What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

I am starting some plants for my garden in the peat pellet trays, and this strange mold or something started growing. I thought it dog hair at first, but it grew back when I pulled it off. I sprayed it with a sulfur based fungicide, but it didn't work. What should I do?

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Outside of chemicals - more heat, light, and maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon.

I ceased all use of those peat pellets.

They look convenient but I discovered that they're 'chocked full of mold and fungus spores.

I even tried microwaving the pellets after adding water to them. Still had fungus problems.

I have used these before, and I didn't have any problems. I think it is just the brand I bought, but I don't want to give to give up on these plants. I lifted the lid since some of the seeds sprouted, so do you think that will help get rid of it?

Camomile tea is supposed to have anti-fungal properties. Many people spray their seedlings with a weak solution to prevent damping off.

You can try a dilute solutions of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. If the alcohol is 70% try at least a 1/1 dilution. With the H202 start at a 4/1 water to H202 dilution. Brush the alcohol solution on with a small brush but don't soak the plants or peat. You can spray the H202 solution or brush it on.

This will most likely not kill the fungus/mold, just control it.

I would isolate the fuzzy pellets.

:( I call it "a mess" . I'm new to CPs so if I saw that I'd just toss it in fear of infecting all my plants.

Unless you have something really valuble planted in the fuzzy ones I say chuck em lest they infect your un-innoculated pellets.
I don't like peat pellets either but a really bad one is Cactus soil by Scotts, I started some seeds in it last spring and I ended up dumping nearly the whole tray of seedling pots (some 34 pots or so) had everything growing out of it, mushrooms and other assorted fungus & molds, weeds, etc. I guess I was always under the impresion that soils were either sterilized or pasturized before bagging but maybe some are and some aren't...

Unless you have something really valuble planted in the fuzzy ones I say chuck em lest they infect your un-innoculated pellets.
I don't like peat pellets either but a really bad one is Cactus soil by Scotts, I started some seeds in it last spring and I ended up dumping nearly the whole tray of seedling pots (some 34 pots or so) had everything growing out of it, mushrooms and other assorted fungus & molds, weeds, etc. I guess I was always under the impresion that soils were either sterilized or pasturized before bagging but maybe some are and some aren't...

How about "expanding" the peat pellets, with water,
sticking them in the microwave, nuking them for a minute or two..boiling the water and effectively sterlizing the pots, then planting?

would probably be smelly!
(drag the microwave out into the garage! ;)

but I bet it would work..

Scot

How about "expanding" the peat pellets, with water,
sticking them in the microwave, nuking them for a minute or two..boiling the water and effectively sterlizing the pots, then planting?

would probably be smelly!
(drag the microwave out into the garage! ;)

but I bet it would work.

Yes, it is smelly. And no, it doesn't work. :(

I microwaved peat-pellets and I still experienced molds, fungus etc.

But that got me to thinking; are there not some peat-pellets that are relatively free of spores? Seems like there would be a manufacturer out there with a good product.

But that got me to thinking; are there not some peat-pellets that are relatively free of spores? Seems like there would be a manufacturer out there with a good product.

hmmm..that should work!
how long did you microwave?
was the water really steaming?
if you bring the water inside the pots to boiling point, that will kill everything in them..

of course NEW mold spores can still land on the pots and grow after they have been sterilized! there is no way around that..
and that still happens with peat pots that were sterilized before you buy them.

but killing everything in the pots before use should eliminate 90% of the problem.

putting pots in the brightest sunlight possible will also help control mold..
mold likes it dark.

Scot

oh..another thought.
did you microwave them when they were still dry?
that probably wouldnt do much..
you need the water in the peat to steam and boil..
you should microwave them after they are "expanded" with water.

Scot

I don’t really know much about fungal spores but I do know a little but about bacterial spores so if fungal spores have a comparable level of protection as bacterial spores I also have doubts that simply microwaving would kill the spores.

Heating the water to boiling at approx. 100 Deg C may kill the live and active ones but the point of a bacterial spore is to protect the “oogie” during less than optimal conditions (such as getting processes into a dried wad of a peat w/o moisture). I know the way they test autoclaves is by running a cycle with the spores of a particular bacteria in the machine, if the spores are killed your autoclave is functioning properly. If the autoclave is not working and doesn’t hit high enough temperatures AND pressure then the spores will still live because those spores are only killed by the highest temps.

Like I said, I don’t know if fungus spores are as tenacious as some bacterial spores, but seeing as smuggling a tray of peat pots under your shirt into a lab or somewhere with an autoclave and “borrowing” the machine for a while may not be the best idea I would agree with trying to find a different brand that doesn’t come with all the “Bonus! Now with MORE Fungal Spores!” or something because I would be really annoyed if my seeds kept getting attacked before they even had a chance for me to kill them myself. THAT IS MY JOB and I don’t need no fungus beating me to the punch…

Fungus?...I don’t need no stinkin’ fungus…..:censor:
~Evin

Just get a pressure cooker. People use them for cooking all the time.

Of course you could always buy peat and use pots like the rest of us :)

The only thing is spores are resistant to heat, and not sure how hot the microwave gets, but needs to be at least 270 degrees. That is what we use to sterilizes spores in the OR. Of course we use pressure to get to that tempo too. Not an easy thing to kill spores.

Yeah, I microwaved the pellets wet.

They got quite toasty too. (very warm)

So, I'm going to try the little 1½" square peat-pots and fill them with my own mix in order to get some good germination.

Still gonna use the microwave and anti-fungal spray to fight damp-off...

Use a pressure cooker, or steam cook it! for an hour LOTS of steam.

The second you take it out though your gonna have contam issues.

Back