User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is it?

  1. #9
    --Freedom Czar-- Fryster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    z5/6, Lansing, MI
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    How about "expanding" the peat pellets, with water,
    sticking them in the microwave, nuking them for a minute or two..boiling the water and effectively sterlizing the pots, then planting?

    would probably be smelly!
    (drag the microwave out into the garage!

    but I bet it would work.
    Yes, it is smelly. And no, it doesn't work.

    I microwaved peat-pellets and I still experienced molds, fungus etc.

    But that got me to thinking; are there not some peat-pellets that are relatively free of spores? Seems like there would be a manufacturer out there with a good product.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. #10
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Yes, it is smelly. And no, it doesn't work.

    I microwaved peat-pellets and I still experienced molds, fungus etc.

    But that got me to thinking; are there not some peat-pellets that are relatively free of spores? Seems like there would be a manufacturer out there with a good product.

    hmmm..that should work!
    how long did you microwave?
    was the water really steaming?
    if you bring the water inside the pots to boiling point, that will kill everything in them..

    of course NEW mold spores can still land on the pots and grow after they have been sterilized! there is no way around that..
    and that still happens with peat pots that were sterilized before you buy them.

    but killing everything in the pots before use should eliminate 90% of the problem.

    putting pots in the brightest sunlight possible will also help control mold..
    mold likes it dark.

    Scot

  3. #11
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Yes, it is smelly. And no, it doesn't work.

    I microwaved peat-pellets and I still experienced molds, fungus etc.

    But that got me to thinking; are there not some peat-pellets that are relatively free of spores? Seems like there would be a manufacturer out there with a good product.
    oh..another thought.
    did you microwave them when they were still dry?
    that probably wouldnt do much..
    you need the water in the peat to steam and boil..
    you should microwave them after they are "expanded" with water.

    Scot

  4. #12
    allegedhuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t really know much about fungal spores but I do know a little but about bacterial spores so if fungal spores have a comparable level of protection as bacterial spores I also have doubts that simply microwaving would kill the spores.

    Heating the water to boiling at approx. 100 Deg C may kill the live and active ones but the point of a bacterial spore is to protect the “oogie” during less than optimal conditions (such as getting processes into a dried wad of a peat w/o moisture). I know the way they test autoclaves is by running a cycle with the spores of a particular bacteria in the machine, if the spores are killed your autoclave is functioning properly. If the autoclave is not working and doesn’t hit high enough temperatures AND pressure then the spores will still live because those spores are only killed by the highest temps.

    Like I said, I don’t know if fungus spores are as tenacious as some bacterial spores, but seeing as smuggling a tray of peat pots under your shirt into a lab or somewhere with an autoclave and “borrowing” the machine for a while may not be the best idea I would agree with trying to find a different brand that doesn’t come with all the “Bonus! Now with MORE Fungal Spores!” or something because I would be really annoyed if my seeds kept getting attacked before they even had a chance for me to kill them myself. THAT IS MY JOB and I don’t need no fungus beating me to the punch…

    Fungus?...I don’t need no stinkin’ fungus…..
    ~Evin

  5. #13
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get a pressure cooker. People use them for cooking all the time.

    Of course you could always buy peat and use pots like the rest of us

  6. #14
    Cardiac Nurse JB_OrchidGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    3,818
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing is spores are resistant to heat, and not sure how hot the microwave gets, but needs to be at least 270 degrees. That is what we use to sterilizes spores in the OR. Of course we use pressure to get to that tempo too. Not an easy thing to kill spores.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

  7. #15
    --Freedom Czar-- Fryster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    z5/6, Lansing, MI
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I microwaved the pellets wet.

    They got quite toasty too. (very warm)

    So, I'm going to try the little 1" square peat-pots and fill them with my own mix in order to get some good germination.

    Still gonna use the microwave and anti-fungal spray to fight damp-off...
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

  8. #16
    nepenthes_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spring Feild Ohio
    Posts
    3,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a pressure cooker, or steam cook it! for an hour LOTS of steam.


    The second you take it out though your gonna have contam issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •