What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Politics politics politicians...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh... of course it's different, but in a stereotypical sense, it's the same situation.

I'll agree with you on Abrahamic religions (except for the violence comment). I'll go ahead and say I don't care for any organized religion. Once you start taking directions from a book, you go downhill from there. The people who claim that God talks to them and gives them orders are the ones who really scare me.

And just how will dropping pigs help? It will do nothing but get PETA on the Gvmt's case, and piss off the radicals even further, except NOW even non-radicals will be personally offended, as well as Kosher Jews, and a good portion of the US population. Those with any reverence for the culture of others, at least.

Don't you tell me it's a war and not a game,as if I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, when you're the one suggesting, in all seriousness, that we drop pigs.

Well then start thinkin on both sides of the fence. As to dropping them in with slaughtered pigs it means they will not see God (Allah) thus either makin them scared or as you suggested pissing them off. But it scared them in WW2. I say hit them with it if the military wouldnt be bothered by political correctness

"When they came for the Jews I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. When they came for the gays I didn't speak up because I wasn't gay. When they came for the Catholics I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Catholics. When they came for the (whatever that guy was)....there was no one left to speak up for me."
i believe the missing word was preist. the quote is in one of my teachers rooms. ill have verify that tomorrow.

not getting in to religion as i could really care less what religion you are. im Catholic...but im not a strict one.

the war...its wrong. very very very wrong. we arent getting anything accomplished(well...almost nothing) other than a killing spree. i mostly ignore it and therefore i dont know many of the details. the middle east is a blessing and a curse for us. blessing for oil and curse for all the trouble and conflict going on over there. we cant live with them...and we cant live without them.

as far as president... im not voting in a presidential election for a LONG time... even though i turn 18 next year. politics to me is just a bunch of gibberish that aparrently affects the way i live.

Alex

the vikings had to KILL to get to Valhalla
You don't have to kill to go there, you just have to either be killed in battle, doing something awesome (for lack of better word) like saving someone, or kill yourself. It was better to kill yourself than be killed. Hel was reserved for the weak, cowards, those who died in bed, etc.

Wikings never killed for religion...ever. For treasure and land sure, but never "in the name of god". When your religion gets looked down upon morally by another religion that predates it by 2000+ years, it's time to rethink where you are in life :D

Politics is SO incredibly interesting! I can't see how you could ignore it lol.

As far as the oil being a blessing, not really! We are addicted to oil! It's just like the spice in Dune (great movie!)! We're going to have to look into alternative energy. I like the idea of Hydrogen, but imagine how much the explosion from a car crash would be if we fueled the cars with Hydrogen! Moonshine, I mean Ethanol, and Bio diesel are good sources, too, but I don't see why were using corn when we could use sugar cane.

hydrogen more than likely wont work well for powering cars.......where it will work is storing extra energy produced by solar nuculer or wind power.............hydrogen takes alot of power to produce.....not very good for powering cars unless your going to convert the US from coal to all nuculer..........otherwise your putting as much or more pollutants into the air

I dont see why some people think no woman, any woman, could be president. I find that sexist.

I mean, Germany and New Zealand both have female prime ministers, and the president of India is a woman (Pratibha Patil). Benazir Bhutto was once the ruler of Pakistan, for crying out loud. Even Pakistan!

You don't have to kill to go there, you just have to either be killed in battle, doing something awesome (for lack of better word) like saving someone, or kill yourself. It was better to kill yourself than be killed. Hel was reserved for the weak, cowards, those who died in bed, etc.

Wikings never killed for religion...ever. For treasure and land sure, but never "in the name of god". When your religion gets looked down upon morally by another religion that predates it by 2000+ years, it's time to rethink where you are in life :D

They killed to get into Valhalla. Thats why Odin wanted them. So he could have brave Warriors for Ragnarok.

I dont see why some people think no woman, any woman, could be president. I find that sexist.

I mean, Germany and New Zealand both have female prime ministers, and the president of India is a woman (Pratibha Patil). Benazir Bhutto was once the ruler of Pakistan, for crying out loud. Even Pakistan!

I said because of the situation with the war she shouldnt IMO. And i also stated that Rice would be great.

i have no problem with a women president, hell i had a woman governor not long ago and the world didnt end...................i dont want Hillary for president, she scares me. she has no interest in rural america.............

hydrogen more than likely wont work well for powering cars.......where it will work is storing extra energy produced by solar nuculer or wind power.............hydrogen takes alot of power to produce.....not very good for powering cars unless your going to convert the US from coal to all nuculer..........otherwise your putting as much or more pollutants into the air
Hydrogen would be a poor choice as its very flammable...too dangerous. For those that have diesel you can pour strained (cleaned) fast food grease and get slightly less mileage but it free (for now) so who cares...

hydrogen isnt that much more flammable than gasoline vapors however its main problem is it likes to bind with other molecules.........its hard to store lots of hydrogen and transport it from place to place in large quantities without running into contaminates due to the hydrogen bonding with stuff..........not an impossible hurdle but a complicated one.........ethonal is a decent solution but not how its currently being done.....your plowing up fields used to produce food to produce gas......been hearing about a process that converts cellulose to ethonal(technically you can get ethonal from lumber....aint efficient but can be done)......right now it cost about 4 times as much and doesnt produce near enough as ethonal from simple sugars(our current process that gets it from corn) but its alot better than it was 5 years ago...............if that becomes viable, you can essenially make ethonal efficiantly from your grass clippings from mowing the lawn..............ethonal from corn makes no sence...................if we can effectivly make it from hay or lumber mill waste or corn stalks after teh corns been harvested for food.............thats making more sence

one thing to remember............corn is EXTREAMLY hard on soil........it pulls tons of nuitrients out that you have to put back in it in the form of fertilizer......most fertilizer in agriculture comes from petroleum..........

a year or two ago the farmer that had THE BEST harvest per acre for corn in the entire US was only 20 miles from my front door, up here in the frozen north with our short growing season.........they sent ppl from all over the states to find out what he did...........yah know what it was? he only plants corn in the field every other year.......on the years he doesnt plant corn he plants peas.........the peas fix nitrogen from the air and store it in their roots. after he harvested the peas, he would till them into the soil giving him "free" green fertilizer for the next year and he has bumber corn crops..............

growing corn year after year after year in the same soil doesnt work well unless you dump literally tons of fertilizer into the soil too..................keep that in mind....

Biodiesel needs to come out full force :D.

Petroleum pisses me off because it's kept artificially high. There's so much of it left (i.e. Alaska) but we don't take advantage of any of it. The oil companies just do that to keep getting more and more money, which probably is a bad idea on their part. I say that because when an alternative source does come out (if they don't assassinate the person inventing it first), all the oil they have left will be relatively worthless. There was an article in a PopSci a couple months back about a guy that invented some machine that like...pulled petroleum out of stuff. I'll have to try to look for it. I mean it made petroleum out of pretty much anything, it was crazy. Apparently oil companies want it because then they could release oil from shale or whatever its locked in, and free up a bunch more.

I agree completely with you on the ethonal. Corn prices are so hight nw they are doing corn on corn (usual method is corn-soybeans) and that is hard both on the soil, the river systems, the air, and my wallet by way of higher food prices. Not worth it!

I understand that our government is still giving the oil companies money, benefits... why? They are the last thing on earth that needs to be GIVEN money.

peanuts have lots of nitrogen....or soybeans or any bean really....

petroleum is high because the speculators keep raising the price per barrel every time someone in the middle east sneezes...........

petroleum is high because oil companies found out that the general populace didnt flinch at $3 a gallon and deman actually increased.

petroleum is high because the US severly lacks refining capsity cause we havent built a new refinery since the 70's.........we are importing refined gasoline now in some cases though we have plenty of crude due to the lack of refineries

petroleum is high because eco nuts put a block on new nuclear power plants to ruduce the need of heating oil to help ppl heat their homes(one good thing Bush did was make it harder to stop the process of building a new plant due to idiotic law suits by eco nuts, i believe there are 24 plus sites going through the process now, first time in years and years)

petroleum is going to get higher cause that idiot down in Venezuela is looking to start a war with Columbia.......after Canada and Saudi Arabia, we get more oil from Venezuela than anywhere else...............

Right, there’s a refinery planned in my state that is finalizing the paperwork as we speak.

Don’t get me started on the idiots in Venezuela or Ecuador. They have been supporting a terrorist organization and allow them refuge within their borders… Columbia has every right to defend itself against drug lords/kidnapper/communist rebels.

Geez. This topic flew along rather quickly before I could get in here.

Gonna do my moderatorly job and say I have seen some comments in this thread that were not too nice. There is no need for comments like
Are you blind?
. That's an insult.

There IS a difference between arguing and DEBATING. Words like "in my opinion" or "Its my belief" are good ways to keep comments from being taken as an attack.

And...
petroleum is high because the speculators keep raising the price per barrel every time someone in the middle east sneezes..........

Rattler is EXACTLY right. Many people are not aware of this fact. Its speculators who are driving the price of oil to a great degree.

NO ARGUING OR I WILL ASK FOR THIS THREAD TO BE CLOSED AT THE FIRST SIGN OF AN ARGUEMENT!!!!!!

And if Adam doesn't, we all know that I will. I'm all for healthy debate and commentary, especially around politics. Let's educate each other and leave the personal comments aside. Let's play nice in the sandbox.

i have no problem with someone having 3 wives if its all consensual...............however, having a wife myself, i must question their mental status.............

Heh. I can't help but laugh at this comment because I couldn't agree more, lol.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back