February 17, 2008
I went out to the shed and got the green chicken wire covers for the minibogs.
Up until last spring, the CDs kept birds away..but last Spring I encountered one robin who refused to be scared away..I suspect she was gathering materials for a new nest.
she picked out a lot of the spagnum every day, ripping out plants in the process..
so I had "take it up a notch" and devise some new protection.
So I went to Home Depot and found "green chicken wire"..its regular chicken wire, but coated in a green plastic or vinyl..I cut the wire into circular shapes, and pin them down.
Im not thrilled with the look..I would prefer not to use the wire at all..but the protection of the plants supercedes aesthetics.
Soon the plants grow up through the wire, and by mid-summer you hardly notice it.
I also installed the drain hoses..the drains are located about 3" down from the surface.
so the bogs stay saturated with water 3" from the top..
I didnt devise any method for checking the water level, because I dont consider it terribly
important...I simply add water whenever I feel its needed...every couple days or so.
maybe every day during summer heat waves.
I just fill the pots until water drains out the tubing.
I have created a rain water collection system...I will write more about that when it comes time to set it back up in the spring...
For now im just using store-bought bottles of distilled water.