Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lent stories straight from your bellybutton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lent stories straight from your bellybutton

I was inspired to start this thread by conversation a few days ago in the TF chatbox. What are you all giving up for Lent (for those of you who observe it, obviously). Although I am not Catholic, I do have a short Lent story.

A short while ago this year, my 23 year old sister asked me what Lent was. I started to explain that it is material that gets pulled off clothing and collects in the basket in the dryer. It also is found in peoples' bellybuttons (found out the hard way that it is not the same as cotton candy). I quickly stopped myself when I realized she was asking about the religious holiday and not actual lint.

Is following Lent hard to stick to for you guys (kinda like New Year's resolutions)?
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During Lent, I don't eat meat, drive to work, or go paragliding. It isn't very hard because I have lots of practice, since I don't do them before or after Lent either.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year I didn't give anything up, but in the past my coworker and I would give up something. She'd give up chocolate and I'd give up Mountain Dew. I think I'd loose about 8 to 10lbs in the process, but it'd quickly come back after.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My history teacher asked us first during class "Is a frosty a desert or a drink?" It seemed kinda weird, then he went to explain how he was on Lent and tried to kick off certain kinds of drinks. He said that he went to Wendy's and accidentally got a frosty, and his wife saw him, and he said "Uh...it's a desert! I'm eating it with a spoon!"

Lol I dunno, kinda funny.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lent, what
    I eat meat, smoke, drink during lent.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here zero... same here.

When is it exactly, isnt that when people get the ash on their head?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Ash Wednesday, which is the day after Fat Tuesday, AKA Mardi Gras. It isn't a specific date and is based on an interaction of lunar and solar and religious cycles that would impress even a Mayan high priest.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really understood the purpose of Lent. Wouldn't it be better to pledge a public service for...however many days it is...30? 40?

I guess as part of the lentian activities a friend of mine's son gave up food for 30 hours. Wouldn't it have made more impact to have worked in a soup kitchen for 30 hrs?

I would gladly give up stress for Lent.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast