Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a good computer?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But will I be able to customize it to order? Will it come with the same warranty as above? Will I be able to get a two thousand dollar laptop for fifteen hundred? I mean... 600 dollars off is a lot, I think. It may even come with a free Blu-ray drive, I dunno. I can't imagine that website doing better than the Dell company, with all of the above.

I'd just feel more secure going through the company that makes them, over a place called slickdeals.net (I can imagine a guy with a trench coat and sunglasses selling silicon chips in a dark alley...) for my first laptop. I know I won't get ripped off lol, but I can't see how they can do better than what Dell is offering, for the same laptop. It looks like a good place to get accessories, though.

I should also note; I don't actually know what the above specifics mean lol.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The laptop I'm typing on now is a Dell, and could function easily for a college student's main CPU and it isn't even high end.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    But will I be able to customize it to order? Will it come with the same warranty as above? Will I be able to get a two thousand dollar laptop for fifteen hundred? I mean... 600 dollars off is a lot, I think. It may even come with a free Blu-ray drive, I dunno. I can't imagine that website doing better than the Dell company, with all of the above.

I'd just feel more secure going through the company that makes them, over a place called slickdeals.net (I can imagine a guy with a trench coat and sunglasses selling silicon chips in a dark alley...) for my first laptop. I know I won't get ripped off lol, but I can't see how they can do better than what Dell is offering, for the same laptop. It looks like a good place to get accessories, though.

I should also note; I don't actually know what the above specifics mean lol.
    The answer is yes yes and yes. Slickdeals.net is not a vendor. It's a site where people post amazing deals they find on the net or in store. You'd be buying directly from Dell. It's just that Dell has specials and people find and post them on Slickdeals. I got (2) $1,000 Dells for roughly $500 each.

A quick search turns up this. It is now expired, these deals expire quick.

Dell EPP: Inspiron XPS m1530 Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, WiFi, nVidia 8600M GS, BlueTooth, Audigy HD Software, 3Yr Warranty, Vista Home Premium + $200 Dell GC $1191
    Last edited by larry; 03-16-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, that's a smokin laptop. And with the $600 off, you'll be hard pressed to find a better machine for the money. It's specs are similar to my HP. I've got the core 2 duo 7500 processor, 2gb of RAM, Vista Ultimate, and the finger print reader. That finger print reader is the best thing since sliced bread, at least on the HP's. I never remember a password any more, I just swipe my finger. You would really enjoy that laptop, ant it will be many years before it's outdated.
    Tom

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That DOES sound enticing, but there's a caveat. I'd have to wait for a chance that a better deal may come up by the time I go to college this fall, and if I do wait, the current deal Dell is offering will have expired, so if nothing better comes up, I'd be screwed and would have to buy a computer last minute, without any cool deals (worst scenario) or weaker deals than what is currently being offered ( best scenario).

It's sort of not worth it, you know? If I had no deadline, that would be the best option, but unfortunately I do. I feel I have to get it while the getting is good. Sort of like EP hybrids

Tom, that's what I was hoping! I would, ideally, like this laptop to last 10 years before being rendered obsolete. Can you imagine the changes in computers from 1998? I can't imagine what will happen 10 years from now. The fingerprint reader would make me feel so futuristic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to keep in mind, Dell and Apple usually give a discount to students through universities, so you may want to contact your future college and see if they offer that deal and if so what it usually entails.

Now as for the laptop, to be honest if you arent looking for one that will handle gaming get a mac. I have never actully owned a mac but for a laptop if I could turn my HP crap back in and get my money back I would use it for a mac in a heart beat. The next laptop I buy will be a mac, I only use my laptop for school and watching DVD's, ect. no gaming I use my desktop and I have learned that I would be much better off with a mac.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, not only can I imagine it, at the school districe I work in, we're still phasing out desktops that are from '98. Some of them even have a 'Y2K Compliant' sticker on them. While we have upgraded them, they came with Windows 95, 32mb RAM (we've bumped up to 256) and a whoping 3.2 GB hard drive. Oh yes, a Pentium 3 450 Mhz processor. They litterly take about 8 minutes from power on to connection to the internet. I work on them regularly in my tech possition.
    Back to the Dell, just between you and me, the 1330 model is more portable. You'll be glad you're not carrying the extra 2 pounds from class to class.
    But as far as waiting for a better deal, I seriously doubt that will happen, especially with the XPS models.
    Tom

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially if you aren't very computer savvy, I would go with a mac.

They tend to be less technical and better built than windows laptops. Plus, with the new macbook air out, the prices of macbooks and macbook pros will probably drop.

If I were to spend $1000+ on a laptop, it would probably be on a mac.
    Good points, ktulu! I totally agree.

If you are set on that XPS, though, I would pull the trigger. You will be happy and will save a lot of time on something that doesn't need to be complex. I mean, it's a great deal.
    Last edited by Nitecrawler; 03-16-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: idk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast