What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a good computer?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free
Funny, that's the computer I'm typing on now. I bought it last August and the hard drive crashed two weeks ago. Dell sent me a refurbished one that I installed today, seems to be working well (knock on wood). Just to let you know. Oh and Vista sucks.

Thats seems good :D Only thing better is quad core thats it really for the CPU.
I was considering getting a super comp for Maya but I am not like take courses for Maya or a digital arts school.
Screw macs :D Get Ubuntu installed try it out on your current comp see if you like it :) It is very easy and is a stable Linux that is mac like . I'm using Ubuntu right now :D I hate vista too my moms computer is evil Now I am happy with a Pentium 4 for the desktop,but my laptop is a dou 1.6 ghz that is good for now besides I am going to blow some money on a tank setup.

This is a really long thread and to be honest I didn't read everyones input, but my suggestion is this: When I went through college I did just fine with a PC and not a laptop. Laptops are overpriced, and underperformers. I just bought a new comp a couple weeks ago for 1050$ and built it myself. I am the furthest thing from a computer whiz, but if you can read, you too can build a computer. I ordered all my parts through newegg.com and the comp is smoking fast. I have a quad core processor rated at 2.4 ghz, but it is overclocked to 3.0ghz running at super low temperatures and extremely stable on a gigabyte motherboard. I have overclocked it to 3.4 ghz with no problem. 4 cores at this speed is ludicrous though. I got a ATI Radeon 3850 HD and it runs all the newest games at full res flawlessly, and it hasn't even been overclocked. I have 2 gigs of ram at 1066Mhz, and a 500Gb SATA2 HD. I really don't like Dell... I was going to order from them but their options are way too limited and you end up paying way too much for useless options. Also, IMO Windows Vista (which is standard with most dell configs) is absolutely useless. Its the windows 2000 equivalent, which no one uses.

Anyway, I would order a comp off of newegg and build it yourself. If you need an OS and MSOffice I can hook u up with corporate copies (which u can legally have hundreds of copies of). My comp is super fast, super quiet, and everything came to my doorstop in under 3 days. I have all the software you could ever need, and the ram (which is 2 GB under your config) will outperform the 4 GB of 667 in that laptop. With the money you save on this config, you can even get a 24" sweet *** monitor as well, or just a normal-sized LCD for school work. Either way, I would strongly advise against a laptop, unless you want to be one of those Starbucks laptop users lol ;).

Again, I did not read all the posts, I just threw in my 2 cents... If you want a laptop then you are limited in your options. If not, I would go through Newegg, as they have some of the best customer service and return options/warranties there are. I couldn't be happier with my comp configuration, and there is plenty of room for upgrades too (like running crossfire gfx cards).

Daniel

Vista is crap it is XP in a cover your butt security addition :D
I agree laptops are cool but there expensive and they are low power but I needed it for my homework that was on my computer.

Well, I can clearly see that everyone has an entirely different opinion lmao.

I AM set on a laptop. I want to be in my dorm as little as possible, and I don't want to be constrained to a desk. I guess I'll be one of those Starbucks laptop users hehehe.

I'm definitely probably going to get MS Office since I'll probably need that. I'll also really have to look into Lo-Jack, that sounds useful. A

Aren't macs, although sexier, more expensive? Like.... to get the same specs as above, wouldn't I have to pay more (at at least the full two grand...) for it to be in mac form? I do like macs. Shexy. As soon as I saw the firt Macbook Air commercial, I looked at my mother, opened my mouth halfway and she immediately said "No way, you'll drop it in a second" so that's that hehehe. EDIT:...Yes. Yes they are much more expensive.... MUCH more, so screw that. Something tells me the extra expense is for the Apple name and logo, and the hip image that goes along with it. Like those Mac Vs. PC. ads. While Justin Long is totally hot, I'm afraid I can't get a mac for that reason alone. Unless he personally delivered it :) What? Oh sorry. Just woke up. Must still be in REM :p

It wouldn't be me if I didn't put in my 2-cents for a Mac. :)

Go Mac, you'll never go back. lol

I bought a high-end laptop for uni aswell in october (didn't check all your stats but most are identical) and seriously, you don't need all that power. It gets hot, fan has to cool more. If I could turn back I would've gone with a "normal" specced laptop with just a few minor adjustments (bigger hard drive for instance)

I guess I'll be one of those Starbucks laptop users hehehe.

