Webpage is updated!
It now contains everything in this thread..
(except for all your comments of course..)
its SPRING again!
The "year in the life" has come full circle!
(well..as I said a year ago..its Spring for my plants, but definately not Spring for me!
it is 8 degrees F (negative 13 C) outside as I type this on March 3rd..there is still a good month of winter yet to go)
But the plants are ready to come out!
I took them out on February 22 this year..a week later than usual, but only because I was too busy the weekend before..actually, I have been considering just keeping them in the stairwell until April! but im still not sure how that would work..and since the plants have had plently long enough dormancy already (3.5 to 4 months by late February) its fine them for them to come out now..
Another sucessful winter's sleep!
everything appears alive!
they sit in front of the sliding glass doors until they go back outside for the season (usually mid-April)
In the fall, as I was cutting off all the pitchers, I marked a few Sarracenia for re-planting in the spring..I had several smaller plants that were crowded in among much larger plants, and the larger plants were shading them too much, so im going to dig them out and plant the smaller plants into their own container, creating a 4th large mini-bog. They are all smallish "mixed hybrids"..As soon as we get a warm enough day, I will drag the bogs out onto the deck and do the repotting. I want at least a 40 degree day (+4C) to do that! there are no 40 degree days coming anytime soon.
These 4 smaller pots are the S. minor clump, a pot of D. filliformis, the D. binata clump (which STILL needs repotting! I didnt do it last year!)
but this spring Im going to cut it in half and create two D. binata pots.
and the 4th small pot is a S. flava 'veinless' that is going to get repotted into to the new sarracenia bog.
So thats all for now!
I will update the re-planting whenever I get to it..hopefully in a week or two..I would like to do it before all the plants start serious new growth.
then that will probably be the end of "year in the life 2008"!
a full year documented.
Yet ANOTHER great update! Thanks for sharing.
making the chart was somewhat complicated, but not too bad once you get into it..
1. goto: http://www.wunderground.com/
2. enter your city/state in the search field at the very top. - click "go".
3. down at the bottom, there might be more specific local "weather stations"..if so, click on one.
4. you will see "Daily Summary for March 5, 2009" click on the "yearly" tab.
5. that opens up a massive chart of data for the whole year!
6. I then copied the entire mass of data and pasted it into excel..
then deleted everything except for three columns: date, high temp, low temp.
7. then graphed the data in excel.
8. did a screen capture to make the final .gif in photoshop.
then added in text, colors, various lines, etc..
9. save it as a big .gif
I actually made it in bits and pieces..adding new data in every few months until the whole chart was done..
I worked on it in several 15 minute spans over the past year..
all told, I probably spent an hour total making the chart...maybe 2 hours..but I never kept track.
Fantastic, Scot! Always look forward to your updates. And hey, the plants look great - you're going to have a banner spring!
Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium
My photos are copyright-free and public domain
You've got a nice webpage.
March 14, 2009
Time for a repotting..its overdue.
Got some new peat moss:
Im going to take some sarrs out of the three large minibogs and make a 4th, smaller minibog,
which will contain the "misfits"!
then the three big bogs will be mostly all one variety of Sarr..plus VFTs..
One bog will be Leah wilkerson and three S. 'excellens'
One bog will be all Judith Hindle.
One bog will be all Leucophylla.
and the forth, new bog will be a mix of sarrs..
and oh yeah, im also separating out the Sarracenia rubra ssp. alabamensis AL-02 and giving it its own pot.
The D. binata pot REALLY needs to be repotted!
im going to cut the mass in half, seperate the two halves, and re-plant both in a larger pot,
to make more room to grow.
the binata pot after repotting:
And the new minibog:
containing random sarrs taken out of the larger bogs.