What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin for "Mary"...

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but I figure that it wouldn't hurt to see if I can get any leads here on TF.

A friend of mine and I are looking for someone. Consider this a "milk-carton-missing-person" ad.

I am looking for someone by the name of "Mary" (I am sorry, but I do not have a last name...) who used to live in San Francisco, CA and then moved to Indiana. This "Mary" I am told had a collection of CP and other unusual plants. Since she was moving, she sold some plants to a local hydroponics in the Upper Market area of SF. One of the plants she unloaded there was a ceph, but this ceph is pretty big - like ungamunga big.

I'm just trying to track Mary down to see if I can get some more info on where she got this plant, the cephs heritage, if you will. We are not positive if it is a hummers giant, but... it would be nice to know for sure. For now its stuck with a label Cephalotus follicularis 'Mary's Giant' ...

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
-Rob

Could you maybe post some pics of this cephalotus, i am very intreagued now and really want to see how 'big' it is now.

Thanks

Hi Bianchi914,

I will take photos of mine when time permits - but the one I have of "Marys Giant" is only a smaller division of a much larger plant that I got from a friend. When I visit my friend again I will take photos of the size of those pitchers (about 2 weeks). For now, mine are just a little larger than that of my other typicals.

Well thanks anyways good luck finding mary

You might want to try the cp listserv. I think I remember a mary on it.

Do you have any idea if Mary was a forum member ever? Since female CPers are in the minority, I usually remember the women who've hung out here.

Mary?.... :scratch:

It looks a little something like this:
b623ce09.jpg

:D

Capslock

Note: I had all kinds of issues with this plant - and will not be displaying current photos until they're less embarrassing and tragic.

Wow that is one nice ceph i really like it congrats!

and i struggle to keep mine going.......................sheeeeesh.................

MAXXX!! wasupbro!! did you get that from Mary as well? thats what it kinda looked like - FRIQIN MONSTER like that!!! is that a hummers giant? I am not sure if this one exactly is one, but the mother plant looked like that.

That's a nice lookin' good sized plant that ya got there Max.

Oz: thanks I'll check listserv!

PAK:I am not sure -- but just thought it was worth the shot. I like to uncover the story of the plants I obtain / where they came from, who had them... just thought it was worth the shot posting here :) Thanks!

Hey Rich!!!

Yeah I got it at the store she left them at. I was going to the store to get some supplies and it wasn't open yet. Peering in the window I saw it and some other plants she left (including my N. ampularia "giant red") sitting in there. I was literally shaking! Why the hell were these perfect huge plants randomly for sale?? Anyway, I camped the front door till they opened and snapped up one of the two cephs (the one in the picture) and two neps, the amp and an aristo.

Like I said, though, I've had problems with it. It got powdery mildew in a big ugly way that I couldn't shake. It now lives outdoors on my deck railing, where it's finally growing again, but looks nothing like the picture anymore. Someday I hope it really comes back. No idea if it's a Hummer's Giant or anything, just that it's BY FAR the biggest ceph I've ever seen. I'd love to know how she grew it.

Max

Dang you are soo lucky maybe some day i will come to a store with a huge Cephalotus or Nepenthes and it will be for sale... :-)) ok maybe not but I can always wish :-)).

-ryan

Thanks Max!!!

You, Me, and Lois want to know where this "Mary" got it. I talked to Kate there at the store, and that is where I found out Mary moved to Indiana!! Mine has 2 traps with a nice 3rd growing in the greenhouse now. Doing well, but I can't wait for it to attain that size that you have there. ITS FRIQIN HUGE!!

I wish I had a ceph...:glare:

Back