What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The awesomest car I'll ever own

I just remembered that someone asked me over a month ago to post pics of my old Nova. I can't remember who it was, so here ya go:

1968 Chevy Nova SS (clone):
USPics051.jpg

USPics052.jpg

1969 LT1 (from a Corvette)
USPics053.jpg

USPics054.jpg

That was before I got the $2,000 suspension lol. I can't find a pic with that in unfortunately.

so...uhh...whats the story behind the "You no longer own the awsomest car you'll ever see"?

PK: Do you still have it? Nice!

Here's some pics of my Baby... 1984 Porsche 944
I bought it about a year and a half ago. Original paint. You'll be hard pressed to find one in such nice condition anymore. 70,000 miles

The story is.....my parents sold it when I was in Germany WITHOUT TELLING ME, and then used the money (MY money since I bought the car with money I got from working) to pay for part of my school since it was a private school....then they still made me pay a 3rd. So basically, it was stolen? lol. Oh well my dad bought me a nice car when I came back to the states.

DJ, I almost got one of those actually. My family mechanic told me his brother had one and it had lots of problems, so he recommended against me getting one. The Nova was great though, but I could never have one again. 8mpg really does a number on your wallet :p

Besides some minor maintenance issues, I haven't had any big problems. ::knock on wood::
The Germans build the best cars. The guys who owned it before me were CRAZY about maintenance issues, so anything that could cause a problem has pretty much already been replaced.

Davey, my father has a white 1984 944 Turbo lol.

Yeah, I'd kill for a Turbo. But I figure 21 years old with a Porsche, I'll take what I can get. :-D'
My real goal is a late 80s early 90s 911 Targa. So spiffy.

Very nice car PK.
thumbs_up.gif

Ahhhhh... An old machine from a better vanished time before The Motor Law. ;)

They used to make automobiles out of a thing called "METAL" as I recall from my youth...

Glad that you had such a nice piece of authentic Detroit iron. Cherish the memories. :)

Exactly...air bags are for babies lol.

Actually one lady rear-ended me one day going 30-40. My car had a small dent in the rear fender and bumper. Her Toyota SUV ended up about 6" shorter and her fender and bumper fell off. I win.

All you needed was a sweet personalized license plate like "BIG RED," lol.

So basically, it was stolen? lol.

Those dang parents always thinking they know what's best for you...

8mpg really does a number on your wallet :p

Except for gas was $0.69/gallon like when I started driving... I'm sure some other members can even beat that!

Ahhhhh... An old machine from a better vanished time before The Motor Law. ;)

They used to make automobiles out of a thing called "METAL" as I recall from my youth...

lol. That reminds me of my dad and his brother. They tell the story of their old Chevy Corvair. They claimed that only warning they got with that car was that "it was dangerous at any speed," lol.

xvart.

Last edited:
My best car was a 71 Alfa Romeo GTV. It wouldn't have won a demolition derby against Detroit iron, but it had Alfa's classic aluminum DOHC engine and 5-spd transmission. Cost me $2,500 in 1984.

As for the crumpling characterisitcs of modern cars, lots of dead people used to be pulled out of rigid, fairly undamaged cars after accidents. Now live people are pulled out of cars with accordioned front ends. The live ones didn't lose.

Corvere?!? Shame on you; even that Toyota SUV driver might have been able to spell it. By the way, Ralph Nader's famous book about auto safety in general and the Corvair in particular was Unsafe at Any Speed.

My mom had two Corvairs and a Pinto. And look who's still alive lol
You don't drive Detroit iron, it drives you

When I started driving, I think gas was like....$1.08...somewhere around there. I thought it was expensive back then because I only worked part time. I'd love to get those prices now! Oh well, my 06 Chevy Malibu is awesome and gets like 21 mpg after driving in the city for a couple months (I don't take long trips too often and we don't have freeways in Lubbock). On the Highway I get about 31. Coupled with the fact that I rarely drive except to the gym since I work from home, I only fill up once every 2-3 weeks.

My best scenario would be having that Nova again, but having a Prius or something as a daily driver. I'll tell you what I don't miss though, is not having air conditioning, power windows, power steering, and especially power brakes.

I have a lot of admiration for Ralph Nader, certainly until the last few years. I do think picking on the Corvair was wrong, but he prevented a lot of deaths and injuries with the rest of his crusade against the auto industry. As for the Pinto, a simple redesign would have corrected the problem, but Ford decided it was cheaper to settle the occasional lawsuit and then, when the publicity got too hot, it quit making them. That's just plain stupid.

Corvere?!? Shame on you; even that Toyota SUV driver might have been able to spell it. By the way, Ralph Nader's famous book about auto safety in general and the Corvair in particular was Unsafe at Any Speed.

lol. My humble apologies! I have corrected my obvious lack of care for cars for posterities sake! lol. If it gets me any points back I knew it looked wrong! I had heard of Nader's book but did not know the Corvair was such a focal point. I'll have to shame my father now since his "joke" was not original! Or maybe Nader stole the title from my dad...

xvart.

If Nader didn't steal it himself, his presence might have been enough to allow someone else to steal it. Wouldn't be the last time.

Back