Man you are soooo ........ Oh right never mind. :blush:

Spec for spec, I think macs are still cheaper than PCs. When you compare something like the macbook air to a dell though, you're comparing two very different laptops. Anyway, dell wouldn't be the worst decision you could make, especially if your clumsy and will drop it (as your mom said of the macbook air). Dell has a pretty good warranty system and accident warranties too. Either way, this notebook will not last 10 years without being rendered obsolete. No notebook or PC will for that matter, but at least a PC will last much longer.

Daniel

Macs cost more for power.
MY mom said I'd drop mine too I have had it for like 1.5 yeasr and only dropped in its case once.

To tell you the truth, I have been using just my desktop at college. For some classes, you really don't need a laptop (there are course readers you have to buy that have ALL of the notes in them, for instance). 4 out of 6 of the classes I've taken this year (granted, I am in the sciences, which is a lot of math) I could not have used a laptop in.

This debate can go on forever...

Hmm.... Still don't think you understand lol. I will need a computer in college. Even if I was not going to college, I would still need a computer. I don't like to be constrained to a desk if I don't have to. That is why I am buying a laptop.

Someone recommended a tablet PC to me, but I've got a feeling that the screen will break easily. So does my mother lmao. Any thoughts?

With the XPS, an upgrade from the standard processor is 75 bucks for BOTH Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)

and

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)

Which is better, and what's the difference? I don't know what those numbers mean.

To the person who said I don't need all this, well I probably don't, but the truth is that I don't want to be in a position where I would need it, but don't. I may decide to buy a demanding game that looks totally awesome and I just HAVE to have it, but I would kick myself for not getting the upgrades.

I still think you should just go for that Dell.

One thing I'd ask about is if there's any way to get XP rather than Vista. I know lots of people who have Vista, and the resounding consensus involves the desire to anally violate Bill Gates with the sharp end of a broken beer bottle.
Well said. Almost everyone I know who has the new Microsoft bloatware has regretted it and most have switched to XP. Get it from Dell that way from the start & save yourself the hassle...

... or get a Mac. Rare to find an unhappy Mac user ....

What? Lol, I thought you were just trying to talk me out of getting a laptop...

I wish dandy would post. He knows a lot about computer stuff.

It's OK JLAP, if they know I suggested the tablet. Here is the link, if anyone is intrested. It's a $500 off HP Coupon.

...and I
LOVE
VISTA
ULTIMATE

Vista is evil :D I love laptops there portable,small and you can go on the couch and go to TF :D

As I said in a previous post, and in consensus with everyone else, VISTA SUCKS. However, with dell, you are almost bound to this OS and you cannot substitute it for XP. The comp configurations under small business might let you still choose XP, however it is actually more expensive than Vista, probably because Microsoft is trying to push their junk (last I checked anyway). I would not get that HP tablet because it has a super tiny screen: 12". If you really think you may want to game later on, you will be extremely limited in your choices because laptop graphics cards are HUGE under-performers. You can still watch HD movies with either of the processor configurations on the laptop because movie rendering is mostly dependent on the processor and either of those will perform just fine, even with a poor video card. I'll try to configure a laptop configuration for you right now and send you the link of what I think will be good, and for a good price.

Dude, Clint, go for the original one. I read an article a year or so ago that talked about consumerism. Now that information is readily accessible and there are so many options (i.e. digital cameras) consumerism will almost always result in disappointment. I wish I could remember where I read it; but, we could obviously debate all day which is better and which is better. The one you originally wanted will work perfectly for you, and it sounds like you would get a good deal. In my opinion, that's all you need.

xvart.

I think I will get that one. I just found out Mass Effect WILL be on the PC. Will it run it?

I still need to know which processor to get. There are both 75 extra bucks.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)

or

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)

I don't know what that means :( Each one has a higher number and a lower number than the other.

Back