What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thunder Snow

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
According to accuweather last night our area was under a "Thunder Snow" advisory. What the @#$2 is a thunder snow advisory???

Shoveled 3" of snow last night at 1am, the bank next door threw all their snow on my property this morning; now it's raining, thundering, lightning and freezing! There's gonna be another 6" of snow or more coming tomorrow!

I've had it! For the folks that live in CA, is there any more room out there? I gotta move or something.

I don't know what we did here in Illinois, but the wrath of the heavens is coming down upon us.

::sigh:: I need a nap, sorry for the rant...
But I still don't know what thunder snow is...
-Nate

"thunder snow" means a thunder storm with snow instead of rain.
its rare, but it happens.

normally you need summer heat to create a proper thunderstorm, with lightning and thunder..but if conditions are right, a winter thunderstorm can form with enough energy to produce lightning, then have the precipitation fall as snow not rain.
it probably formed in warmer air, then moved into cooler air.

Nate,
your recent weather sounds like a pretty typical upper midwest February week..
nothing unusual at all..
are you not originally from the area perhaps?
between Maine and Montana, weather like you describe generates a yawn and a "so what"?
;)

Scot

I've been here all my life...

I think the mixture of everything in 48 hours is the shocker for us here... We deal with extreme elements one at a time lol. It's either the 6" of snow, or the flooding rain, or the ice storms, or the 70mph winds... just not all at the same time. 8(

Im a life-long New York Stater myself..
even though 2 feet of snow is "no big deal", I still begin to hate winter by January and February..and March is the WORST because you can sense Spring on the way, but winter just refuses to let go!
March is a miserable month..half-spring and half-winter.
(usually much more winter than spring)
We dont get a real taste of spring until April most years.

So I undersand! :)
but this time of year, the storms pass through quickly, and the snow tends to not stick around for long..
we are supposed to hit 50 tomorrow! but them back to the deep-freeze.

But my CPs will come out of dormancy in about 2 weeks! :)
so thats a nice "taste of spring"...even though they cant go outside for a month or more after that..

Scot

Yup I'm defiantly suffering from cabin fever already. (did 2 plant orders last week, need to see green)

I agree with you, this is the part where I start wanting to 'be outside' but winter doesn't want me out there yet. Then comes the 'mud' season, where everything just looks terrible, only the dirty snow is still around, and you can't walk in the grass without sinking in it like quicksand. I'm getting the impression that today might be the start of our mud season, or at least the preview.

And of course, I was just thinking of getting new shoes...

I hear Thunder Snow is often accompanied by Chocolate Rain.

Chocolate Rain....some stay dry and others feel the pain

never heard of chocolate rain...
Purple rain was popular when I was in highschool.

Scot

LOL... Chocolate Rain. :-))

A few days ago, when coming home from work (midnight), it was snowing and I could see off in the distance (Cheektowaga area) lightning (3X). It happens like once a winter. Never hear thunder, but I'm sure it was around.

I want a foot of snow never seen that much we had 2 inchesn at the house though.

We've hardly had any winter yet, but February is generally our snowiest month. As for thunder snow, I think we probably get that once or twice in a winter, but I've never heard of a warning for it. It sounds different - I guess the snow muffles the high frequencies, so it ends up as more of a boom and less of a bang.

Back