User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: "A year in the life" of my CP's - part 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    I was wondering the same thing xP Why did you have Kodak stuff in that fridge?
    I work at Kodak!
    The disposable was probably a "test" camera..I used to have tons of disposables lying around..not any more though.
    Im shooting mostly digital these days..although my wife is still a purist shooting film with her SLR..

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The difference between our respective approaches centers around light and air circulation. I like to keep them open and responsive to the photoperiod. Do you apply a fungicide?

And again, who can argue with success.... year after year after year...!
    Jim,
    nope, I never use fungicide..every February when I open up the bogs there is usually some white whispy mold that has grown over the winter, but it never seems to harm the plants..I suspect the extreme cold (35F) helps keep the mold under control..it grows, but very slowly..if my plants were at 50 degrees all winter I would worry more..

for me, mold does happen over the winter, but is never a real concern..when I open up the plants in February I just dump some water over the mold as I water the pots, and it disappears in days..

its just thin white whispy strands growing on the plant "stumps" that remain after I cut everything away in November..I dont believe it has killed, or even harmed, any of my plants.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh! people were asking why the camera is in the fridge specifically!
    I didnt catch that..

Film, and disposable cameras, should be stored in the fridge of you arent going to use them for awhile..

Film actually can be frozen..it stops the "aging process" of the film..
    I recently used film from work that was frozen when it was first made, and had an "expiration date" of 1997..I used it 10 years after it "expired"..but because it had been frozen all these years, it was perfectly fine!

But people dont really need to know these kinds of things anymore..
    film is nearly dead..

my wife lost her job because film has died..along with 75% of the Kodak workforce over the last 10 years..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to water the plants during dormancy? Can you just keep them in plastic bags like that without watering? Thanks for these "Year in the life" threads, they've been very helpful, informative, and fun to read!
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    Do you need to water the plants during dormancy? Can you just keep them in plastic bags like that without watering? Thanks for these "Year in the life" threads, they've been very helpful, informative, and fun to read!
    I dont water them at all..
    I seal them tight with plastic, so no water can escape..they are sealed air-tight..

I dont open the plastic at all for ther entire 3.5 month dormancy.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    November 2, 2008

Putting the plants away for the winter!

Probably the single "busiest" day of the entire "CP year" has arrived again..
    the annual "putting the plants to bed day"..

I always leave the plants out as long as possible..late October or early November..
    until nights start falling below freezing on a regular basis..

This year the date is November 2.
    there have been a few frosts already, I just left the plants out in the first few light frosts,
    its fine, they can handle it.
    but we did get a few lows during the last few weeks that dipped down to a around 27F (negative 3C),
    so I did move the plants into the garage for those nights.

First step..
    about a week ago I took the plants out of their water trays, and I tipped the bogs on their side to drain:

I do this so the media isnt soaking wet all winter..I want them to be slightly drier over the winter than during the growing season..
    so I give them a week or so to dry out a little bit..

then..the big event..CUTTING away of all the growth!
    I do this because the plants are wrapped tight in plastic all winter, they are in pitch-darkness, 35 degree (+2C) temps,
    and they simply do NOT grow all winter..at all.
    they dont need their leaves, and all that extra greenery would only encourage fungus to grow,
    so I snip everything away, right down to the ground.

the bogs are lined up, ready to go:

the scissors come out, and after about 45 minutes of cutting, we have this!

All those lovely pitchers, and all the nutritious bugs they still contain, go into the compost pile, to feed next years flower gardens:

Now its time for the wrapping..
    I use regular black plastic trash bags, stick the bogs in sideways:

Twist up the ends of the bag so its air-tight, and tape it down with regular clear plastic packing tape:

In addition to the three mini-bogs (which contain only Sarracenia and VFT's)
    I also have four other pots that need to join the bogs in dormancy.
    One D. binata clump, a D. filliformis, a S. flava 'veinless' and the big S. minor clump:

Open up the stairwell and clean out all the spider webs with a broom:

Put all the plants in place:

Close both doors..and the plants are ready to snooze away the next three and a half months..they wont be seen again
    until the middle of February. (I sometimes check the temp over the winter, but its always nice and cool..and even when
    its 0 degrees F outside (negative 18 C) its still around 35F (+2C) inside their little chamber..its perfect!)

the view from outside the stairwell:

Its also the day for putting away the rain water collector, it wont be needed again until spring:

the "normal" downspout is replaced, and the water bin is cleaned out and stored in the shed for the winter.

The "CP corner" on the deck looks barren and lonely:

And the trees are ready for winter too:

Autumn is a short season around here..it only lasts about 6 weeks,
    and by November 1st, its pretty much over, and winter is here.

And thats it for the 2008 growing season!
    but its not the end of the "year in the life"!
    there are still 3.5 months to go in the year..
    They plants have merely started their "fourth quarter"..
    only 75% of the year is over..the remaining 25% is very important to the long-term
    health of the plants..

now we wait for winter to pass by...

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another excellent post in a great series. Thanks for the public service, Soct!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed- very good. Almost time to be doing the chop chop here too (or maybe I'll just leave them a while (seems like I JUST did it to the spring pitchers haha...) don't you just LOVE all the splashing that happens when you cut the pitchers off? haha I fill a full size (outdoor) garbage can when I do mine
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Another excellent post in a great series. Thanks for the public service, Soct!

Capslock
    I agree. Scot's "Year in the life" posts are some of the most informative threads. I enjoy them all and am inspired to one day live in an apartment or house where I can follow the pictorials! Thanks, Scot.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast