Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy New Zealand LFS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found Mosser Lee around here and it is clearly what's left after the good stuff is gone; either below where a layer of living sphagnum had been removed or around the edges where upland species are mixed in.

As for "sustainable harvesting methods" in NZ and, possibly Chile, forgive me for being skeptical, but I am. The word sustainable means something different to different people and usually something very different when said by a business. Based on my experience with Departments of Conservation, both on the inside and on the outside, there's little reason to believe that they're watching that closely. But I hope it's true this time.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here is where I read that sphagnum from Chile is difficult to start. Zero, I don't mean to dispute your luck with Chilian LFS, Jeff may know what he's talking about, LOL, and maybe not, but I'm trying some anyway.
    Here is the brand, etc, fresh from Lowes. I 'milled' it by rubbing it together in my hands until it was a medium concistancy. I hope that released some spores.

Note "Product of Chile" above the bar code.

Anyone have an oz. or 2 of New Zealand LFS I could get to try and grow next to the Chile LFS? If the spores germinate, I'll return some live New Zealand LFS.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is a great great product. I use a cheaper one from better gro. The one you bought will last longer. This is chilean Sphagnum moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I use. As for its growability, I find that there's little to no life left by the time I get to the end of a bag and, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I had a bag once that nothing grew from. Maybe the spores' life expectancy is the problem, not the nation of origin (or, more likely, treatment during packaging).
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I always get that Mosser Lee stuff because it's what the place I go to has. I'll check Lowes or Home Depot to see what they might have. What is easiest to get gowing? Is the NZ or Chillie stuff that yellowish/light brown stuff that always looks different and better then the Mosser Lee that looks just dark brown and never grows for me? What about the saw dust stuff that is usually next to the Mosser Lee LFS, would that be good to try to get to grown?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small batch of live NZ moss in propagation.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long has it been propagating, and do you have any green plant yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pics of live moss grown from Better Gro orchid moss.
    I didn't want this to grow but it did and choked out some nep seedlings.
    Expect some weeds to grow also.

peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast