Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies; I agree with at least part of all of them. I was bothered because no crime was mentioned in the school's email to parents. The email wasn't sent in the heat of the moment; it was after 7 last night. Like many of you, I figured there must be more to the story, but felt the email either shouldn't have mentioned the arrest or should have indicated the charges. Otherwise it creates the impression, like one (or more?) you mentioned that an empty gun in the house is a criminal offense. Or that a couple of kids can make up a story and get someone who happens to have a gun arrested.

Today, our newspaper's website said the arrested person had threatened a student with a revolver last Friday and that school staff were worried he was going to the school yesterday with the gun. That certainly seems like enough to arrest him, especially because they discovered the (stolen) gun at his house. Interestingly, the article updated this afternoon said it was unknown whether he's a student, even though the school's email last night said he is. It shows how much confusion there can be even when bullets didn't fly.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but if it belonged to the older brother is it stolen? my younger brother borrows my rifles all the time...........i mean it can belong to the older brother and he could have stolen it from him but the email does not say that(was this fact in the newspaper?). i live a half a block from an elementary school....next door to a day care and no one bats an eye when i haul guns in and out of the house on a regular basis.....i do love rural Montana.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    on a similar "what am i missing?" and firearms:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes....govt.guns.cnn
    Holy cr@p! That's some scary stuff!!

It's stuff like that that keeps me from the firing range anymore; it just ain't worth it, ya know?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. To the schools credit, something is better than nothing with regards to a notification of some kind. A second note should be sent, or meeting, with the updated and corrected info as well. Glad a situation was abated. They must have had permission to enter the home as well I'm guessing.

On a similar note I just got a email of Dean Martin and John Wayne on horses talking about what Mr. Wayne wants for his new daughter when she grows up. Kind of touching. If he only knew.... the Duke would be kickin' tail all over the states and then some.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Holy cr@p! That's some scary stuff!!

It's stuff like that that keeps me from the firing range anymore; it just ain't worth it, ya know?
    chances are i know exactly the malfunction that caused it......sounds like a slam fire given the gun jammed up immediatly folowing the 2 round burst.......no way you should be able to call ita machine gun cause #1 itsa 100% accident caused a machine malfunctioning(a machine malfuctioning? that never happens........) #2 the only way to do it intentionally is to rig the gun so that when you pull the trigger the first time it just keeps firing until the magazine is empty or it jams reguardless as to weither your finger is on the trigger...the first round sets in motion a chain reaction that takes the trigger out of the equation after the first round.......

the guy said the guy who borrowed it ran 800 rounds through it a couple times.....guessing the gun was filthy as hell and a slam fire ofccured, nothing more, nothing less.............definatly not a machine gun
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a frightening story. It made my blood boil! I only own a .22 myself, but my friend owns several cabinets full of vintage WWII rifles from various countries. We regularly take these to the range and blow through tons of rounds, and occasionally there is a misfire. Who woulda guessed that could turn into a life changing event? I forwarded this story to him btw, thanks for posting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misfire and slam fire are two different things.........misfires happen all the time with cheap or old ammo.....no real big deal if your paying attention and realize it happened......
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back to my story for a moment, someone asked how the gun coulod be considered stolen if it belonged to the guy's older brother. Someone had reported the theft four years ago in a town about 20 miles from here, so big bro is now charged with possession of stolen property (I think).

Last year a high ranking police official in the neighboring city, which has an appallingly high murder rate, said the problem is that if someone bumps into someone else, the one who gets bumped pulls out a gun instead of settling it with fistfight like he remembers. A couple days later, the paper published a letter to the editor in which someone wrote that the proper response to one person bumping another isn't a fistfight, it's for one to say sorry and the other to say OK. But at least when hotheads limit themselves to fists instead of a gun, fewer of them die and none of the bystanders do.

As for Rattler's video, I didn't watch the whole thing but don't remember hearing anyone say the gun wasn't modified. It seems to me that there must be more to the story, since the guy apparently was convicted by a jury in Wisconsin, not Berkeley. Unless it was full of philosophy students from Madison, a central Wisconsin jury ought to include some people who know their way around guns. Unless the prosecutor excluded all potential jurors who did, a power I think the prosecution shouldn't have. On the other hand, maybe the jurors, unlike those in, say Berkeley, were inclined to accept whatever the prosecutor and police said in the trial. Maybe like my story, we peel back the layers to see what's underneath and find more layers.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast