What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh man, robotic masters on the way...

• Thread starter MrFlyTrap2
  • Start date

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Defiantly don't want this thing coming after me in the forest...

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W1czBcnX1Ww&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

that thing is insane...its so creepy looking, is it coming at me or running away? :)

~b

I thought when the guy kicked it, it was going to turn around and
fighting0033.gif

It's too life like the way if you kick it it refuses to fall over,too lifelike... too creepy.

Ya, what makes it look the most like it's alive is when it's trying to compensate to prevent falling over...creepily life-like.

Did anyone else laugh out loud at the ice part?

That thing costed lots of cash I was in robotics servos for that capability must be very expensive :)
And the power drain .....

You know, it consumes a lot of power, it has a generator built into it.

LOL @ ozzy and the ray gun...

The thing creeps me out as well... It's like a crazy cross between insectoid and those big "Star Wars" walker things from The Empire Strikes Back...

Very cool. Personally, I'd love to find a campground or picnic site in the mountains with some folks just enjoying the day until... "Dog" is released on their unsuspecting arses! Oh, I'd pay to see the hilarity that would then ensue!!

I thought they had like taken some legs off a taxidermed deer and put them on the robot somehow.

I thought so I mean keeping the hold one those servos would take soo much power :D
Now On Maya I made a Ratchet and Clank style robot I want more of a scary SCIFI killer or something

Oh man, I couldn't stop laughing. For some reason, it just looks so hilarious, especially when falling. That is really impressive though...especially compensating for uneven and slippery terrain!!!

Holy crap.

Definitely major creepy lookin'..............

"I for one, welcome our new mechanized overlords and praise their arrival."

(where is that quote from ayway? Futurama?)

Is this the beginning of Skynet?

Definitely major creepy lookin'..............

"I for one, welcome our new mechanized overlords and praise their arrival."

(where is that quote from ayway? Futurama?)

futurama indeed

It must have one heck of a gyroscope inside. Pretty impressive indeed. What was the deal with it jumping? They programmed it to do that, or it recognized the pink below and made sure not to land on it?

xvart.

The jumping of this robot somewhat goes into the roots of how it works... for a long time the 'traditional' way we envisioned robot movement was along the lines of Honda's ASIMO style, very calculated, slow, just like the 80's dance.

hehe this is a good one... yes... face plant for the investors!

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASoCJTYgYB0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Then some got the idea, hey that's now how we move until we're 80, nor is that how animals move. And a lot of projects began to watch the locomotion of various animals, snakes, pumas, kangaroos, etc. Once we got a good understand of how they don't fall over and why, some came up with 'jumping bots.' MIT Legs lab did some great robots that looked like plungers running around. Basically these robots that don't stop, they always move. "Big Dog" seems to be somewhat of a mix, but defiantly has its roots in the jumping category.

While big dog looks sad on the ice, it's truly amazing. I'm not even that skilled on ice, falling 3 times leg up in the air style this winter alone!

but sigh... It's only a matter of time before big dog is scrambling to my car with an attached taser accessory and ticket printer.

This is actually related to my field (biomechanics of animal locomotion), and I know the guy they consulted with for this robot. The difference MrFlytrap is talking about is dynamic vs static stability. In robots like Asimo, the robot is always stable - you could hit 'pause' at any time and it wouldn't fall over. The same is not true for real animals, who 'bounce' as they walk and run. Overall, they're stable, but only due to repeated applications of force via the legs, which is why if you disrupt the pattern (say, by tripping them), they fall over.

Also, I'm not sure this thing uses servos. It sounds awfully like it's got an air compressor, especially with the 'clicks' in the externally-powered one. Pneumatic muscles are actually being used more and more in biomechanics, since they simulate some properties of real muscles (such as the length-tension curve).

Mokele

4 legged robot looks clumsy and slow. I suggest they make a robot in the image of a large centipede with red glowing eyes, an exoskeleton made of steel, and sharp metal legs. That way it'll have stability, traction, speed, and powerful mandibles that can tear human flesh.

Back