Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something?

Dear Parents/Guardian:

I am writing to inform you of an incident which took place today, Wednesday, March 19, at approximately 11:00 a.m. Two students informed a school counselor of a rumor that a student was planning to bring a gun to school. The administration, with the assistance of our School Resource Officer, the school security team, and the XXXXXXX Police Department, investigated the rumor immediately and determined that the student in question was not in school. The XXXXXXX Police were able to locate, apprehend and arrest the student without incident. During a search of the studentís home the police found an unloaded hand gun that belonged to the studentís older brother. There is no evidence that at anytime the student brought a gun into our building.

We encourage our students to use good judgment and bring matters like this to our attention. I appreciate and commend the students who came forward with the information that helped ensure the safety of all members of the XXXXXXX Community. I also commend the XXXXX Police Department for their quick response and the professional manner in which this incident was handled. If you have any questions regarding this incident, please donít hesitate to call me.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals ó but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they searched his house on hear say and without a court order? Dang it is easy to get someone you don't like in trouble these days. I dunno who or what this guy has done to invoke this, but who knows.

What were you thinking Bruce?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, you are missing something..
    you are missing the part of the story that explained WHY the student was arrested..
    im very confidant there was a good reason...police dont go around arresting kids unless they have some good evidence...the school either doesnt know the reason, or they cant say for legal reasons..

either way..I say "good job" to the school and the police..
    very well handled IMO..

you shouldnt assume the letter contains ALL there is to know, and the kid was arrested "for no good reason"..which is what many people are probably already assuming...the letter probably contains about 10% of everything there is to know about this case..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by the nature of the letter this sounds like a high school letter (dear parents/guardian). Because of this the student is most likely underage and so as Scotty said they are probably omitting a lot of information about the nature of the arrest for the protection of the minor. If however there was nothing major omitted, then the police would not have had the right to invade the student's home and do a search based on hear-say. If this were the case I could do that to anybody I didn't like and say they were slanging guns out of their home. Generally, when two people are accusing one person of something, it carries more authenticity, however there still has to be some information missing from this letter or the police could not have violated the student's rights.

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why state a gun was found at all if it was legally obtained, especially if not owned by the student ?

Maybe they can't say but so far I can see no evidence for this letter to be written and sent out at all. The student will now be “scarred for life” with the weapon incident thus alienating him more. So now we are creating what was feared with the rumor of two students ?

Let’s ban all handguns so the only people that have them will be the criminals, thereby making it easier to tell them apart from the ordinary citizens.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

(Written by a German after WWII)

Maybe I'm off your point Bruce but it looks worse without some detail. A meeting would have been better than a note.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yah know i live in a rural area, guessing 80% of the households have firearms, i live in a high poverty area(actually though the wife, girls and i live pretty good i think we are technically below the poverty line), in an area with fairly high crime............in 20 some years i cant recall of a single instance where a student took a firearm to school intent on a malicious act......the occasional knife? sure. hell my buddies and i hauled our guns to school on a regular basis, though we made sure to park OFF school property(across the street) to cut down on time cause we would head out hunting as soon as the final bell rang..........all the teachers knew this, none flinched...........hell most of us carried pocket knives, even in the post-Columbine idiosity and most the teachers knew, didnt care and asked to borrow on occasion...............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will have higher rate of crime if you ban handguns. Your not going to stop a criminal from having them. Black markets are every where. I dunno about this kid, but I swear parents are not doing a good job at raising these children now a days. Like rattler said he used to bring a gun to school to go hunting, but no one flinched because he was a good kid and was going hunting after class.

I dunno about this guy and what they found, but like drosera said. Why even say anything about the handgun found if it is legally obtained and not even the students in question. I didn't think about that.

Sometimes certain people generally do questionable things sometimes so I am not going to say a job well done ATM, but it is a catch 22. Had they not done something and something happened then it would have been asked why didn't they do something. Had they found nothing then they would have been asked why did they do something there was not enough info. So I think sometimes it is a no win situation. I think the same applies to the whole terrorist situations we find ourselves in.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a similar "what am i missing?" and firearms:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes....govt.guns.cnn
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast