User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dictation software - is it any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hope it works for you
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do I but I'm not holding (or is that releasing) my breath just yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago, I found it necessary to use this type of software. After a search of all the reviews & info I could locate, I settled on Dragon Naturally Speaking [iirc]. As others have already said, it is critical to spend the time training the program (longer than 10 minutes).

In addition, I found that microphone position is critical. They typically provide guidelines which should be followed. It shouldn't be directly in line with air flow from your mouth as that distorts the sound but too far away and sound quality also suffers. Correct position was approx 1" to the side of your mouth iirc. Once this position is located & the program is trained, it is important that mic position is repeated exactly each time you work with the program.

If you get a high quality program and follow the instructions diligently, it is possible to achieve 95+% error-free dictation (and command) functionality. Since my experience with this type of software was several years ago, recent advances may have improved operations even more...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since no one has mentioned it, Vista (I'm not sure about Home Basic) Home Premium and higher editions come with speech recognition. Check this one out and some of these bloopers. I've played with the Vista speech recognition, as well as IBM's Via Voice and Dragon Naturally Speaking and they all seem to be about equally easy/difficult to train and use. The 2 biggest differances I see is A, it free with Vista amd B. I must admit I like the features in the Vista version best, but that's just my opinion.
    Good luck and most importantly, the more you use it, the better and easier it gets.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a laptop running some incarnation of Vista - what's the program called? I'll see if my version has it preinstalled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12