What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

have i said before that i love my state?

first my DEMOCRAT governor told the feds to go blow themselves over teh National ID cards and now this :grin:

http://sos.mt.gov/News/archives/2008/February/2-19-08.htm

JOHNSON JOINS "HELLER" CHORUS

HELENA—Secretary of State Brad Johnson joined the many other Montanans who have weighed in on the DC v. Heller case currently before the U.S. Supreme Court. A letter to the editor from Johnson appeared in today’s Washington Times, urging the court to protect an individual’s right to bear arms.

“This is an important issue for Montanans,” Johnson said. “Many of Montana’s elected officials spoke out on this issue; I am proud to be among them.”

The letter can be found at this link. (third article down)

Johnson’s letter argued that Montana’s agreement with the United States to enter the union included Montana’s constitution at the time, which guaranteed the right of “any person” to bear arms. He urged the Supreme Court to uphold an individual rights interpretation of the Second Amendment, rather than a collective interpretation, as best in keeping with Montana’s Compact with the United States.

Many other elected officials around Montana have concurred in a statement of the same argument, in a bipartisan effort to defend Montanans’ individual right to keep and bear arms. The list of officials, as well as their resolution, can be found at: http://www.progunleaders.org.

Good for you! I hate my state we have the lowest teacher pay in the nation and the stupid politicians refuse to raise it or invest any money in education. :poke:

Just think of it, if all of montana combined in once place you would ba a very formidable small city! :nana:

as if someone in SD should talk...

Just think of it, if all of montana combined in once place you would ba a very formidable small city! :nana:

as if someone in SD should talk...

:grin: you say that like its a bad thing......dont think we have broke 1 million yet :grin: the biggest city only has about 100,000 if you count the suburbs that used to be towns 20 years ago

Got some good rocks out that way too. :p

I hear Montana has a lot of dinsaurs. :)

I hear Montana has a lot of dinsaurs. :)

They used to, but they all are dead now. I think it was a comet or something.

:-))

I hear Montana has a lot of dinsaurs.

lets put it this way......when out hunting deer elk and antelope i keep my eyes on the ground as much as up........several important dinosaur finds in this part of the state were made by hunters.

Couldn't imagine why that is Finch...then again, SD has a lower GDP than Sudan, Slovenia, and Belarus. Montana is one below that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...minal_GDP#2005

Texas ftw. 11th highest GDP in the world whooooooo.

yeah but not bad for 2 "countries" with 1 and 0.75 million ppl apiece.............most above us are atleast double that

Slovenia is has double that. Sudan has like 39+ million hahaha

The cost of living is also much higher in most of those states too. Land and living is cheap here, the same cannot be said for California. We don't need 600,000 to buy a modest house out here.

Plus once i finish my undergraduate I am out of here, so continues the young person flight from the upper plains.

Plus once i finish my undergraduate I am out of here, so continues the young person flight from the upper plains.

Hence the reason house rates are cheap there and climbing higher and higher in other places.

Yeah Kaliforniah is nuts. Texas can be expensive in the bigger cities like Houston/Austin/DFW, but out here in the south plains, everything is dirt cheap. I think the median income in Lubbock is like 32k or something.

i have to laugh about something...........................this topic has led to a completely different conversation on a different forum.......

basically what Montana's Secritary of State is implying with the letter......he doesnt come out and say it......but implies that Montana will seriously look at succeeding from the US if the US Supreme Court rules against Heller. this is because not only will this go against the US Constitution, the Montana Constitution specifically states that every person has the right to bear arms to protect life and property........

I love your state also, rattler. One of the top 5 most scenic states, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind retiring on some land in the Montana rockies. But then again, I'm very biased to liking the mountain west more than any other american region.

If Montana succeeds, Texas better do so too, especially since we're the only state that's legally allowed to. Civil War v2.0.
(we were actually illegally incorporated into the US as well, so technically, we should still be a republic)

I can't judge whether either state will ever succeed, but maybe one or the other will secede. I'd happily wave goodbye to Texas; it isn't worth the trouble. But we should keep Montana. I've never been there, but hope to take the train that goes through there in the next few years. Not this year, though, because we're planning to take Amtrak to LA and get off for a few days in NM. In the real Las Vegas.

Back to guns, I think there are about as many guns as cars in the US, with somewhere near 250 million of each, give or take. Both are pretty ridiculous numbers for a country of 300 million. The guns aren't even remotely as destructive as the cars, no matter how we measure it (deaths, environmental degradation, ...), but I think it's reasonable for guns to be registered too and for their "operators" to need a license. All in all, I think guns don't rank very highly on the list of the country's problems and that we ought to do something about our serious problems instead.

actually, part of Montana's agreement in joining the US was that the US government agreed to Montana's constitution, especially recognizing that Montana believes that it is the individuals right. if by the 1000 to 1 shot that the SC votes against Heller than the US government is infact in breech of contract and it is legal for Montana to succeed........Montana and Texas arent the only states that would be able to do this, about a dozen states have similar agreements. you may argue that the constitution is a "living document" subject to interpretation by the current populous, but there is no such thing as a "living contract" no matter how old it is..........

Bruce.........in this case on guns....DC is the one that started the fight. Heller is just arguing that DC is in violation of the 2nd amendment because they have outlawed hand guns and made it, legally, near impossible to have a long gun or shotgun handy to defend yourself in your own home.

the DC courts ofcourse said the law is legal so Heller decided to bring it infront of the Supreme Court. unfortunately for DC their brief is poorly written, wondering trying to make some abstract point and they infact have a very poor case. the Heller brief is very, very well written and is clear and concise and has a strong case.

its kinda funny Bush gave his 2 cents and told the justices that they needed to call it an individual right but that the federal government can regulate it. Cheney weighed in and said its an individual right period. alot of big cities have weighed in and said uphold the DC case, some states like Montana are saying it is most defiantly a individual right and this is worth fighting over

It's definitely worth fighting for. I don't want to turn into Australia.

its hard trying to survive with prcies rising on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back