User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "A year in the life" of my CP's - part 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    August 31, 2008
    Late Summer Update!

Its the last day of August..
    Summer is winding down.

We are now 6 months into the growing season, only 1.5 to 2 months left before the big winter sleep.

We had a beautifully cool few weeks in mid-August!
    temps in the mid-70's! (24C) fabulous for this time of year!
    Im not a fan of Summer heat..
    I cant stand 90 degree (33C) summer days..ugh.
    It was very unusually cool for this time of year..
    I think we have only run the AC maybe 3 or 4 days all summer..
    it was very sunny though, which was nice for the plants.

now, for early September, we are heating back up to typical summer temps..
    the next week is forecast for highs in the upper 80's..(31C)
    Summer isnt over yet!

The plants have had a great season out on the deck..still filling up with bugs!
    things are starting to look a bit "worn out" though..pitchers are browning, VFTs looks a bit tattered..
    but thats normal for this time of year..

I think I only did one or two "clean-up" of the plants this season, cutting away of the dead and brown leaves..the bogs have not been touched much at all...
    im just letting them "do their thing"!

Here is a look at things on the last day of August..
    2 more weeks of Summer to go. (according to my personal calendar!
    then Autumn arrives on September 15th..
    the plants will stay outdoors through the cool days and nights of October, until the first big freeze of winter hits..usually late October or early November..then they go into the stairwell for the winter again.

the green chicken wire is squeezing the purps a bit..
    I might try skipping the wire next spring..
    Last spring (2007) I had problems with a robin picking at the moss and pulling out plants.
    (which was the reason I installed chicken wire)
    I suspect she was gathering materials for a spring nest.
    But the bogs were freshly created that spring..now they are well established and the surface isnt as "loose"..
    I might try it without the wire mesh next spring, see how things go..
    I would much prefer it wasnt there..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October 11, 2008
    Mid-Autumn update!

Its now the middle of October..the 2008 growing season only has a few weeks left to go..

Everything is looking pretty ratty and worn-out..which is normal for this time of year..

The poor VFT's! they look terrible!

actually..they are perfectly fine!

they are supposed to look that way in the fall!
    If your VFTs are all nice and green in October, you are probably hurting them with kindness..

I only "neatened up" the bogs twice this year, by cutting away the old dead growth..
    once in late spring at the end of the "burn season" when the sun-burned indoor growth had been replaced by new outdoor growth..then one more time in mid-summer..maybe July.
    So right now they have gone a few months without any major tending on my part..all I do is keep them watered and let them do their thing naturally..

Did I say "everything is looking pretty ratty and worn-out"?
    well..not everything!
    The S. leucophylla are putting on a fabulous Autumn display right now! showing off those gorgeous "fall pitchers" that the luecos are famous for:

Nice!
    that's the one impressive Autumn display among the Sarrs..
    (all the rest look like the VFTs..very tired, brown, and ready to sleep after another great summer!)

We have had one light frost so far, a few weeks ago, but I didn't bother to move or protect the plants..I just let them get frosted..its good for them! I wont bother to move or protect the plants unless it going to get into the 20's overnight..32 degrees and one light frost wont hurt them at all..

(the only exception is my lone D. capensis pot..it is already inside for the winter)

Most nights over the last few weeks have had lows in the 40's and 50's..thats fine.
    they stay out until nights seriously begin to fall below freezing on a regular basis.

I will make the decision to "put them to bed" for the winter when that begins to happen..
    we arent quite there yet..

The next update will be a big one!
    it will be the annual "putting the plants away for their winter dormancy" process..
    coming soon..only a few more weeks to go.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your leucos are lovely. Still awaiting dormancy to appear...I think the first to go dormant will be the filiformis. Not sure if I should be reducing watering or not.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Your leucos are lovely. Still awaiting dormancy to appear...I think the first to go dormant will be the filiformis. Not sure if I should be reducing watering or not.
    Thanks!

IMO, dormancy doesn't really "appear"..
    its not like you look at your plants one day and they look "normal"..
    then you look at them the next day, and: "oh! they are dormant now! dormancy has appeared!"

Dormancy appears very slowly for four solid months..all of July, August, September and October..its not a sudden process at all..

I dont really reduce water for the VFTs and Sarrs..
    I just drain the bogs before I wrap them up, so the media is slightly drier all winter..
    "less water" might apply to some Drosera that have a mild dormancy..
    but for VFTs and Sarrs I have never seen any reason to water less in autumn..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know it's a slow process . Never knew it started that early, though, I thought it began in September o.o. And as for the watering, I've heard it's best to reduce watering or they'll easily rot, especially filiformis x_x. I guess that's false? My mini-bog has drainage holes, btw.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Yes, I know it's a slow process . Never knew it started that early, though, I thought it began in September o.o.
    well..no one can really pin-point when it begins..I say July-October because the photoperiod begins to decrease at the Summer solstice in late June..
    but temps dont really begin to fall until September..
    so its a grey area!

even though they are very actively growing in July and August, I think one could argue "the dormancy process" really begins in July as the plants begin to "notice" that days are slowly getting shorter..then the dormancy process really "picks up the pace" in September and October as less daylight combines with lowering temps to really get the dormancy process going..

even if there are no outward physical signs that the dormancy process is beginning in July, the plants are still beginning to prepare for dormancy anyway..we cant always physically see what the plants are "thinking"..what changes they are undergoing, and when, during the entire year-long "dormancy" - "coming out of dormancy" - "growth" - "going dormant" - "dormant again" cycle.

And as for the watering, I've heard it's best to reduce watering or they'll easily rot, especially filiformis x_x. I guess that's false? My mini-bog has drainage holes, btw.
    I dont know about filiformis..im really only referring to VFTs and Sarrs in my "year in the life" posts..so dont apply what im saying to all CPs!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, ok. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant wait for the next update.
    Happy Holiday

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast