User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody want to try an experiment?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's a risky experiment. In the next couple of weeks, the cp's here will be covered in it, including my own bog. I'll try to get pics of my pinetree sperm covered bog.

I was thinking that it could act as a fertilizer that is safe for cp's, or since pine seems to be acidic, it could help maintain the high ph level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another important thing is protein. Pollen is loaded with protein, and a lot of insects eat it. Bees clean it off their pollen thingies and eat it. They also say that's one of the benefits of eating flowers in survival situations. Protein means nitrogen. Since CPs have an ability of absorption which other plants don't, I imagine being able to "eat" pollen just like N. ampullaria "eats" leaf debris would give a competitive advantage. However, we'd need to know if CP enzymes/bacterial action could break the pollen down. Pollen would break down on the ground by bacterial action, too, but that process seems like it'd take longer to release nitrogen to weeds and other "normal" plants because it isn't right directly on the plant. CPs might likely get to it first.

I imagine that in large amounts it would make a nutritional difference. Probably not a whole lot, but a nice benefit to having constantly open pitchers and mucus glands (I imagine Drosera would be the best at catching pollen because they've got more surface area to collect on and are sticky). We could even add an experiment where we use a set amount of pollen and figure out some way to expose each kind of plant to it (i.e. a glass box with a fan or something), and then measure how much pollen falls to the ground rather than remains stuck on the plant. But pine pollen in particular I wouldn't see as being much different from any other wind-carried pollen. I also don't know, tree for tree, what species of tree produces the most pollen. In that case something producing more pollen might benefit CPs more than other trees.

And like JLAP said, in the southeast pollen typically doesn't get to sit on CPs too long before rain washes it off, and I'm not sure it'd make a noticeable photosynthetic difference.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always remark of the fact that tree sperm is flying everywhere...it's inescapable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to those people with horrible allergies: guess what you're sputtering and choking and runny-nosing on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agentrdy View Post
    I imagine that in large amounts it would make a nutritional difference.
    There's a current, somewhat-related thread over here. Although its primary topic is Heli's, the nutritional aspect is similar. My link is to a page where Herr Fleischmann pretty-much settles the 'debate' with 2 information-filled posts. However, the thread is also interesting to read from the beginning as it shows some interesting inter-personal dynamics at work.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, nothing like nerds duking it out over scientific principles of peat bog ecology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12