Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing Medium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Medium

Ciao Everyone,

I'm using a new growing medium of 50% Peat Moss,25% Perlite, 13% Silica sand and 12% Charcoal. Please let me know what you think. This is my grow list if anybody wants to trade and thank you in advance for any useful information!

Giovanni

VFT: Typical, Royal Red, Big Mouth, Pink, Dente, Dutch, Fang, Cross Teeth and Red Dragon.

Nepenthes madagascariensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italo.america View Post
    Ciao Everyone,

I'm using a new growing medium of 50% Peat Moss,25% Perlite, 25% Silica sand and 25% Charcol. Please let me know what you think. This is my grow list if anybody wants to trade and thank you in advance for any useful information!

Giovanni

VFT: Typical, Royal Red, Big Mouth, Pink, Fang, Cross Tooth and Red Dragon.

Nepenthes madagascariensis
    I don't know about the Nep, but all you really need for the VFTs is just peat and perlite. No need to get fancy. BTW, 'Big Mouth' is a very nice cultivar.

Oh, and 50%+25%+25%+25% does not add up to 100%.

EDIT: You can also add an offical grow list here:
    http://terraforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your post!

Unfortunatley, here in Northern Arizona the humidity is a little tricky. Even in the growing season, my VFTS retain water and do not burn it off. I've lost several VFTS to root rot.
    Thus, I need the Charcoal to help dry out the growing medium.
    Thank you for the compliment on my Big Mouth, it and my Royal Red are my two favorites.

giovanni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had my Nepenthes do well in peat, too wet and the roots don't form well in my climate controlled grow chambers, perhaps if you are growing in non-90% RH environment then peat may be ok. For Neps I always used Long Fibered Spahgnum moss or LFS and fine grade orchid bark if it needs to be a bit drier/faster draining. No harm in adding charcoal to Nep soil since you won't be unpotting it for a looong time.

Can't help ya with VFTs - I kill those just by looking at them in the store !

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a simple mix - sand & peat, with a layer of LFS, preferably live. The deeper the pot the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim and Thank You!

What advantages does the sand have over Perlite? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to use a growing medium that will allow the soil to dry out faster. Due to the lack of humidity here in Prescott, I've lost several VFTS to root rot.
    Also, if anybody out there has a Green Dragon for trade or sale please contact me. Thank you in advance to anybody with any useful information.
    Giovanni

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't like the "nails on chalkboard" texture of Perlite, nor that it rises to the top and easily turns green. I also have a readily available supply of sand from a nearby creek. Both are great for providing drainage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny but I've decided to stop using sand.

It’s too heavy when added to pots and weighs down and compacts the peat. It too easily washes out thru drainage holes (even with a LFS wick) and it dries far more quickly than perlite. Dry sand washes away faster than perlite from the top of containers as well.

The cleanup is the worst part of sand for me. Since I live in an apartment I have to perform my container gardening in my kitchen. Sand gets EVERYWHERE and is difficult to see and cleanup. Perlite is easily swept up or vacuumed.

That’s my 2˘ anyway…………….
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast