What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Know Where I Can Find a Black Octogon Flower Pot Like This?

It looks like a beta tank that's been painted black to me... ??? I have 4 of them is why it rang a bell. here is what I'm talking about:

http://www.lotsofpets.com/lees-bettahexkit.html

Andrew

Thanks for the lead! I might have to try that! It does look very glossy and cool. Does anybody have any idea if the soil will leach any harmful chemicals out of the paint if the inside is painted? I suppose I could just mask off the top though and only paint the outside and lose the glossy look. If it has a plastic bottom, the bottom could be drilled out for drainage.

I just transplanted all of my VFTs into one large pot so I don't want to stress them out too much anytime soon so it'll be a while before I attempt it. Perhaps I will try painting one and transplanting into one sometime during the summer. They're already reddening up quite nice under my bright CFL with supplemental sunlight though!

Edit: actually looking at his plants it appears on second examination that they are actually in that black pot inside the octagonal container (I thought the potted plant was a second plant). Interesting idea! I guess it could act like a water tray.

It actually looks like a pencil holder to me, I always see them in the stores around the beginning of school. They are usually pretty cheap and made of plastic so you should be able to just use them as they are if you want, though drainage might be an issue.

Not if you have a drill!

Exactly! I assume even if it's made of glass that it'd have a plastic bottom that could be drilled out. You'd just need to set it on pebbles in the water tray to let water come up into it if you can't drill from the sides. I'm definitely going to do this sometime in the near future. I just need to see if I can find a tank that's wide enough yet short enough. If anybody else has any ideas I'm open to suggestions. I'm just worried about spray paint. I suppose there has to be some sort of paint or clearcoat/sealant that wouldn't be harmful to the soil/plants.

looks like a pencil/pen holder to me also.
start looking in that section of the deparment stores you go in.

looks like a pencil/pen holder to me also.
start looking in that section of the deparment stores you go in.

Well the thing is I'd want a larger one. I don't think they make pencil holders that large. I assumed when I made the post that it was a flower pot and that there would be different sizes, just that I needed to know where to find it. I didn't realize it would be some found item used as a makeshift flowerpot holder. I think the suggestion of the aquarium will work the best for a large pot though. Maybe line the inside of it with paint that will stick to glass then line that with latex paint or clearcoat or something that won't harm the soil. I'm not sure if the peat moss will leach stuff from the paint or not but somebody probably knows.

Actually - I took that photo :) I'll can ask and find out for ya.

ALSO: How large of a vft pot do you need? I just planted some 20+ vts this weekend into a large square pot I got form a local hydroponics store....

Hmm that is a nice pot if you want the decorative kind.Right now I just use tupperware :)

Actually - I took that photo :) I'll can ask and find out for ya.

ALSO: How large of a vft pot do you need? I just planted some 20+ vts this weekend into a large square pot I got form a local hydroponics store....

If you could ask Geoff, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

As for the pot you have, I thank you for the offer, but I've already got my VFTs in a nice glazed tapered 1.5 gallon or so pot. I just wanted a slick looking pot to maybe transplant into this summer or after dormancy next winter. The glossy octagon shape just caught my eye and I thought it looked pretty cool! I just need a larger one since I have several VFTs I'd sorta like to keep in one larger pot (easier to water and put them outside that way).

Back