What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Like Pulling Hen's Teeth

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Funny thing about the forums and Email and work. CPUK has a Save feature. Terraforums does not. And of course Email has a Drafts folder. But.... when at Home Depot I have no access Email at all, but can check the discussion forums. In contrast, at the lab job I can check Email all I want but not the discussion forums. I really don't know why they draw different conclusions about what is okay, but they do. So when in Rome,.... Complicating things a bit is that the Home Depot computers have some sort of filter such that they log me out on Terraforums every 3 or so changes of windows. So I have to abndon that window and re-log back in, in a new window. That's annoying and time consuming! I have to save everything before changing windows so I don't lose it. That doesn't happen when I use CPUK. I don't know why. Their pc's are also archaic. I have to save by doing CTRL C and past by CTRL V. There is no dropdown arrow to go back to a previous page, either, and if you have a site that doesn't have a Go Back option, you have to open up a new page. When at home, my wife is reluctant to let me use the computer, partially because she says I am on the computer too much and because she uses her laptop for the online tutoring and if something breaks down, she can't do her job. If I go to the library, I am subject to their days and hours of availability. They also lockup if you look at them funny. Nothing is easy!

wow- all that sounds like alot of hassle! basically each company has their own idea of what needs to be not allowed. and a lot of times, that is whatever the current head of IT thinks... As far as terraforums doesn't have a save feature, what are you talking about? for pms? You can save your pms in 3 different formats... XML, CSV, or Text That's at the bottom of your PMs page.
Andrew

I've never noticed a Save folder. I didn't find a feature that allows one to save the PM to work on it later. All I saw was an option to save a sent message.

You can create your own folders here and move stuff where ever you want within them... In your pms.. on the left pick "edit folders" then add all the new folders you want.. call one saved or whatever you're looking for... then save folders. then you can move stuff around however you want. then if you wish to clear your PM box, but save your pms... From your main PM window, all the way down below the page number jump.. you'll see the option to "Download all Private Messages as:" and the 3 ways you can do that... As far as saving a pm to work on it later... Nope, there isn't one. You could PM it to yourself and copy paste it to a new PM later on maybe ??? lol
Does that help?
Andrew

LOL! I'll just stick with the other 2 ways to save them. The old format used to have a notepad.

can you bring a laptop to work?
might be worth it to buy yourself your own laptop and you could use it at home too.

...The old format used to have a notepad.

Yep, that is one thing that the other software had that this one doesn't. but I'll take the hundreds of features this one has over the notepad :-)) There is talk at Vbulletin to add a notepad though, I don't know at what upgrade it will happen...
Andrew

LOL! A lot of the "bells and whistles" get wasted on me, being terribly pc unsophisticated. And since I am not a real typist, the kids ran circles around me when I was using IM. So the notepad was my friend. I'll survive... although I could use a stenographer!

Like Pulling Hen's Teeth

In that it's possible, but only with knowledge of developmental biology and the right mutant?

Yep, there are hens with teeth now, though they cannot survive until hatching. Even cooler, the teeth are identical to those of theropod dinosaurs, the ancestors of birds.

Mokele

Oh, well.. you can use the windows notepad by going to the start menu, select "run" when the prompt comes up, type notepad and press enter. but that won't help you computer to computer.... I'll try to find a notepad add on :)

See the new feature thread :)

Andrew

can you bring a laptop to work?
might be worth it to buy yourself your own laptop and you could use it at home too.

The only laptop I have... isn't mine. It's my wife's... and she needs it to do the online tutoring thing.

Back