Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy New Zealand LFS?

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to buy New Zealand LFS?

I found it here. Anyone delt with this outfit or want to recomend a supplier?
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you need and have you checked at Lowes? I get a little bag there every couple years. Try to go easy on the stuff, by the way. It's a nonrenewable resource at the pace it's being used and that's why we have to look to places like NZ or Chile to find the good stuff. The good stuff used to be here too but, other than for the tiny fraction that's protected now, it's gone.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those prices seem average, really don't see it much cheaper. Just about any garden center should sell it, at least in MN every place has it, now I don't mean walmarts garden center but a real one like Bachmanns, Waldons and anyplace that sells orchids or even stuff to make hanging baskets ought to have it since people use it to line their hanging pansy baskets.
    Don't forget you can grow your own with a jiffy seedling tray (with the clear greenhouse lid cover to retain humidity) just crumble a few handfuls of dried stuff into a powder make about a 1" layer and keep it well misted in a western or eastern window (direct sun will brown it and it doesn't grow well) and you'll have a tray of live stuff to use in a couple months, if you crop it judiciously (and replace snatched clumps with ground up dried stuff) you can keep it going real easy and indefinately.

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, guys. I've looked at Lowes and they have LFS from Chile, but not the New Zealand variety. From what I've read, the Chilian variety is nearly impossable to get started growing.
    Swords, I intend to try to get some (New Zealand) growing. I have some growing now, but I have no clue as to the variety. I got it from a seller on the auction site.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chilian LFS is easy to get growing. I get mine at home depot.
    I also have New Zealand Sphagnum I got off ebay cheap.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blond stuff at Lowes will grow, whatever its nationality.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never found any nation of origin on any of the packages of sphagnum I've boughten the one exception was the old Mosser Lee brand of sphagnum from Wisconsin (also farmed in Wisconsin). But that stuff was crummy, rarely did sphagnum moss grow from it, but lots of other weeds and stuff did. I don't belive ML is stilll in business, at least, I haven't seen it for sale in many years now so you should be safe with any of the current brands out there.

I think the key to getting it growing (no matter the origin) is to shred it so the spores are released from the "heads" of the sphagnum ropes, anytime I've just wet it and threw it in a tray or terrarium as a substrate, it just grew algae, forest "cap" moss and ferns. Grind two handfuls of compressed dried sphagnum together (wear a dust mask or use your tee shirt pulled up over your nose and mouth as a mask while you grind), you'll make a finer sphagnum powder that way than wetting it and then trying to chop it with sciscors - doing it that way also makes it easy to cut yourself - which I've done!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand enforces sustainable harvesting methods for Sphagnum moss. As reportedly does Chile (unconfirmed).

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=111537
    Note: New Zealand Sphagnum moss is a renewably harvested option for those who are concerned about the detrimental effects of removing sphagnum moss. New Zealand moss harvesting is closely watched by the Department of Conservation and is done on a three year basis so there is always enough left to regenerate new growth.

The batch of Chliean stuff I have sprouts readily with some moss other than Sphagnum. It looks like Sphagnum in the very early stages of growth but does not form the characteristic fluffy"cauliflower" head and "whisker/antlers" of Sphagnum.

Mosser Lee is still in business. Their stuff tends to fly off the shelves as soon as it is put up.

http://mosserlee.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast