Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made flow hood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home made flow hood

This is my home made flow hood, I built this off various designs I found off the internet. I debated how to build this for quite some time and this is what I came up with.

-For the clean area, using a 10 gallon tank with the bottom broke out courtesy of a hammer.
    -Two filters were used, but too cheap to buy HEPA filters, so got premium 10x20 filters from Lowes. One even fits right into the black rim of the fish tank!
    -I then built the surrounding enclosure with particle board. I decided on particle board since it's cheap, but also has a very smooth surface. I felt it was a a sturdy clean wood to use.
    -An internal fan was used, however it actually doesn't provide enough current... but I havn't fixed this yet. We will see how much contamination it provides. If it's too much, $30 might fix that problem.
    -After screwing it all together, cursing a few times due to bad measurements, here's how it turned out! (Microwave is for sterilization and late night nachos)

-Click on the thumbnails for larger pics:

My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Job well done !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice but how does the filter operate? I am pondering building a better unit than my sterelite transformed glove box so any input on how yours works would be great!

I know a microwave is faster but can you really sterilize with it? I bought a 16 quart pressure cooker at Walmart ($60) for my sterilizations. I could have got a microwave for about 1/2 that but people told me they didn't work as well as a PC (plus no metal implements can go in the nuke). Have you tried it yet - is everything staying contaminate free so far? It'd be nice not to have to fire up the PC just to do one or two small things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,

If you look, you can see two different filters, the filter at the top is a pre-filter that sucks in air. Behind that filter is a fan that is sitting on top of a wood platform with a hole in it. The fan pushes air through that and into the lower chamber. When the air enters the lower chamber, it then gets pushed through a second filter and into the clean area. While I suppose I could buy hepa filters, I wanted to see if I could get away with using very high quality home filters. So far I've had zero contamination with jars that are probably going on 4 weeks old. I'll try to take some more pics of the inside when I change the prefilter, it's starting to get pretty dusty.

I've done a few batches of media with the microwave, and a few with the pressure cooker. So far I like the microwave better. I can control how much I want the jars to boil, for how long, etc. With the PC, I have no clue what's going on in there, and some of my jars didn't even melt the agar completely. (That happens with the microwave too occasionally, but it's a quick fix, w/ the pressure cooker is hours lost, if not a day) So, I found the pressure cooker to be more of a hassle, maybe I'll use it for my tools but going back to nuking my media.
    Last edited by MrFlyTrap2; 02-08-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: proofread first, post second
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should be able to light a lighter, and have the flame stay lit but have movement.

gimmie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Mr. Flytrap! 4 weeks is pretty good, if anything nasty were to pop up on your agar it "should" have by now - so that's very promising!

About the fan, are you using a PC fan, squirel cage fan or a heavier duty air duct fan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea it should be a squirrel fan, and make sure you use a pre filter (thats not a HEPA filter), other wise your HEPA filters life will go down allot.

Ive found that using a microwave is OK for Agar... but PC is just the safest method next an expensive autoclave. Glad its working out for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I used a high power AC fan which is about the same size as some of the larger fans, but it moves a lot more air.

Nepenthes AK, I did a test seeing how fast it would fill up a garbage bag for my airflow. It wasn't terrible, but I feel I need to add another fan of the same size for my setup. I'll try the lighter when I get home to see what it does.
    My Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast