User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bored... so... Spring Break Pictures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bored... so... Spring Break Pictures!

Me being a nerd and all, it wasn't nearly as... um...... interesting as I'm sure some spring breaks in my age group were But we went to Charleston, South Carolina for a week and had a blast!!! Besides the amazing food (baaaaaaarbecue) it was LOVELY to escape cold, dark, snowy western NY for a little while... things are GREEN down that way!!! Just thought I'd share some pictures that plant folks might appreciate, since they have such beautiful photo ops down there!

Tupelo Swamp at Audubon Swamp Garden, Magnolia Plantation. No CPs. le sad.

Ok, he's fauna, not flora.... still very cool Although I did think the alligators, however small, were a bit too close for comfort at Magnolia...

Camellia at Magnolia Plantation... they have TONS of them at the gardens and many were in bloom

Angel Oak, hands down the most awesome tree I have ever met. It's supposed to be 1400 years old, "the oldest living thing east of the Mississippi". See the speck? The speck is me. And yes, all of those branches (ALL of them) are the same tree.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that tree is amazing. I want one in my yard someday! Do you know what kind it is?
    And in the first picture, the surface of the water looks like hard ground because of the stuff growing on it. Really nice photos, thanks for sharing
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that tree is crazy!
    Max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DaveyJones- Yup, it's a live oak, Quercus virginiana. I fell in LOVE with these trees while I was there.. they're all so beautiful!!! They grow in coastal areas from Virginia down to Florida. better get one planted now if you want one that big

Here are a few more pics....

Charleston Tea Plantation, the only place where tea is commercially grown in the US (with a live oak branch at the top; like most places around Charleston, they had quite a few of them!). As a tea fanatic, I was quite happy to stumble across this place... they make some lovely Earl Grey (or "Governor Gray" as they call it)

Azaleas at the tea plantation... they were blooming everywhere!

An anhinga at Magnolia Plantation... I thought it was a cormorant by the way it was drying its wings, but a guide later corrected me... relatives of cormorants? Neat birds either way!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

A couple more cause everybody likes the trees These live oaks are at Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant, SC... they were planted in 1744! The picture doesn't begin to do it justice, it was incredible!

And another angle of Angel Oak, from the base of the main trunk... I could have stayed and photographed it all day. VERY cool stop if you're ever in the Charleston area.

And those fern-looking things all over it? The people there called them "resurrection plants" though I don't know their Latin name... they shrivel up and turn brown when dry and poof back out again overnight when it rains! They have a thing for live oaks but they don't hurt the trees, thank goodness!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW that tree has some girth to it.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing pics! wow, that tree is really awesome looking, I love how the branches dip down to the ground because they're so heavy.

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my god....

down in florida at the Thomas Edison Museum thing...they have a huge Banyan tree in the front yard. that thing was HUGE!!!

great pics! looked like a lot of fun!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast