What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum Suggestion

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Just throwing it out there, but I'd personally like to see a tissue culture section added to the forum.

There seems to be some interest in it, from projects, to questions... but they eventually get lost in the 'general discussion' swamp or elsewhere. Just recently, swords just made his box, and I'm working on a tutorial for media. It'd be nice to put these things in a spot of their own.

-Nate

Perhaps even better than a tissue culture section would be a subtopic forum on Carnivorous Plant Propagation and Techniques. Tissue culture is definitely in that. Plus the forum would cover a broad spectrum rather than just a narrow view as TC. I've brought this to andy, and will let him now the interest in this.

I don't know....
TC techniques vary with the genera, as do propagation techniques. When you're talking neps, propagation can change with different species. Personally, if I had something to say about TC or propagation of neps at all, I'll continue to put it where I already do - in the nep section where it belongs.

im thinking about making a flow hood so I can do tissue culture easier.

= awesome

I don't know....
TC techniques vary with the genera, as do propagation techniques. When you're talking neps, propagation can change with different species. Personally, if I had something to say about TC or propagation of neps at all, I'll continue to put it where I already do - in the nep section where it belongs.

I agree with Phission. I think we already see that with the Identify that Plant! forum. I think by default we want to post things like propagation and identify threads in the respective plant forums since the members who "specialize" in one plant or another may only check that forum and not necessarily to the Identify that Plant! forum. Maybe if there were sub-forums or something like that.

Nepenthes
-Identify that Nepenthes!
-Propagation of Nepenthes

Just an alternative idea to kick around while we're at it.

xvart.

Nepenthes
-Identify that Nepenthes!
-Propagation of Nepenthes

I like it like that. You could throw a TC nep section in there too if people want it.

Personally, the only 2 things I really ever look at here are general discussions and nep forum.

The tc propogation of generea are so broad,
You need to get a sup catagory in smaller print under nepenthes,pings or whatever. Now there are a few members like a few who do nepenthes from seed that would be perfect for the mods like milso sumos(I hope I spelled your name correctly) I need to do some tc since I am somewhat knowledgable about tc .. sorta

I don't know....
TC techniques vary with the genera...

The difficult part comes down to technique, equipment, methods etc. Which comes back to where do you put it? Currently the best place would be in the green house / terrarium section. Which wouldn't be the first place I'd search for home made flow hoods or clean boxes since you don't grow anything in them.

While there are different methods for TC'ing a Sundews or a Nepenthes; there number of those doing it are not overwhelming to break up the results. Currently what I'm working with, seeds... how you clean the seed of a Sundew can be the same way you clean the seed for a Nepenthes. So, grouping of information together could be relevant and helpful.

-Nate

Nep seeds tend to be more sensitive to bleach than others. Personally I wouldn't use bleach to sterilize nep seeds. Neps are also ridiculously susceptible to damage caused by base analogs. Mericulture of Nepenthes is an entirely different subject as well (yes it is possible!). I know of no other CP genera which presents the same difficulties as mericulture of Nepenthes, as AFAIK, other genera aren't infested wth fungus in their meristematic tissue.

Nep seeds tend to be more sensitive to bleach than others. Personally I wouldn't use bleach to sterilize nep seeds. Neps are also ridiculously susceptible to damage caused by base analogs. Mericulture of Nepenthes is an entirely different subject as well (yes it is possible!). I know of no other CP genera which presents the same difficulties as mericulture of Nepenthes, as AFAIK, other genera aren't infested wth fungus in their meristematic tissue.

Good point and thats in line for how I've read if you were to do the bleach method, however there are other methods as well. I'm using PPM soaks for my seeds which is a commercial product but just another method to use which can be applied in a similar manner to other seeds. But that's a side discussion which we can bring up another time. 8) (in a new sub board?? hehe)

-Nate

Personally, the only 2 things I really ever look at here are general discussions and nep forum.

Yep. That's what I was getting at. You can tell that certain people only visit (or at least only post) in certain areas. This way it also consolidates the information.

xvart.

I have a free sample of 40 mililiters of PPM I need to get the pressure cooker and forcheps. I think I sorta need to use them but they have been in the fridge do you thik they are okay ?? There is also 20 mills of BAP,AGAR and MS media just waiting.

I have a free sample of 40 mililiters of PPM I need to get the pressure cooker and forcheps. I think I sorta need to use them but they have been in the fridge do you thik they are okay ?? There is also 20 mills of BAP,AGAR and MS media just waiting.

jm - please start a new topic. This one is about forum suggestions.

xvart.

Okay well I'd like the forum subcatogories,
sorry I sorta went off :crazy: :poke:

Back