What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a good computer?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
It's a Dell XPS M1530, Then in the description it says: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

Memory: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

LCD, Color and camera: High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera

Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Hard Drives: Speed: 200GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor

Software - Adobe: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1

Combo or DVD+RW Drive: Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

Sound Card: High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Networking Cards: Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card

Software - Antivirus: Trend Micro Internet Security 24-months

Primary Battery: 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Warranty & Service: 3Yr In-Home Service, Parts Labor, 24x7 Phone Support

Adobe: Adobe Photoshop + Premiere Elements

SECURITY: Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

Bluetooth and Wireless USB: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

Processor Branding: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Dell Printer Driver: Windows Vista™ Premium

DataSafe Online Backup: DataSafe Online Backup 20GB for 1 year

One thing I want is a comp that won't be obsolete anytime soon, yet affordable (not like six grand for someone's first laptop..... besides my mom is afraid I'll drop it hehe). I want a fast computer. I don't need to download movies in seconds, but I would like to surf the web without waiting and watch streaming video with good quality and no lag or pauses.

If I can convince my mom to buy it for me by April 3rd, I can get a $2,122 laptop for $1,523. She was planning on buying my laptop on tax free day, in which she'd save 150 if she bought me a $1,500 laptop, but THIS way, although she would still pay taxes on it, she'd STILL save $150 AND I'd get a $2,000 comp for the price of a $1,500 comp.

Looks good to me. What is "tax free day"?

xvart.

Good for what? What do you plan on doing with it?

It also says:

Required for Blu-ray drive Expires Saturday, August 23, 2008

And then on the right, where my bill is totaled ( for example, starts at $2,122, then 600 dollars is deducted if I order by April 3rd, than the new bill is $1,523) it has an added $0.00 in the bill. Does this mean if I order by 04/23/08 I get a free Blu-ray drive? Aren't these HELLA expensive?

I want it because I'm going to college. This won't be a computer that I just use on the go, it'll be my PC, with all my crap on it, and I'll use it for entertainment, research, word processing, homework, ETC. My current home PC is like... I guess 8 years old. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember it made Dandy laugh. Lots of loading, streaming media lags a lot, sometimes pauses, even with our DSL/Ethernet/whatever connection, HD videos (from ABC.com) are pixelated/blurred, and often stop playing completely because it's so slow.

TripleX, no sales tax :)

The specs are good. XPS is the gaming line of Dell, right?

Unfortunately I can't recommend Dells from what I've seen of others' laptops.
Of course I would expect that the problems that plague cheaper Dell laptops are somewhat eliminated here. Your best bet is to read reviews.

Too bad it's not feasible to assemble your own laptop...
Once that becomes an option, prices will go down so much.

They do sell XPS laptops for gaming
(Like M1530 Gaming Edition, M17530 and an M1530 that's World of Warcraft themed) but also a line of XPS that's not for gaming. I'm assuming they'll play most games fine, but are not specifically for gaming. I'll probably play ... Spore on it, and if they make another Black and White game, I'll get that, but I'm not much of a gamer. If those will go on my PS3, I'd probably get them on that platform, anyway :) Actually I think Spore will be.

If you want the best deals, I suggest you go to slickdeals.net Best site on the internet as far as I'm concerned. Keep an eye on the "Hot Deals" section, there's always some incredible deal on Dells and just about anything else you want to buy.

But will I be able to customize it to order? Will it come with the same warranty as above? Will I be able to get a two thousand dollar laptop for fifteen hundred? I mean... 600 dollars off is a lot, I think. It may even come with a free Blu-ray drive, I dunno. I can't imagine that website doing better than the Dell company, with all of the above.

I'd just feel more secure going through the company that makes them, over a place called slickdeals.net (I can imagine a guy with a trench coat and sunglasses selling silicon chips in a dark alley...) for my first laptop. I know I won't get ripped off lol, but I can't see how they can do better than what Dell is offering, for the same laptop. It looks like a good place to get accessories, though.

I should also note; I don't actually know what the above specifics mean lol.

The laptop I'm typing on now is a Dell, and could function easily for a college student's main CPU and it isn't even high end.

xvart.

But will I be able to customize it to order? Will it come with the same warranty as above? Will I be able to get a two thousand dollar laptop for fifteen hundred? I mean... 600 dollars off is a lot, I think. It may even come with a free Blu-ray drive, I dunno. I can't imagine that website doing better than the Dell company, with all of the above.

I'd just feel more secure going through the company that makes them, over a place called slickdeals.net (I can imagine a guy with a trench coat and sunglasses selling silicon chips in a dark alley...) for my first laptop. I know I won't get ripped off lol, but I can't see how they can do better than what Dell is offering, for the same laptop. It looks like a good place to get accessories, though.

I should also note; I don't actually know what the above specifics mean lol.

The answer is yes yes and yes. Slickdeals.net is not a vendor. It's a site where people post amazing deals they find on the net or in store. You'd be buying directly from Dell. It's just that Dell has specials and people find and post them on Slickdeals. I got (2) $1,000 Dells for roughly $500 each.

A quick search turns up this. It is now expired, these deals expire quick.

