What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the WHATS YOUR JOB? thread

hey we have let us see you and introduce yourself threads i thought it would be nice to have a "Whats your job?" thread.
Just give a few details like what you do at your work and whether or not you enjoy your job.
I"ll start
I'm 15 I mow lawns when I can and I do other jobs when I get the chance,I plan to own a nursery and I want to daytrade.

I have done some things worked at one of the worlds largest(almost largest /most amount of species) native Hawaiian plants garden.. I liked that she would give me like $50 then for a week(on and off ) later another payment.. I have done some other things like I worked with my dad and get payed well. I want to work at the local garden center(the guy is very knowledgeable and nice or the large koi and water garden store.
\That would be a now job I want to do a CAD based job,Maya modeling or something there or something horticulture.

right now im not working....however im on an educational leave. i work as a cashier/bagger for Kroger...which is a grocery story for those who may not know. easy work. good pay and lots of great co workers. i like it...but i could do better.

Alex

im a network administrator working for myself slowly building up my own small company. so far everything is good, could use more hours but cant complain since the hours i do get is usually enough.

~b

Gilder thats what I'd liek a small job to pay for hobbies and add to savings :)
I have an idea for a low starting cost thing to sell to the health food stores :D
I'll make a thread if it does well.

Terd Herder. Nuff said. :glare:

Gilder thats what I'd liek a small job to pay for hobbies and add to savings :)
I have an idea for a low starting cost thing to sell to the health food stores :D
I'll make a thread if it does well.
sounds great.

By day I work at Northern Illinois University, managing web programmers.

By night / weekend and whenever else it feels like it, I'm a local landlord.
Anyone looking for an apartment? 8)

I mowed the lawn for an apartment complex I got really good money for a kid like 30$ for a tiny yard,I did a good job but then they got some tenants and I was out of job.

I did alota hand mowing like at one of our houses like 2 acreas of lawn on a pushmower :D I could do that but in hillbiliy ville (my neighbor hood )
no one has a "nice" lawn that they would want me to take care off.
I have gotten lawns started like one ontop of gravel it is very lush now :D
I used top soil fertilizer,lots of irragation,seed more fertilizer then seed so in 6 months a nice lawn ...
My idea is alfalfa sprouts since there easy like in one week you got sprouts,you need quart jars,screened lids,growlights,good water and the seed . 6 bucks a pound 8 table spoons(do not quote me most likely less seed) = a qaurt jar full slightly packed of sprouts so it is profitable and best of all the farmers market has alota people. So $4 a quart for spouts and there a profit and a good one.
I have been making alot of spouts the longer they grow the more mild they get so I am good at doing it jsut a scale up and I'm set.

I work in a lab. I experiment a lot. :0o: :evil: I also work at Home Depot as a cashier. I like to take money and working with people. :-O

Work on a local organic farm. Hands on heavy labor kinda job but the pay is nice. Benefits include staying in shape, a tan, wild wineberries, and the few vegetables that don't make the market cut! The people are great to work with and I definitely learned a lot my first year. Great experience.

-J.P.

I work at Osborne Industires in Osborne, Kansas.

http://www.osborne-ind.com/

I mold cherry picking buckets for the ends of truck booms. Fiberglass and molded resin.

Presently, I do tech support for staff and faculty at my college. I also work in the parking office, doing data entry for parking tickets and ticket appeals (I'm sometimes addressed as, "Dear Parking Nazi.") Recently, I had a job catering on campus and dishwashing/bussing at a nearby restaurant, but spontaneously falling asleep makes handling food kind of dangerous, so I had to quit those. I'm 22. (And, sadly, I had a better income when I was 17.)
~Joe

I am a firefighter. Been doing it for 5 years now and I love it. Best job that I have ever had. Only work 10 days a month too so it leaves a lot of time for cps and other things!! I don't see how a lot of you guys have time for a hobby since quite a few of you mentioned that you have more than one job!

I'm the Coordinator for Residence Life at the home campus of a small university in Kansas City, MO. I basically oversee the day-to-day operations of the university's housing and plan long term for the growth and development of both residence life and the student population. It's a busy, but rewarding job.

xvart.

i did serve food at my family's restraunt but no pay if that counts:0o:

I work at a data service company, they print personalized bank statements, 401K summaries, hospital bills, etc. then my department inserts them into envelopes on these big bell & howell inserter machines. It's boring and it's 12 hour shifts (I start at 4 pm and work til 4 am) but it's only busy all day on the business quarter end months (Jan, April, July, Oct) otherwise it's just a few jobs a night, usually between 1000-10,000 pieces filtering up from the print room so I spend a lot of time reading or writing/drawing or just going home early to get on with my hobbies.

The pay is better than I've ever made before and I only gotta work 2 days on, 2 off, 2 on 2 off... so I'm never there long enough for it to suck real bad like the other jobs I've had where you work 5 days a week. I've been at this outfit for six years and it's been pretty fine. The "worst part" is having to work every other weekend due to the on off schedule but I don't go to weekend parties anymore so it's only a psychological thing of "having to work the weekends" I'm not really missing out on anything.

I'm definately ruined by this place if I had to work at a fast paced mail room like the ones I used to work at when I was a youngster, I'm only 32 but too old and slow for all that palletizing catalogs and running around bagging junk mail anymore! :)

I work in the shipping/receiving department(aka warehouse) of a small oil-tool wholesale company. The benefits for part-time rock! (paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sickdays, and $2000 a semester for good-enough grades). But that's pretty much the only thing keeping me there. Been there for 3 years this week.

Basically, we receive stuff(gauges, thermometers, clamps, things like that) in bulk, stock it(or non-stock it if its specialized), then ship it out. We also do grunt labor(putting up heavy things for the ladies, changing lightbulbs, etc.).

It's good work, but its not really my thing.

I'll be ready for a change before too long here.

I work in digital R&D at Kodak.
making your pictures look better! :)

Scot

Back