What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna

start a carnivorous plant society in my state...how do i do that? and CAN i do that

Find a group of people that want to help establish it that live near you. If you want to get real formal you can start making positions (president, vice president, etc.) and a charter. If you just want to be a bunch of people that get together every once in a while you are almost done. Advertise in places where you might find others that share your interests.

Obviously there is a difference between NECPS and backyard growers, and it comes down to organization. Everything has to start small, though; and good luck! I wish there was a society in my area.

xvart.

and in mine... a little while ago a guy was on here looking to start an Indianapolis CP society....it never went through. im a member of the NECPS and i live in KY...so its tough to be a funtional member. ive always had a vision of a Bluegrass CP society... :) but not many growers live in KY haha.

Alex

I'd start one in Texas, but even if we held meetings in the "middle", which I guess would be Austin, thats still 7+ hours for the people in West Texas.

Anybody can start any kind of club or organization they want to as long as its legal. I guess it depends on how formal you want it to be....just a club where like-minded folks get together or if you want by-laws and all that stuff.

Just bear in mind the Golden Rule....be prepared that you and maybe a small handful of people will do ALLLLLL the work (and it IS work)...and everybody else will just come along for a good time.

So as long as you don't mind a lot of responsibility, clubs are always fun. :)

Yup, I'm with PAK on this...The Golden Rule, AKA the 20/80 rule: 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

I'm in the process of starting up an informal CP society here locally. I've been in touch with the local orchid society where I'm going to have an article in one of their newsletters (I was going to set up a table at their show this year, but it conflicts with a business trip... watch out, Georgia, here I come) and the local zoo with their Earth Day celebration. I got some really good advice and information from NECPS. They're super-friendly and super-helpful!

Yup, I'm with PAK on this...The Golden Rule, AKA the 20/80 rule: 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

depends..............im in a "club" where 3% do 97%.................

Now oregon should have a societey :) there are lots of growers in this state I have too many siblings so well I can't be driven far....
I'm sorta in the middle of all of this sorta close to coravlllis,salem and eugene there re a good amount of CPers around here. Well I would like to seriously start somthing but as I said an hour or less since my mom can't go out much further ...
The ups is I'm homeschooled centerally located and have lots of time so I dunno maybe maybe not.

well i noticed that FL and PA and several others have a CPS and i thought ill start one here...but that'll have to wait 4 or 5 years lol :D

Back