Dell EPP: Inspiron XPS m1530 Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, WiFi, nVidia 8600M GS, BlueTooth, Audigy HD Software, 3Yr Warranty, Vista Home Premium + $200 Dell GC $1191

Last edited:
JLAP, that's a smokin laptop. And with the $600 off, you'll be hard pressed to find a better machine for the money. It's specs are similar to my HP. I've got the core 2 duo 7500 processor, 2gb of RAM, Vista Ultimate, and the finger print reader. That finger print reader is the best thing since sliced bread, at least on the HP's. I never remember a password any more, I just swipe my finger. You would really enjoy that laptop, ant it will be many years before it's outdated.
Tom

That DOES sound enticing, but there's a caveat. I'd have to wait for a chance that a better deal may come up by the time I go to college this fall, and if I do wait, the current deal Dell is offering will have expired, so if nothing better comes up, I'd be screwed and would have to buy a computer last minute, without any cool deals (worst scenario) or weaker deals than what is currently being offered ( best scenario).

It's sort of not worth it, you know? If I had no deadline, that would be the best option, but unfortunately I do. I feel I have to get it while the getting is good. Sort of like EP hybrids :)

Tom, that's what I was hoping! I would, ideally, like this laptop to last 10 years before being rendered obsolete. Can you imagine the changes in computers from 1998? I can't imagine what will happen 10 years from now. The fingerprint reader would make me feel so futuristic :)

Something to keep in mind, Dell and Apple usually give a discount to students through universities, so you may want to contact your future college and see if they offer that deal and if so what it usually entails.

Now as for the laptop, to be honest if you arent looking for one that will handle gaming get a mac. I have never actully owned a mac but for a laptop if I could turn my HP crap back in and get my money back I would use it for a mac in a heart beat. The next laptop I buy will be a mac, I only use my laptop for school and watching DVD's, ect. no gaming I use my desktop and I have learned that I would be much better off with a mac.

JLAP, not only can I imagine it, at the school districe I work in, we're still phasing out desktops that are from '98. Some of them even have a 'Y2K Compliant' sticker on them. While we have upgraded them, they came with Windows 95, 32mb RAM (we've bumped up to 256) and a whoping 3.2 GB hard drive. Oh yes, a Pentium 3 450 Mhz processor. They litterly take about 8 minutes from power on to connection to the internet. I work on them regularly in my tech possition.
Back to the Dell, just between you and me, the 1330 model is more portable. You'll be glad you're not carrying the extra 2 pounds from class to class.
But as far as waiting for a better deal, I seriously doubt that will happen, especially with the XPS models.
Tom

Especially if you aren't very computer savvy, I would go with a mac.

They tend to be less technical and better built than windows laptops. Plus, with the new macbook air out, the prices of macbooks and macbook pros will probably drop.

If I were to spend $1000+ on a laptop, it would probably be on a mac.
Good points, ktulu! I totally agree.

If you are set on that XPS, though, I would pull the trigger. You will be happy and will save a lot of time on something that doesn't need to be complex. I mean, it's a great deal.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind, Dell and Apple usually give a discount to students through universities, so you may want to contact your future college and see if they offer that deal and if so what it usually entails.

Now as for the laptop, to be honest if you arent looking for one that will handle gaming get a mac. I have never actully owned a mac but for a laptop if I could turn my HP crap back in and get my money back I would use it for a mac in a heart beat. The next laptop I buy will be a mac, I only use my laptop for school and watching DVD's, ect. no gaming I use my desktop and I have learned that I would be much better off with a mac.

ktulu, I've never owned a Mac either, but having to support 192 G4 iBooks in 2 middle schools, I can guarentee you I never will own one either. Since they incorporated the Intel processors, they are much improved, but the G4 laptops we got are serious boat ancors.
As for the educational discount, it's generally 5% off the retail price and can not be combined with other offers.
My 2 cents.
Tom

jlap,

a couple of things worth mentioning since you say that you want it to last for a while. mind you that i am probably pickier than most but i understand the cost restraint.

1. windows vista home
you lose alot of networking capabilities with all home edition of windows.
2. slot-load cd/dvd burner
i recommend asking if they have an optional dual-layer dvd burner, though it sounds excessive you'd be surprised at the size of what you want to burn sometimes, ie., digitizing old family videos.
3. Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card
i think they have a wireless 802.11a/b/g/n(a is old, not necessary) option, but n being newest and comes in most new notebook computers.

ive used windows based machines all my life but last year i got my first mac(macbook) and i consider it the best computer ive ever owned.

~b

-check techbargains.com, they have lots of deals. also, if you are a student, you can call dell and make them give you all sorts of discounts...i remember calling them for my girlfriend and she ended up saving about $500 and also got like a 4 year gold warranty or something.

Last edited:
Ktulu's right; you should be able to check the school's IS site to see if they have a standing discount with anyone. That's how I got my current machine, also a Dell, with roughly similar specs for a roughly similar price.

One thing I'd ask about is if there's any way to get XP rather than Vista. I know lots of people who have Vista, and the resounding consensus involves the desire to anally violate Bill Gates with the sharp end of a broken beer bottle.

You may also want to spring for two things, in a college setting:
MS Office - I use word, excel, and powerpoint more than any other programs on my machine. Profs ask for things in those file formats. It's cheaper if it comes with the machine (or if you pirate it).
Lo-Jack for Laptops - laptop theft is epidemic in colleges, even nice ones. Dell offered me this when I got my machine, and it's worth it. Supposedly the program hides on your drive and if you report it stolen, it can send the physical location of the computer to the cops over wireless. I'm not 100% sure I believe it, but I also thing for $60 it's worth it.

Mokele

I think you should still be able to get XP as an option. You might even save a few more bucks. When I got my laptop from Dell there was the option or XP or Vista. I'm sure though, that soon enough you will only be able to get Vista. XP is so much better; except it doesn't come with that chess game. All the games that come with XP and Vista are much worse on Vista (hearts, solitaire, minesweeper, etc.) - not that you should base your computer decisions on the crappy games that come preinstalled, lol.

xvart.

Back