What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Easier (v.2)

upper

Capensis Killer
what's easier to grow outdoor in USA, name your place and state
VFT
Sarracenia
Drosera
Nepenthes

by easy i mean growing strong healthy plant. no indoor terrarium and those big fishtank setup and humidity controlled heater and making it lowland or highland thing. just semi-natural outdoor growth, maybe pot and dome and watering trey, but NO FISHTANK

here's for me

VFT=killed a typical
Sarracenia=its still dormant, shh......
Drosera=killed a capensis, trying to raise more from seed.
Nepenthes=i cant put it outdoor nor indoor, so i decided not to get any.
i'm in Los Angeles,CA.

Sarracenia - Buffalo, NY!!!

NOTHING = Lubbock, TX.
Lowland neps in Houston, TX....except for winter

Sarracenias in CT, but I haven't grown Droseras. I'm sure growing our native species is as easy as falling off a log, but D. capensis wouldn't like winter.

Hawaii!

Everything, yay!

so far...sarracenia.

Luisville, Kentucky

EDIT: you live in LA? get an easy nep and put it outside...your set.

vft sarracenia temeperate drosera
salem oregon zone 8

Hmm...

Nepenthes, sarracenia, drosera, ceph's, common utrics, temperate and mexican pings, byblis (in summer), darlingtonia (with help in the summer)...

Im in LA/LB too...

LB?

My VFT's and Sarracenia's both grow like weeds outside here in Houston. My neps are highland, so no outside here for them.

Rochester, NY

VFTs and Sarracenia do great outdoors March-October.
need to store them in a cool basement stairwell for the winter.

I have one Nepenthes growing in a window indoors..I never put it outside, even in the summer, because I dont want its environment to fluctuate wildly.
it stays in its window 24/7/365.

Drosera Capensis grows outdoors in the summer, indoors on a windowsill in the winter. (no dormancy needed)

and D. binata grows in the same conditions as the VFTs and Sarrs..including winter dormancy.

Scot

High Desert, Southern California

Temperate Drosera- Outdoors. No problems at all. They like LOTS of water.
VFTS- Outdoors. They like the sun, don’t like to color up, and have pest problems during the growing season. nothing major.
Sarrs- Outdoors. No proplems yet…
Neps- Indoors. Several have died while growing indoors on windowsills. I don’t think they like the low humidity…
Temperate to Semi-Temperate Pings- Outdoors and Indoors. Don’t even get me started on these. Most died within days after I received them! Horrible luck.

Back