Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to buy New Zealand LFS?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you people can snivel all you want about the Mosser Lee stuff. I'd say 60% of the pots that I used the bottom of bag dust as a germination bed sprouted live Sphagnum. One of the cups I have Drosera anglica "Hawaii" in even sprouted red Sphagnum.

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Zero and NaN, that's encouraging from both of you. I've been using Mosser Lee, since it's about 1/2 the price of the Better Gro. But I have to say that the quality of the Better Gro is superior ... (sorry NaN). I hope I have as much luck with Sphagnum germination as you guys have had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That carpet of moss looks real nice. I've had some d.rotundifolia pop up out of nowhere from the Mosser Lee LFS so that's good. I did have a pot where some just took off and choked a heli but I'm not sure if that's Mosser Lee or from someone else(I just took some I saw and potted it up). Well I have some Mosser Lee left so I'll go find some NZ and try them both out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about Mosser Lee was that it did make a nice fast draining, open highland nep substrate with all the twigs, root clumps, rocks, etc. in it. I didn't need to add orchid bark or anything to help with drainage. I just didn't like that it didn't grow sphagnum (for me). I guess my idea is if i'm gonna buy LFS I want the "good s---" and the shops around here don't carry it anymore anyway. I did top the Neps potted with ML with the fine ground blonde stuff and got the best of both worlds.

I think most sphagnum moss will grow extra stuff, sometimes the ferns and other plants that pop up are neat and worth keeping, other times it's just weeds and long grasses. Snatch the grasses as they appear cos once they become a nice clump with a big rootsystem they're hard to get rid of without uprooting and repotting your plants. At first I thought I could just cut it off at soil level and it'd die off, not so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Chilean Spaghnum just started growing (put a layer of dead spaghnum in one of those plastic seed growing mini terrariums) and sprouted small lfs on a few spots in there (just after 2 weeks)
    How long did it take to reach that size zero?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 months to grow in like that.
    peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mosser Lee moss grew last year and it's still going strong around my Purp. I'm working with the Chilean stuff this season, though.

Keeping everything super-moist is key.
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123