User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please explain the Southern Drawl to me?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, It's like the people making up these rules have never heard a heavy southern accent.
    I heard Jeff Foxworthy say that before he was well known that he tried out for a movie. They told him to use a southern accent and so he did the audition. They stopped him and said "No use a real southern accent." He said, "I'm from Georgia, this is a real southern accent."

I listen to Howard Stern a lot and as much as I like him, he and almost everybody on his show is so ignorant about southern people. There is this image about the south that is so not true. I lived in Pa, Ky (near the IN. and Ill. state lines, so I don't consider that in the south.) and Ohio, and there are some differences, but not many and not ones you'd expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pronouncing an i as an e is correct in other European languages, but not in English. Although I don't remember bit being pronounced as beet when I lived in the south, I'm pretty sure more than a few people I knew could have turned it into two syllables.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had an example for you to hear, because once you actually hear it pronounced that way, it will be very clear to you. Maybe once my computer stops being broken, I will find try and find/make a recording of it. It sounds closer to, "bi-yit" then the harsh sound of "beet."

In regards to 'standard' English and accents, everybody, and that is EVERYBODY speaks with some accent or another. There are just certain accents and dialects that are negatively stigmatized, hence people try to change their accent or dialect to a less stigmatized one. An unstigmatized dialect is also called "prestige." These prestige dialects are often what is spoken by the social class that has the most money, influence, power, etc. The idea of a 'proper' way to speak in America has arisen also through the media, as they try to speak a very bland standard English.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an unfortunate stigma for the southern accent. I can personally attest that my parents think of anyone with a southern accent as less intelligent simply because of the way they talk. My father in particular has little good to say about southern folk. But who cares what those people think about you because of as something stupid and irrelevant as that? Sounds like you might be worrying too much about being judged.

Speaking of accents, I was born in new york and had a thick new york accent, but when we moved to the plains when young I was put in speech therapy for my perceived "speech impediment". I want it back, its is a testament of where I came from. I think you shouldn’t care about the people who let their biases get in the way. Just because someone thinks its an impediment doesn’t mean you should talk like them.
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can affect opportunities in life, Finch.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if you let it.

I am proud to be from the south and I'm proud of the way I talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People with southern accents have been running the US for much of my life, so I think the days of widespread stigma are long gone. On the other hand, maybe the original opinion was correct, given what's become of our country during that time. Or maybe it's the rest of who are the idiots for letting their politicians become our politicians.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's pretty ignorant to think that it's always appropriate to present yourself in an original form. That's not how life works -period-, half the time life doesn't care who you are and that's how its going to be. There's always hoops to jump through at times, and you need to be prepared to do so when its time.

I'm proud that I wear casual clothing, my hair isn't done half the time, and that there probably paint on all of my jeans. But should I go a job interview looking like that? It's me after all! Sometimes being -me- is disrespectful for the thing I'm trying to do. There's just things that sometimes demand you do something different and I feel language is the same way.

And side note, I'm not proud to have Bush as a president for this very reason. Watching him go into every speech and mangle language is so painful to watch. When it comes time to say a foreign word, omg look out.

A few good Bush quotes:
    "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" --Florence, South Carolina, Jan. 11, 2000

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on --shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again." --Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." --Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast