What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any suggestions for a nice camera?

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
I've decided that I want to start looking for a new nice camera. I'm looking for one that has a time lapse function, and one that is at least 4 megapixels, and has a pretty good macro. Anyone know of any such cameras? I'm not too concerned about price (since I'm thinking of asking for one for my b-day ;) ), but nothing more than 300. Preferably less.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix 4800, which is a very good camera. It has a macro of 1cm, but it makes an annoying ticking sound which a guy at the camera store says it's prolly from a "short". It also does not have a time lapse function, and making a time lapse manually is not really all that fun.

Anyways, if there isn't a camera with those specs, then suggest one you think is good.

Thanks,
-Ben

Nikon Coolpix L5. Refurbished w/ shipping = $103

Do NOT buy a Nikon 8800. I'm not even sure about the Nikon brand any more.

I like mine a lot. Vibration reduction, face recognition, 7.2MP, 5x optical zoom.....

Get a Canon, very high quality, great support (I just had to deal with them. Their call center is in Virginia, so you can understand what they're saying, and they are repairing my 3 year old camera for free!) I've been very pleased with mine.

The old Nikon coolpix were awesome, Tony has one that actually swivels or pivots, its really good too.

I like Olympus. I have the Olympus C770UZ Macro and SuperMacro capabilities. Also bought the diopter lens and barrel adapter. Can basically make anything supersized and crystal clear. Very good camera, Olympus gave it to me for the price of the old C550 model because mine had a defect when it came out of the box. I'm not sure what it retails now, but when I bought it, it was around $500, that was about 5 years ago too.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've looked at all your ideas, and also at some others. I looked at cameras that would be compatible with a time-lapse device called the "DigiSnap", and from the Coolpix line, the 5000 and 5400 look pretty good. Although, I'm still not sure because I really don't know much about cameras. But I could have misread on the page about cables for the DigiSnap , and I'm not sure if only the specified cameras work with it. Or I could just get a camera with a time lapse function in it already...

The C-770 Ultra Zoom looks pretty sweet nepenthes gracilis, but I have to do more research on it. I figure I can also go to the camera store, and ask the people there what would be best for me.

-Ben

The CoolPix 5400 has a timelapse mode built-in.

Oh yeah, I guess it does. I didn't see that before. This camera looks pretty good to me: .4 inch macro, 5 MP, and timelapse, pretty much what I wanted. Plus, it uses the same rechargeable battery as my current camera. But I'll still do more looking. Thanks.

-Ben

I guess I've decided to go with the Nikon Coolpix p5100 instead. It is newer than the 5400, and I couldn't find the 5400 in any stores. The p5100 is pretty small, but it has 12 megapixels, a good macro mode, and uses the same memory cards as my current camera. But, the battery is different. What do you guys think? There are still more options of course. But this looks pretty good.

-Ben

Back