What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Around the House...whats up?

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
on the topic of "where'd they go?"...

whats up with Joel's sight (nepenthesaroundthehouse.com)? It hasn't been updated in what...5 months? Is he ok? Whats up?

Thanks!
Frankie

He's alive and kickin so far as I can tell... he's active on pitcher plants forum. I saw a post from him yesterday.

oh. is the website ok?

It's winter, which is actually kinda cool in california. Plus its really cold in other parts of the country so shipping plants isn't the best idea.

Yeah, i live in CA! :)

But he usually updates evry other month or so...i dunno maybe he's just being lazy! :D

Where is the website owner's collection located? Nowhere on the website does he/she mention where exactly are his Nepenthes growing.

Has it been updated in 4 years?

Where is the website owner's collection located? Nowhere on the website does he/she mention where exactly are his Nepenthes growing.

Has it been updated in 4 years?

I've heard that he lives in California.

I'm wondering where specifically because SF and LA are two very different climate regions.

He describes his climate as suitable for highland Nepenthes, and I honestly can't think of anywhere in the US that is, whether in California or not.

He describes his climate as suitable for highland Nepenthes, and I honestly can't think of anywhere in the US that is, whether in California or not.

Northern California, with its warm to hot days and significantly cooler nights, certainly fit that bill. I have plenty of highlanders which thrive outside here . . .

Northern California, with its warm to hot days and significantly cooler nights, certainly fit that bill. I have plenty of highlanders which thrive outside here . . .

Even during the winter?

Even during the winter?

Yes, at least near the coast. I just protect them from the occasional frost; and they more than tolerate the lower daytime temps . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for the link corky. Judging by the store he visited, it seems he does live (at least near) the bay area. He also apparently visited that forum just 3 days ago, but hasn't posted in more than a year. That talk about needing to protect Nepenthes from a cold spell scares me!

I have to say though, Joel's website was the main driver for me to shake off the "Nepenthes are hard" stigma and become more adventurous with the plants. I'm really glad it exists and hope he's willing and able to participate in the community more in the future.

Back