What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shrimp are running..

• Thread starter JRFxtreme
  • Start date
..in Miami, Florida.

shrimp01.jpg

Got them off the Rickenbacker bridge last night using cast nets. They ran suddenly right before the moon rose directly overhead(at about midnight) and the water was thick with them for about 30 minutes.

Fellow Floridians: better get them while they're running!

shrimp02.jpg

Kitty wasn't impressed though, the shrimp offended her..

I'd be offended too, that shrimp looks pretty snobby.

HOLYYYYYY talk about having a feast there. You make yourself a cocktail mix and get some plastic trays you could supply your local food store with shrimp cocktails for months lol.

lol just noticed they were in a planting pot. These don't grow that way JR :)

AHHHH gimmeeeee. Shrimp is legit, especially when its free.

WOW, even the toaster is full of them.

...That looks fantastic lol.

You bring the cocktail sauce, I'll bring the benadryl. Makes my mouth itch just looking at them!

I'm jealous. Not of you living in florida when its freezing cold in Ohio, but by the mounds of free shrimp!

Hmm few questions I been noticing about this. Why you have some in cups? Did you like kill them all or do they die over a bit of time cause no salt water? I never caught shrimp. I did have some in a freshwater tank before but never did eat them.

The shrimp in the cups are actually just the heads. You have to pinch the heads off before storing them in the freezer or peeling and cooking them. Its the same as lobster, just a lot more heads to deal with.

By the way, the official shrimp count was 563! We also caught 3 big blue crabs, which were excellent with a little garlic butter. :grin:

They're probably going to run again tonight, but we're too tired to check it out(its said that they run the hardest 3 days before and 3 days after a full moon, I think yesterday was officially the full moon).

You counted them?!?

Do they carry eggs? When I lived in Maine in the 80s, we used to buy shrimp this time of year (maybe a little later) for ~$1.50/lb, but they'd be carrying blue-ish eggs with their legs. Then we started worrying about the possible effect on shrimp reproduction and quit buying them.

Drools love shrimp lived in hawaii got addicted there into sushi and sea foods.

Eh, I'm allergic to shrimp. Used to love them. I dunno how I'm allergic, but, everytime I eat them my throat gets really scratchy and feels cut up and tight like it's swollen.

:0o: Nice catch! I love to catch my own bait with the cast net, but I don't eat them. Next time I go fishing in the marshes near my house I will have to catch some for gumbo.

I always found it fun to walk around my dads bulkhead with a flash light, and catch them with a dip net.:-D

Gross - diseased bugs of the sea! :puke:

I like crab and lobster but I guess once you get sick on shrimp it sort of looses it's appeal. :-D

I don't understand how people say the only allergy they have is shrimp (have a couple friends like this). The say the same....scratchy throat. Maybe you guys are eating the shells? lol. Either way, shrimp are delicious, so man up, and chow down.

Me thinks that Ozzy like toasted shrimp........ :-))

I don't understand how people say the only allergy they have is shrimp (have a couple friends like this). The say the same....scratchy throat. Maybe you guys are eating the shells? lol. Either way, shrimp are delicious, so man up, and chow down.

They aren't the only allergy I have lmao. Also allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, blood worms (yes!) and mold (which means I am SCREWED no matter what season it is!) They make my mouth and lips pretty itchy (and so does lobster even more so, but oddly enough crayfish and crab do not!) but it's not a big deal, just an annoyance, so I take Benadryl first, pig out, then go to sleep lol.

Blood worms on the other hand almost killed me when I inhaled a little dust when I was crushing them for my plants. Since then I keep an EpiPen in the house.

The shrimp in the cups are actually just the heads. You have to pinch the heads off before storing them in the freezer or peeling and cooking them. Its the same as lobster, just a lot more heads to deal with.

That is so gross....

You must have two million dollars in shrimp there. That would cost a freakin' fortune to buy.

Back