Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finally got into a medical school

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'll be saving lives and helping people...thats one of the reasons I wanted to be a doctor in the first place. I still am driven by that, and its the reason why I'll go and do it anyway, I'm just worried about residency. You can be a DO and be a hand surgeon and help a ton of people. Can you imagine if you couldn't use a hand or two? Even fixing carpal tunnel is a ton of help to anyone who has it. Hand surgery is cool, and I might do that, but like I said, I was really looking into derm and neuro-spine. I had horrible acne from about 13-18, and though its much improved, I still have it to an extent. Its not life threatening or anything, but its damn embarrassing and a horrible thing to have, which is why I've been so attracted to derm. I'd like to help people that have had to suffer through the same as I have. I know its not brain surgery, but at a time when your peers are overly critical and you're impressionable, not getting made fun of on a daily basis helps. I went through it and it sucked, but I guess I'm a stronger person for it. Doesn't bother me anymore though.

so much for "knowledge and understanding of the healthcare system is astronomically deep"
    Why's that? Because I didn't get into my alma mater or what? I am still waiting on about 8 other schools, but just because I understand the ins and outs of the health care system does not guarantee admission. I did get into at least one place. Just having the mental capacity to be accepted automatically puts you in the top 3% of the brainpower in the nation. I'm only discouraged because I would've liked to have stayed here, not moved, etc. To be honest, the biggest reason I didn't get in is because I turned my application in about 2 weeks before the deadline. Much less intelligent and worse candidates than I had (i.e. 22-26 MCAT) already interviewed by the time my application was processed. I would've applied earlier but I wanted to finish that semester, since I was still taking some classes that were covered on the MCAT. I did get a 30 after all, which is 3 points higher than the national average (my essay was about 5 points higher than national average, but no one really cares about that)
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Adam, that was a low blow and thoroughly uncalled for. We frown upon that sort of thing here.

¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Looks like we will be seeing less of you around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Congrats on your MCAT score and on your acceptance. I wouldn’t sweat it too much; go where the wind takes you for a bit and then set your course.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The future of healthcare will be more osteopathic and less allopathic, so you're going the right direction whether you think so right now or not. Congratulations.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

I like allopathic medicine. My dad is a DO after all .

However, I just wish MDs would stop being prejudice against DOs for pretty much absolutely no reason. Then I would actually be happy right now haha
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    However, I just wish MDs would stop being prejudice against DOs for pretty much absolutely no reason.
    Bah! Who wants to hang out with stuffy ole' MD's at conferences anyhow?! Congrats, Phission. I'm sure that, if you decide to go there, once you get into the class work and research you'll feel at home and be more satisfied than you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Adam, that was a low blow and thoroughly uncalled for. We frown upon that sort of thing here.
    Not to mention irrelevant.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's less difference between an MD and a DO now and MDs have done the most of the adjusting - learning that health requires more than just a physician's intervention every now and then to cure something.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast