Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it?

I am starting some plants for my garden in the peat pellet trays, and this strange mold or something started growing. I thought it dog hair at first, but it grew back when I pulled it off. I sprayed it with a sulfur based fungicide, but it didn't work. What should I do?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside of chemicals - more heat, light, and maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ceased all use of those peat pellets.

They look convenient but I discovered that they're 'chocked full of mold and fungus spores.

I even tried microwaving the pellets after adding water to them. Still had fungus problems.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used these before, and I didn't have any problems. I think it is just the brand I bought, but I don't want to give to give up on these plants. I lifted the lid since some of the seeds sprouted, so do you think that will help get rid of it?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camomile tea is supposed to have anti-fungal properties. Many people spray their seedlings with a weak solution to prevent damping off.

You can try a dilute solutions of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. If the alcohol is 70% try at least a 1/1 dilution. With the H202 start at a 4/1 water to H202 dilution. Brush the alcohol solution on with a small brush but don't soak the plants or peat. You can spray the H202 solution or brush it on.

This will most likely not kill the fungus/mold, just control it.

I would isolate the fuzzy pellets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call it "a mess" . I'm new to CPs so if I saw that I'd just toss it in fear of infecting all my plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have something really valuble planted in the fuzzy ones I say chuck em lest they infect your un-innoculated pellets.
    I don't like peat pellets either but a really bad one is Cactus soil by Scotts, I started some seeds in it last spring and I ended up dumping nearly the whole tray of seedling pots (some 34 pots or so) had everything growing out of it, mushrooms and other assorted fungus & molds, weeds, etc. I guess I was always under the impresion that soils were either sterilized or pasturized before bagging but maybe some are and some aren't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Unless you have something really valuble planted in the fuzzy ones I say chuck em lest they infect your un-innoculated pellets.
    I don't like peat pellets either but a really bad one is Cactus soil by Scotts, I started some seeds in it last spring and I ended up dumping nearly the whole tray of seedling pots (some 34 pots or so) had everything growing out of it, mushrooms and other assorted fungus & molds, weeds, etc. I guess I was always under the impresion that soils were either sterilized or pasturized before bagging but maybe some are and some aren't...
    How about "expanding" the peat pellets, with water,
    sticking them in the microwave, nuking them for a minute or two..boiling the water and effectively sterlizing the pots, then planting?

would probably be smelly!
    (drag the microwave out into the garage!

but I bet it would work..

Scot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast