Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best dinosaur books - seeking reccomendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm it's all about tyranosaurs lol thats the only one i know
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird to me that dinos don't have double latin names - with the exception of "T. rex" - anybody know why?
    I believe in most cases genus names are used to describe the dinosaur usually. Tyrannosaurus is the genus name... Stegosaurus is a genus name that includes several species, but when we speak of Stegosaurus we mean S. stenops unless otherwise specified.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link to the latin bi-nomials Rattler! I assumed they would have them but as Finch said, most books only state the genus name. That confuses me more than the two word name - just cos I'm used to seeing two names in other books I guess. It'll make looking stuff up online much easier as well - thanks!!

Here's a nice link given to me by a dino sculptor at the sculpting board today, it's a good sized catalog of skeletal diagrams if anyone is interested . http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/index.htm

Yep, you got it Joosa - I was watching the updated version of Walking... on discovery last weekend and thought "I like dinos - I should sculpt some"! I have never done one, I started a dragon once but froze at the end when I was facing the thought of doing all the scales. Now I've learned the dark secret I needed to know to do scales/reptile textures without loosing my mind (the same guy also taught me how to do sculpt lifelike chainmail recently) so now It's dino time! I've kinda burned out on superheroes, warriors and the other typical subjects for me at the moment so I think it will be invigorating to change subjects for a while.

Now I have to decide on a scale before I start cutting armature wire, if I end up doing more than one species I'll want them to fit together in a series. I suppose the idea is just pick the largest size of the largest species I might possibly do and scale down from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it took so long for me to get these, ended up having to go into the attic to find my books...

These three might be of interest for you. Not much skeletal/musculature stuff in them and they are all fairly old but the art work could be pretty inspiring:

Dinosaurs: A Global View by S & S Czerkas
    The Dinosaurs by William Stout
    Illustrated Encyclopedia of Prehistoric Flying Reptiles by Dr. Peter Wellnhofer
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12