User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Kid Is Single-handedly Killing My Plants!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Kid Is Single-handedly Killing My Plants!

My CP collection is currently scattered, due to space and dormancy considerations. My buckets of minibogs are with a co-worker, while the bulk of the collection is on the 5-tiered rack, a small rack for the Neps, our bedroom window sill, and the boys' window sill. On occasion, the boys' room gets too hot and they open the window. Although I have temperate plants there, they just can't take going from 75 to 25 in a short space of time. So I said to them, if they absolutely have to open the window, first move my plants to safety. Well..... the oldest boy, home for a week, doesn't know this and last night he opened the window. I was just making a list of plants to ship and wanted to send out a D. binata. All 4 trays on the window sill were frozen. I don't know right now what plants have actually died, but I know I can't ship anything!

And when I came home from work, I noticed that my water bath was room temp. I knew happened. The kid unplugged the cord so he could plug in his laptop. He didn't know. He's a fine boy, my pride and joy.... but I just can't wait to send him back to school!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    He's a fine boy, my pride and joy.... but I just can't wait to send him back to school!

Maybe you should make some kind of sign and place it near the plants/rack(s)?
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe, Jim, it's time to put those lab skills to use! If your lab is anything like mine, the only way to communicate anything even moderately important is to tape signs up! (DON'T TOUCH or DO NOT UNPLUG)

edit: joossa beat me to it! =)
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he did not know the changes, perhaps you should explain it to him so he will know what not to do? Just to avoid any future accidents, eh? Heh, sorry to hear about your plants.
    that makes no logic

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He knows now! He won't read signs, though. Someone suggested an electrical field around the plants. Hmmmm......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wont read the signs... well really he should be more considerate and pay attention. If I remember correctly, I have the same condition as your son, but he's gotta be more aware of his surroundings then.

I cannot speak for him, but
    Sometimes, I too miss things that should be glaringly obvious. If I am not expecting to see something, I will not see it sometimes. If you change things around that were not there previously, it may not fully be on the list of "things to watch out for" despite the obvious. If you want to prevent this you should point out beforehand what has changed since his last visit. At the same time, he should be on the lookout for these things anyways. Paying attention to the environment is something you just have to watch out for, he should know that. But really it can be hard sometimes, though. Its just something that has to be worked at.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... like the time I decided our frogs wanted a glass of milk... mind you I was only like 4. It was sad though, I was only trying to share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... thats not funny.
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast