What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucker Strike

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I just heard on the news that truckers will go on strike April 1st to protest $4.00 a gallon diesel fuel. What's your thoughts?

I think it is a good idea it is absolutely stupid they have to use their money to buy the gas so they have every right to lower the prices... hope it gets resolved soon or we are screwed though.

still have cheaper gas than any other western nation at $4 a gallon..........quit complaining and raise your prices......

I guess we should stop taking our prescription medications to protest high drug prices. That makes as much sense as what they're doing. I think it's stupid as hell.

Truckers shouldn't even have to pay for their own fuel. The companies they work for should pay it.

i agree with JLAP.
holy bad word this is bad...do you know how much the economy is gonna suffer cause of this?! this is bad!!

Yup, stupid as hell.

The taxes paid by truckers don't even remotely cover the costs they impose on the rest of us. The wear & tear on a road increases exponentially with wheel load, so a 40-ton truck causes as much damage damage as a whole lot of cars, but guess which contributes less towards road construction, maintenance, etc. Overloaded trucks, which are way too common, cause a huge amount of damage.

Not surprisingly, the heavily subsidized industry is booming and has a huge amount of political power. I recently saw an estimate at a reliable, but forgotten source that the number truck-miles in my region is expected to double within the next 20 years or by 2020, I forget which. I'll be happy to see them on strike and more things either produced locally or transprted by train.

good...maybe this will move more freight to the railroads, which are WAYYYYY more efficient than trucks..trains use much less fuel and pollute far less than trucks for the same amount of materials moved.

and the railroads have to pay to maintain their own infrastructure too, while being taxed out the rear by every village, town, city, county and state their tracks cross...unlike truckers, who have their highways paid for by the taxpayers....

Scot

As a union member who was just told this week my job is in serious jeopardy due the insane oil prices, I have mixed feelings on this strike. I do not support making the truckers themselves foot the bill for the gas costs - it either needs to be paid by the company employing them if applicable, or they need to pass the cost on to their customer. So I think how it is currently working isn't right, but I don't think a strike is the right way to fix it. Is this just a one day strike? Whatever the case, it won't bring fuel prices down. It will piss people off.

Didnt they say they were going to do it in 05 too?

another thing...what can a trucker strike DO about high gas prices??
how can a strike bring down prices?
it cant..except maybe a neglible decline because the truckers will be using less gas while on strike, therefore decreasing demand..but thats it..

(so if they want to keep prices down, they should just stop driving forever! ;)

its a myth that government can "do something" about gas prices..
well.they could..if the environmentalists would allow us to drill for our own oil,
that could bring down prices..
but since thats not an option, we are slaves to the nations that ARE allowed to produce oil..
they fix the prices for us, by limiting production, to keep prices high..

I dont see anything positive this strike could accomplish.
you strike to get beter treatment from your employer..who CAN do something about your working conditions..who do the truckers think is going to "fix" high gas prices??
and how are they going to do it?? there is no one in the USA with that power..
not as long we remain a free capatilist nation anyway..
maybe if we move toward to full-on communism, the government could control everything for us...but other that that, the truckers are just as screwed as the rest of us when it comes to gas prices...and they can influence the price just as much as we can...meaning "not at all"..

Scot

also alot of truckers are owner-operators.......by striking they are infact striking against themselves................oil prices are balancing out after being unnaturally low for a long time.....they aint going to go down anytime soon no matter who does what.......when you do the math and figure in cost to refine, what gallons you loose to the refining process, distribution costs, marketing costs, taxes ectera most of the US actually isnt paying $100/barrel prices for gasoline, at the pump your actually paying lower....last break down i saw showed your paying bout $20/barrel less at the pump than the crude is selling for on the open market.........

Don't forget to add the record profits for the oil companies.

to which i reply..................so? that kinda like complaining bout the $20/bushel wheat this spring when $5 is the norm.............the farmers didnt set the price the world market did

Back