Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a good computer?

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    Something to keep in mind, Dell and Apple usually give a discount to students through universities, so you may want to contact your future college and see if they offer that deal and if so what it usually entails.

Now as for the laptop, to be honest if you arent looking for one that will handle gaming get a mac. I have never actully owned a mac but for a laptop if I could turn my HP crap back in and get my money back I would use it for a mac in a heart beat. The next laptop I buy will be a mac, I only use my laptop for school and watching DVD's, ect. no gaming I use my desktop and I have learned that I would be much better off with a mac.
    ktulu, I've never owned a Mac either, but having to support 192 G4 iBooks in 2 middle schools, I can guarentee you I never will own one either. Since they incorporated the Intel processors, they are much improved, but the G4 laptops we got are serious boat ancors.
    As for the educational discount, it's generally 5% off the retail price and can not be combined with other offers.
    My 2 cents.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jlap,

a couple of things worth mentioning since you say that you want it to last for a while. mind you that i am probably pickier than most but i understand the cost restraint.

1. windows vista home
    you lose alot of networking capabilities with all home edition of windows.
    2. slot-load cd/dvd burner
    i recommend asking if they have an optional dual-layer dvd burner, though it sounds excessive you'd be surprised at the size of what you want to burn sometimes, ie., digitizing old family videos.
    3. Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card
    i think they have a wireless 802.11a/b/g/n(a is old, not necessary) option, but n being newest and comes in most new notebook computers.

ive used windows based machines all my life but last year i got my first mac(macbook) and i consider it the best computer ive ever owned.

~b

-check techbargains.com, they have lots of deals. also, if you are a student, you can call dell and make them give you all sorts of discounts...i remember calling them for my girlfriend and she ended up saving about $500 and also got like a 4 year gold warranty or something.
    Last edited by billylh; 03-16-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ktulu's right; you should be able to check the school's IS site to see if they have a standing discount with anyone. That's how I got my current machine, also a Dell, with roughly similar specs for a roughly similar price.

One thing I'd ask about is if there's any way to get XP rather than Vista. I know lots of people who have Vista, and the resounding consensus involves the desire to anally violate Bill Gates with the sharp end of a broken beer bottle.

You may also want to spring for two things, in a college setting:
    MS Office - I use word, excel, and powerpoint more than any other programs on my machine. Profs ask for things in those file formats. It's cheaper if it comes with the machine (or if you pirate it).
    Lo-Jack for Laptops - laptop theft is epidemic in colleges, even nice ones. Dell offered me this when I got my machine, and it's worth it. Supposedly the program hides on your drive and if you report it stolen, it can send the physical location of the computer to the cops over wireless. I'm not 100% sure I believe it, but I also thing for $60 it's worth it.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should still be able to get XP as an option. You might even save a few more bucks. When I got my laptop from Dell there was the option or XP or Vista. I'm sure though, that soon enough you will only be able to get Vista. XP is so much better; except it doesn't come with that chess game. All the games that come with XP and Vista are much worse on Vista (hearts, solitaire, minesweeper, etc.) - not that you should base your computer decisions on the crappy games that come preinstalled, lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, that's the computer I'm typing on now. I bought it last August and the hard drive crashed two weeks ago. Dell sent me a refurbished one that I installed today, seems to be working well (knock on wood). Just to let you know. Oh and Vista sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats seems good Only thing better is quad core thats it really for the CPU.
    I was considering getting a super comp for Maya but I am not like take courses for Maya or a digital arts school.
    Screw macs Get Ubuntu installed try it out on your current comp see if you like it It is very easy and is a stable Linux that is mac like . I'm using Ubuntu right now I hate vista too my moms computer is evil Now I am happy with a Pentium 4 for the desktop,but my laptop is a dou 1.6 ghz that is good for now besides I am going to blow some money on a tank setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really long thread and to be honest I didn't read everyones input, but my suggestion is this: When I went through college I did just fine with a PC and not a laptop. Laptops are overpriced, and underperformers. I just bought a new comp a couple weeks ago for 1050$ and built it myself. I am the furthest thing from a computer whiz, but if you can read, you too can build a computer. I ordered all my parts through newegg.com and the comp is smoking fast. I have a quad core processor rated at 2.4 ghz, but it is overclocked to 3.0ghz running at super low temperatures and extremely stable on a gigabyte motherboard. I have overclocked it to 3.4 ghz with no problem. 4 cores at this speed is ludicrous though. I got a ATI Radeon 3850 HD and it runs all the newest games at full res flawlessly, and it hasn't even been overclocked. I have 2 gigs of ram at 1066Mhz, and a 500Gb SATA2 HD. I really don't like Dell... I was going to order from them but their options are way too limited and you end up paying way too much for useless options. Also, IMO Windows Vista (which is standard with most dell configs) is absolutely useless. Its the windows 2000 equivalent, which no one uses.

Anyway, I would order a comp off of newegg and build it yourself. If you need an OS and MSOffice I can hook u up with corporate copies (which u can legally have hundreds of copies of). My comp is super fast, super quiet, and everything came to my doorstop in under 3 days. I have all the software you could ever need, and the ram (which is 2 GB under your config) will outperform the 4 GB of 667 in that laptop. With the money you save on this config, you can even get a 24" sweet *** monitor as well, or just a normal-sized LCD for school work. Either way, I would strongly advise against a laptop, unless you want to be one of those Starbucks laptop users lol .

Again, I did not read all the posts, I just threw in my 2 cents... If you want a laptop then you are limited in your options. If not, I would go through Newegg, as they have some of the best customer service and return options/warranties there are. I couldn't be happier with my comp configuration, and there is plenty of room for upgrades too (like running crossfire gfx cards).

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista is crap it is XP in a cover your butt security addition
    I agree laptops are cool but there expensive and they are low power but I needed it for my homework that was on my computer.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast