User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: "A year in the life" of my CP's - part 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, you have a relatively short growing season. I bet you miss the all those pitchers by now!

Great posts, BTW!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your site, and I was waiting for you to updayte it before I found this forum. Thanks for updating it! I was very anxious to see what you would do. :]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informitive thread scottychaos I can't wait till next season to see how they all do again also cute black cat reminds me of a cat I had long time ago.

My minibog and flytraps are still outside I don't water them anymore they get rained on a bit, but I think after next week I'll be putting them in for the winter I'l try your method I have a nice area for them. =)
    .../l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノgrowlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot and I live about an hour apart, so essentially what he gets, I get. And while his gets a buzz cut and put into dark plastic bags for the winter, mine get the dead foliage removed and exposed to the air and whatever light that shines through a garage window. He's been doing this for several years and me for only four. I can't argue with his experience or success. And yet my minibogs also resulted in flowering Sarracenias and cobra lily. Just goes to show you that are often more than one way to approach the same successful result.

One question, though: Why a buzz cut on green foliage? I've read that the greenery is helpful toward photosynthesis in the spring? Is that true or just a myth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    glad you are all enjoying all this..
    (sorry im behind on updating the webpage..I will get to that soon..)

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post

One question, though: Why a buzz cut on green foliage? I've read that the greenery is helpful toward photosynthesis in the spring? Is that true or just a myth?
    Jim,
    I cut off all the greenery for two reasons:

1. Im afraid all that foliage will be a feeding ground for fungus..because my plants are wrapped up tight all winter..no light, no circulating air.

2. space! which used to be at a premium when I actually used the fridge!
    now that im using the basement stairwell rather than the fridge, I suppose technically I could now bag up the bogs without cutting off everything, because space is no longer an issue..

honestly, ive never tried it! leaving all the greenery on while bagging them up..
    logically I think it would be a bad idea..but I dont know for sure.

If I left them out in the "open air" somewhere, like a garage, where they could be protected from outdoor temps but still get some light, then leaving all the greenery would make a lot more sense..but I dont have that option..

and yes, I agree leaving all the greenery on would definately give the plants a "head start" in the spring..so there are benefits to leaving the greenery intact..

but I have never felt my plants "suffer" at all from having the greenery cut off..
    yes, perhaps they would do better in the spring if I didnt cut it all off..
    but I dont feel that they do badly in the spring!

So I simply cut away all the greenery because thats what works best for me..
    mainly because of the way I bag my plants up..no light, no air circulation.
    no greenery is a bonus for that kind of setup..
    yes it might "slow" the plants in the spring compared to leaving the greenery on..
    but for me thats a non-issue, because im perfectly happy with my "slow" plants in the spring! I think they do just fine...

Scot

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what works best for me..
    That pretty much sums it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webpage is updated!

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/

It now contains everything in this thread..
    (except for all your comments of course..)

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its SPRING again!
    The "year in the life" has come full circle!

(well..as I said a year ago..its Spring for my plants, but definately not Spring for me!
    it is 8 degrees F (negative 13 C) outside as I type this on March 3rd..there is still a good month of winter yet to go)

But the plants are ready to come out!
    I took them out on February 22 this year..a week later than usual, but only because I was too busy the weekend before..actually, I have been considering just keeping them in the stairwell until April! but im still not sure how that would work..and since the plants have had plently long enough dormancy already (3.5 to 4 months by late February) its fine them for them to come out now..

Another sucessful winter's sleep!
    everything appears alive!
    they sit in front of the sliding glass doors until they go back outside for the season (usually mid-April)

In the fall, as I was cutting off all the pitchers, I marked a few Sarracenia for re-planting in the spring..I had several smaller plants that were crowded in among much larger plants, and the larger plants were shading them too much, so im going to dig them out and plant the smaller plants into their own container, creating a 4th large mini-bog. They are all smallish "mixed hybrids"..As soon as we get a warm enough day, I will drag the bogs out onto the deck and do the repotting. I want at least a 40 degree day (+4C) to do that! there are no 40 degree days coming anytime soon.

These 4 smaller pots are the S. minor clump, a pot of D. filliformis, the D. binata clump (which STILL needs repotting! I didnt do it last year!)
    but this spring Im going to cut it in half and create two D. binata pots.
    and the 4th small pot is a S. flava 'veinless' that is going to get repotted into to the new sarracenia bog.

So thats all for now!
    I will update the re-planting whenever I get to it..hopefully in a week or two..I would like to do it before all the plants start serious new growth.

then that will probably be the end of "year in the life 2008"!
    a full year documented.

thanks,
    Scot

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast