart to give you everything for about $40 if it's really needed.

I hope someone finds a use for this info! :)

DUDE, THAT IS STRAIGHT ILL. WOW! Thanks for sharing!!!

swiggity sweet! :D :-))

Looks good! Let us know how it works!

I'm curious if you're gonna have problems with jars falling over. The biggest problem I have with working in home made hoods and such is that space gets short quickly, and tools are awkard due to size.

Does your container make a good seal, or are you gonna tape it up too? Looks like the ones I pick up from walmart, they never grip right for me and the cover is always popping off. :crap:

-Nate

Yes, most boxes are angled but this one is nice and almost perfectly square - I shopped around to find one like it - Target is the place! :)
I could use plastic tape or something however, the lid sticks on really well - I can carry it aroudn with my arms through the holes. It has some tabs on either end's handle that "snap" to hold it in place. To ease it open just lift a side handle away from the side and the tabs let go - it will kind of swing open like it's on a hinge from the other tabs on the oposite side, as in pic #2. Definately pays to look around to find a box you like.

Ah! There you go, we have a mini target here so they don't have that great of a selection.

Keep us updated!

-Nate

Wow, that looks awesome.

LOL - gotta love that warning sign too - remember, no lil kids in the chamber, k? heh :)

ha! BTW: This was my avatar for a long time:

Altered it just a tad in Photoshop

Thanks NepAK, I've book marked it. We'll see how this goes before I go too nuts, I like the tub cos it can be stowed away easily enough since space in my house is always at a premium but if I can scare up the space (the main prob with me taking on more projects) a dedicated Flow hood would be excellent indeed!

BTW I'm sorry my pics aren't working right now, something is wrong with the servers at Hostultra, one of the few times they've ever had a problem in all the years of hosting my sites with them. They say another day or so.

what happened to the pics in this thread ???

Ditto, I can't see the pictures.

I'm sorry my pics aren't working right now, something is wrong with the servers at Hostultra.com, one of the few times they've ever had a problem in all the years of hosting my sites with them. The harddrives had become corrupted so when they go back online I will have to reload my websites (the pics will come back up) as an apology my bandwidth and storage space will be doubled when they go back online. Hopefully a few more days. I will stick with them cos it's only one problem in many years and why turn down an offer for extra bandwidth and storage for free as opposed to finding and registering all my sites at some new place and having to learn learning their admin interface.

I know what you mean I cant access my growlist cause the cpuk is down :down:
I dont wanna create a new one.

I wonder if they are using Hostultra, I saw that post about them going down and it was the same day my servers went off-I was notified ahead of time that a problem was found and the servers had to be shut down and inspected. It was supposed to take only 24 hours but now since they could not recover the data as the hard drives were irreversably corrupted (or something like that). I'm sorry to say they told me they won't be able to recover the data that was lost so you will have to retype your list if you didn't save it. That is, if they are using the same hosting company as I was. There's no email to or from the accounts either until they get back online and recreate all the accounts - it may be a week they didn't specify but were profusely apologetic and offered all the extra stuff so I figure I'll just wait it out.

Latest email just came in a few minutes ago while i was posting the messages above:

"Update to server downtime.

We have just received our new server which has been formatted and operating system installed.
All that needs to be done now is to install cpanel on the server.
We are estimating this will take 3-4 hours before you can login and use your account."

Not too bad, but you'll have to see what has become of CPUK if they are back online-I wonder if all the old posts will be gone too or if the stuff is stored offline as well?

It is possible however that whoever they buy their space from is simply a satelite for Hostultra. For example I would be allowed (by Hostultra) to create a company called "XYZ Hosting" (or something) sell you a domain name and server space and setup an admin page for your account under my account at Hostultra. So even if "Hostultra" is not on their whois they may be affiliated somehow since our sites went down and were able to be re-loaded at same time. It's not important, it's just a possibility.

Back